New Setup Advice DS216PLAY for Emby server

Strudo76

Strudo76

So my PC that runs my media centre (WMC) has died today, so I'm considering options regarding repair/replace

Currently I have a DS212j running as pretty much just a storage device.

I was thinking about replacing that with a DS216PLAY, since it does hardware HVEC decoding, and running the server from that. Then just getting a media player box (something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MXQ-Pro-S905X-Quad-Core-4K-HDMI-Android-6-0-Wifi-Smart-TV-BOX-Movie-Media-Player/132275974219) as a playback device, using the Emby Kodi plugin.

Would I be looking at a pretty trouble free setup like that, or will it just be painful and frustrating?

Thanks

mikeraburn

I can only speak to the performance of the DS216play.

I have a DS216play and have zero buyers remorse.

I am the only person connecting to it with EMBY server installed using a ROKU Ultra for video playback using EMBY Blue Neon.

The very few "issues" I have had during video playback have been directly related to the ROKU firmware.

I connect to it for audio using the DS Audio app on two other android devices.

I see the Ebay page has a .au address so it seems a ROKU is not one of your choices.

IF that box has KODI pre installed, I would personally stay away from it.

Strudo76

I see the Ebay page has a .au address so it seems a ROKU is not one of your choices.

IF that box has KODI pre installed, I would personally stay away from it.

Not a fan of KODI? What are the issues there that you know of?

The ROKU are a little hard to get in Aus, mostly I believe this is due to a major national ISP stitching up a deal to supply rebadge ROKU devices as their own. Looks like I can get them, but they also look pretty expensive.

mikeraburn

KODI is a wonderful open source software when YOU download it and install it yourself.

Many "companies" have package the KODI into their own boxes for sale and even included the addons from TVaddons that allow you to stream content that is not so legal.

https://torrentfreak.com/kodi-turmoil-continues-as-tvaddons-mysteriously-disappears-170613/

I would not buy that box because you do not know  who has access to your box anymore via a back end from the Tvaddons preinstalled.

There are many posts in these forums about how great a raspberry PI / KODI / Emby work together and your DS216play would be your attached storage.

Strudo76

Hmmm, that's a valid concern.

My only concern with the Pi 3 is it doesn't do hardware H265 decoding, and I'm yet to find a definitive answer whether the Emby software uses the hardware transcoding features of the 216PLAY. Some say it doesn't, and there are posts on the forums regarding the work around required to get it to use the hardware features of the 214PLAY/215PLAY, and then the trouble with DTS with that work around in place.

Until yesterday, I was running Emby server and WMC on a Win 7 PC, using the DS212j as storage. I tried running Emby server on the 212j and using the Pi3 KODI with Emby plugin. Worked mostly good for AVC, but as soon as anything HVEC started, everything pretty much just stopped. If the 216PLAY does the hardware transcoding it might just work.

mikeraburn

I have zero issues with my 216Play, Emby Server, Roku Ultra, Blue Neon, playing x265s.

No transcoding by the Roku is needed. They play Direct.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Strudo76

No transcoding by the Roku is needed. They play Direct.

That won't work well on the Pi3 for h265. It cannot decode h265 fast enough to watch, so it needs to be transcoded by the server. I don't think the 216PLAY is fast enough to transcode h265 either, unless it takes advantage of the hardware features.

Strudo76

I wonder if I just fork out for a Roku Ultra, and install the server on the 212j again. Might be usable if nothing ever needs transcoding...

mikeraburn

There is a DS video app on the Roku if you can install it from Roku.

mikeraburn

Let me be more specific.

I've had a few issues here and there but the majority have due to the Roku firmware.

X265 has been no issue for me.

I am sure there are exceptions and some files may need transcoding and may not even play.

I am far from an expert and I am just relaying my personal experiences.