[QUESTION] Which VPN is best?

CBers

CBers

Looking at getting a VPN, so wondered which one people use/prefer.

I've been looking at IPVANISH and PRIVATE INTERNET ACCESS (PIA).

I'm in the UK, so perhaps UK based VPNs are better?

Also, I use DDNS (configured on my router) to access my home services, so are VPNs and DDNS compatible ??

All comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by CBers
Added DDNS question.

shorty1483

I use hide.me for public connections. They had a good offer for two years some time ago. Never had any problem with speed or availability.

Before I had IPVanish he speed was not that great.

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1

jordy

FROOTvpn. 100% uptime, fast, cheap and servers all over the world. Been using it for a few years now.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I use pia. It's good for uptime, speed I'm not sure. I have froot too but went for pia because the guidance for installing in my router was better. But I still haven't got it to work the way I wanted. But I got some tips the other day I need to check out

Edited by Spaceboy
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

So is a VPN better on your router, or per device?

well my thinking was put it in the router because I only want to vpn access to specific sites. Everything else I want to leave to my isp so that I don't lose any speed. But it seems to be trickier than I thought

CBers

If you out it on your router, then all traffic will go through the VPN, won't it?

If using it per device, on a PC or Shield TV, then how does that get through your router etc.

Guest asrequested

I've been doing some research on this, just lately. This was a good jump-off point https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403388,00.asp  I was thinking about changing my service. I'm using Torguard. They have proven to be reliable. They currently have two UK servers. The blue symbol means they are stealth servers.

597e18a2b95c5_Snapshot_91.jpg

I was considering NordVPN. But they only have one US server.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

I used PIA for years but it started giving me troubles with certain service blocking their IPs. Switched over to IPVanish who have many more available IPs to choose from and switch them out frequently. If I ever have an IP blocked I can switch to a new working on within minutes.

• Like 1

Jdiesel

Using a VPN server in the same country as my server, 5-8ms. Other countries vary but usually under 25ms.

Guest asrequested

Using a VPN server in the same country as my server, 5-8ms. Other countries vary but usually under 25ms.

That's impressive. I get 12-15ms going directly to comcast. With my VPN it varies. With minimal traffic, I get triple that. 

Jdiesel

My server is located in a country with excellent infrastructure so that likely plays a huge part. Speeds back to North America start to suffer.

Guest asrequested

I was just trying different servers with different settings, and I found one with a great connection. 21ms latency and great bandwidth. With 9 US servers to choose from, I'm quite happy. 

jordy

If you out it on your router, then all traffic will go through the VPN, won't it?

If using it per device, on a PC or Shield TV, then how does that get through your router etc.

I just run it on the pc, but I have two pcs one runs the VPN 24/7 and the other has it installed (OpenVPN software) but only used when necessary eg just been to Europe and was handy for Financials etc

Note: I can also run two VPNs at the same time through my router.

Edited by jordy

NeauxGeaux

I run TorGuard and I personally love it. Great speeds and a great connection. I had found a promo code on reddit for $30/yr so couldn't pass that up. 

Crestj

BTW that code still works.

tglifetime50

Just tried it and now a yearly VPN service with TorGuard is only $29.99 which is only £22 ish! Not bad!

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

I think it also depends on what it is you want the VPN for.

I use one when I'm out and about for public WiFi. I rolled my own OpenVPN server and it works great for that.

• Like 1

CBers

tglifetime50

Just tried it and now a yearly VPN service with TorGuard is only $29.99 which is only £22 ish! Not bad!

And you can use the same account on multiple platforms/devices?

Crestj

And you can use the same account on multiple platforms/devices?

5 simultaneously so it says.
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

Its worth mentioning that the hardware running the VPN client needs to be powerful enough to not impact the speed. This isn't an issue with modern x86 CPUs but is an issue with ARM CPUs found in most routers and Android devices. My Asus RT-AC68U router is not powerful enough to process the OpenVPN encryption fast enough to keep up with my 25 Mbps connection. If I run the client on my PC my bandwidth is not limited by my VPN. You can use less intensive encryption algorithms at the cost of overall security however I would not recommend going as far as using the compromised PPTP VPN over OpenVPN.

• Like 2

mwongjay

For anyone considering a VPN provider take this into consideration: https://restoreprivacy.com/vpn-server-locations/. It may or may not matter to you depending on your intended use case. I use Newhosting - it's fast, doesn't use virtual locations from the tests I ran (although I didn't do 100% coverage), and they don't log. I pay $89/yr which likely is not the cheapest solution, but I've been happy with it so far.

For those asking questions about setting up openvpn on your router you can update the routing tables to have specific traffic exit out the vpn and the remaining traffic exit normally. For my setup I have a managed switch with many vlans. I added routing rules so any traffic on this vlan exits through the vpn interface and also added a kill switch in the event the vpn is down the packets will be dropped. I have 1 wifi network along with specific ports on my switch that are associated with that vlan. From my knowledge it's not as easy as using a FQDN because when/if the ip changes it will no longer work. You would need some service to automatically update the routing tables if you wanted it to work consistently assuming you are connecting to the vpn for long periods of time during which the ip might change. 

Edit: The $89/yr also includes unlimited usenet access and is capable of saturating my bandwidth (150/25mbps).

Edited by mwongjay
  • Like 2

CBers

tglifetime50

Thanks @@Crestj.

Just signed up to TorGuard for a year using that code and I got it for £18.41 ($23.47).

Gives me plenty of time to play :)

• Like 1