What are the technical specifications for EMBY server of 150 simultaneous users

edwinuscamm

Dibbes

I remember having an acoustic coupler on an 8088, was good friends with a couple that ran the largest BBS in Washington, they eventually turned it into an ISP and of course like all good things eventually went underground.  Nothing like Teletrivia and the such.  Or accessing "CD Libraries" lol.

I actually still have my Sperry XT 8088 with CGA screen... Should get it out of storage and see if it still works...

Untoten

What are the technical specifications for EMBY server of 150 simultaneous users, 

in Windows 7?

In Windows 7

A good metric I always use is 2k passmark CPU per 1080p stream.

Guest asrequested

I haven't changed any of my existing, yet. But h.265 HWA was a big factor in getting the kaby lake. I may start testing that. Does handbrake support the kaby lake h.265, yet? I need to test that.

If anyone is interested. I just converted a 2hr, 1080p, 3300Kb/s movie to h.265 with handbrake, at 100fps. With hardware decoding enabled, it won't work. Once you disable that...bingo! This is with an i7 7700k

• 3 weeks later...
drikosv8
Hello people

I intend to have 150 clients in total, more acedito that will simultaneously be some 80 clients, and of these 80 clients only 30 will transcode at the same time.

So I need help buying the right equipment.

Some questions

What system is the operating system indicated?

What machine configuration should I have? If you can pass the purchase link would be very good.

What storage drive should I have?

If you can give me the complete list with links of everything I need so that I can make the purchase it would be very good !!

Or if there is a machine ready for me to buy that meets this demand, I also thank

Thank you very much everyone

Ola pessoal

Pretendo ter 150 clientes no total, mais acedito que simulaneamente serão uns 80 clientes, e desses 80 clientes apenas 30 vão transcodificar ao mesmo tempo.

Então preciso de ajuda para comprar o equipamento correto.

Algumas perguntas

Qual o sistema o sistema operacional indicado?

Qual a configuração de maquina que devo ter? Se puder passar o link da compra seria muito bom.

Qual a unidade de armazenamento que devo ter?

Se puderem me passar a lista completa com links de tudo que preciso para eu poder efetuar a compra seria muito bom!!

Ou se existir alguma maquina pronta para eu comprar que atenda essa demanda eu agradeço tambem

Agradeço muito a todos

Jdiesel

I started to price out a server that would meet those needs but found I was making too many assumptions. I can say with confidence that you will not find any prebuilt off the shelf hardware that will do this. You are at a minimum looking at either a dual socket server with two physical 8 core modern Xeon CPUs or a high end server class Nvidia GPU. Depending on the amount of storage you need, which will likely need to be SSD, will greatly dictate the overall cost.

I started configuring a Prolient DL180 Gen9 and was well over $10,000 USD without even adding in a OS.

Maybe @@pir8radio will chime in as he has some experience with higher end servers and Nvidia GPUs and could probably give a better estimate.

Edited by Jdiesel

Happy2Play

Realistically you would need multiple servers pointing to the same data.

• Like 1

drikosv8

Does anyone know how many clients Qnap Ts453a can transcode simultaneously and if it is possible to install the emby on it?

Tks

Alguem sabe quantos clientes o Nas Qnap Ts453a pode transcodificar simultaneamente e se é possivel instalar o emby nele?

Obrigado

PenkethBoy

i have a 853a and yes you can install emby on it

as for transcoding its not that great as its only a celeron processor - struggles with one 1080p transcode

possibly 2 at 720p but not tested this

pir8radio

I started to price out a server that would meet those needs but found I was making too many assumptions. I can say with confidence that you will not find any prebuilt off the shelf hardware that will do this. You are at a minimum looking at either a dual socket server with two physical 8 core modern Xeon CPUs or a high end server class Nvidia GPU. Depending on the amount of storage you need, which will likely need to be SSD, will greatly dictate the overall cost.

I started configuring a Prolient DL180 Gen9 and was well over $10,000 USD without even adding in a OS.

Maybe @@pir8radio will chime in as he has some experience with higher end servers and Nvidia GPUs and could probably give a better estimate.

Like others said, multiple servers would be the cost effective way to go. 

I was looking into nginx as a load balancer for multiple backend servers...    Theoretically, lets say you build a server that can handle 10 streams, pretty easy to do.  So for 150 users all transcode streaming you get 10 per server you would need 15 servers.   You can then load balance using nginx with the IP_HASH load balancing.  Setup nginx to limit the quantity of users allowed to connect to any given server to 10.    The IP_HASH directive keeps users on a particular emby server... So user1's first request will go to server1 and every following request will go to the same server, so that the emby tokens/login/playback will function correctly..    You then just have to shut down each of your 10 servers one at a time, and sync their emby directory/databases to the master server once a day? You wont have accurate watched statuses or user preferences as they will be lost if not changed from the master server.. You will loose those and some other options until a central database can be used with emby (like My SQL)...   I'm not a database person, there may be a better way to sync all 10 databases with the database emby uses today, I don't know.   Hardware wise the above should work.    

That said, If you are rolling in cash, and you want a single server, I bet you could pull off 150 streams with one of the supermicro GPU boxes...  But I have no clue if FFMPEG can deal with XX number of GPU's, I don't have that much cash to blow to play with any of these:

I will add though, If my current server ever craps out I'm going to try my hardest to pick something from this page!  https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/gpu.cfm  and probably go with the SuperServer 2028GR-TRT   that holds 4 GPU's, the nvidia GPU's with no NVENC limitations range from $500-$9,000 each depending on model.  :o

Edited by pir8radio

• 1 month later...
chingsay

I've tried this and it's a pain... Without a single Database, like MySQL or MSSQL, the sync'ing has to be done throught the Trakt plugin, which, for this purpose, is sketchy at best.

Back to the original question, from a hardware point it's not going to be cheap. You're looking at enterprise hardware, like a HP DL380 Gen9 (or any hardware vendor equivalent) with enterprise rated SSDs, 2 8-Core hyperthreaded CPU's and 64GB memory (running most jobs directly in memory instead of swapping this out). Also, if you're already spending this amount of money, you might as well get a Windows Server license, instead of Windows 7. There really is a difference in the way hardware resources are handled.

Even with the above specs, I'm not sure if you can serve more than 50 concurrent streams on even 720p.

You said that you're not sure if you can serve more than 50 concurrent stream on even 720p. Actaully I want to build an emby server with 50 concurrent stream..so does the specification that you mentioned above will be applied my need? And any suggestion please! Thanks you very much!

Jdiesel

I think if I was going to do a setup to serve a large number of concurrent streams (50+) I would put my resources into lots of fast storage space and have multiple encodes for each file and turn off transcoding on the server all all together. Emby is smart enough to pick the best version for each playback session. I would probably host the following versions:

1 Mbps x264 with 2-ch AAC in a MP4 container 

3 Mbps x264 with 2-ch AAC in a MP4 container

5 Mbps x264 with 2-ch AAC and 5.1 AC3 in a MP4 container

10 Mbps x264 with 2-ch AAC and 5.1 AC3 in a MP4 container

Original file

Edited by Jdiesel

Jdiesel

I think if I was going to do a setup to serve a large number of concurrent streams (50+) I would put my resources into lots of fast storage space and have multiple encodes for each file and turn off transcoding on the server all all together. Emby is smart enough to pick the best version for each playback session. I would probably host the following versions:

1 Mbps x264 with 2-ch AAC in a MP4 container 

3 Mbps x264 with 2-ch AAC in a MP4 container

5 Mbps x264 with 2-ch AAC and 5.1 AC3 in a MP4 container

10 Mbps x264 with 2-ch AAC and 5.1 AC3 in a MP4 container

Original file

Whoops, quoted myself  :blink:

Edited by Jdiesel

PrincessClevage

Can Emby be configured to us MS SQL @@Luke ? And are all the resume states held in sql?

Edited by PrincessClevage
  • Like 1

deallier

hi

it is not that difficult to do

i have a dual socket server with two physical 8 core Xeon CPU the E5 2620 V4 gives me 32 logical Cores

a Nvida 1050 ti 6gig

and 64 gig DDR4 2400 Ram

two SSD Drives and 12 WD Reds Pro 4 TB

ok i don't have 150 users yet but i have had 20 to 30 on at the same time and barely go past the 30 percent . unless you are transcoding  then it will transcode as fast as it can if a movie in a min  or two

if you have all your VOD content in the right format to begin with it helps a lot and a bit rate of say 3000 - 5000 kbps   and spread the VOD over lots of single drives no need for a raid it will not make it any faster slower if anything because of the seek times the more single drives the more heads are seeking different content

then when you are close to the limit for the CPU setup another machine  and map the drives from the first to the second and transfer some of the users over to the second machine

hope it helps

but it is not cheap

my setup cost about  5000 Euros just for the main PC and i have had up to Three running like this until i upgraded the one i have now .

• 3 months later...

Hello guys,

So I have more/less the same situation but not with 150 users. But 100 a bit less!

What I was wondering is that I have setup the Media Server on a Linux Ubuntu with 24Gb RAM and 2 Socket x6 Core(don't remember the exact model now), 4x HDD Raid and I will have more then 100 .MP4 files on this server that will be offered to this 100 users.

This files will be played simultaneously from different users maybe 10users/file  maybe in different quality's as their bandwidth is different from each other. The Emby server do the quality switch/file so I guess the file is transcoded if I am not wrong and stored to a temp folder.

What should I consider except the bottleneck in the network. The HW what will fit my needs to have something like Netflix for 100 Users! and Should I consider a Cluster Media Server or Emby can do the trick ?

Thanks

Edited by sinaps1

Fratopolis

Hmm I work for a school district. Maybe I'll give this a try and see what happens when I serve up this much content.

Emby admins!? Mind if I take my premier license to work for a week or two to test?

pir8radio

transcoding is the hard part, you can not easily spread emby out among multiple servers... You can, but you lose some emby features.   I think 100 could be doable if none were transcoding, and media was on different arrays...  It's all about original media and transcoding...    

For example, if I had a beefy server with all of my media on one expensive SAS-1 array (there are faster sas arrays out there just an example) and I was trying to stream a 4k video encoded @ 50Mbps, The array would only support about 60 streams, and you would need a 3GBps+ internet connection, bottleneck being the drive array.   So direct streaming starts to be infeasible.  Now you either need videos that consume way less bandwidth or you transcode your high quality videos..   There are so many paths you can take, one forum post won't do it, there are way too many variables to just say "I need to support XXX users".

I guess a generic number could be about 100 people per gigabit (drive and internet bandwidth) at 10Mbps videos with no transcoding.  5Mbps you double those people.  All bets are off once you transcode, you need either a beefy GPU machine, or you have to get creative with load balancing and syncing of emby databases.  You lose play status/counts, as well as some other features, and it would get tricky.      These are my opinions only...   :)

We use sqlite. There is no alternative option at this time. Yes resume data is in the DB.

Seeing the OP is most likely going to spend a pretty penny on the hardware to support this venture, what's another 345$ for a license. @@Luke would this work if someone wanted to sync the DB between nodes?

http://litesync.io

http://litesync.io/sqlite-synchronization.html

Edited by mbnwa