Any way to use the android app without Premiere?

embyrocks

embyrocks

I know software needs to be funded and all but completely limiting basic function and basically forcing users to pay to use a basic feature is pretty crazy.

i switched because i didnt like how stupid and overboard plex was getting, i wanted something free and open source, so i went for emby and emby so far is wanting to be just like plex. thinking about getting rid of emby now.

Jdiesel

You can purchase just the app itself or just use the web interface. Other option is to use Kodi and the Emby plugin. Not sure what else to tell you.

• Like 1

embyrocks

Thank you for the prompt reply, very informative, ill give the kodi app a try i guess and i was thinking about purchasing the lifetime license but after seeing how forced into it users seem to be, ill probably just go back to plex and give them my money instead of waiting for emby to catch up to them on features.

Edited by embyrocks

Hi, for us developers, emby is our job, and that is why we're unable to make it completely free. We thank you for your support.

embyrocks

i wasn't really saying it should be completely free, just not so in your face with limitations.

you should be able to playback media from the app without a subscription but leave things like downloading to your device and syncing photos from your device and other advanced features as subscription. see what i mean? like i dont think you should just give away all your hard work but at the same time making it useless without paying is overboard.

playback is a basic feature and basic features should be available without payment.

darkassassin07

Emby is perfectly usable without a premiere subscription. The browser based app is fully functional as far as browsing, play, and managing your library.

As far as people being forced into paying goes, I have to disagree.

Personally I have no real need to use the apps at all, with the exception of verry rarely downloading. I don't have a tv tuner so that's useless to me. Theater mode with trailers is neat, but not really a ground breaking feature.

And i have a easy short domain name so emby connect isnt even needed really.

However I still purchased an Emby Premier lifetime subscription because I love emby, and I wanted so support the people that have worked so hard to bring us such an awesome home media experience.

Edited by darkassassin07

CBers

playback is a basic feature and basic features should be available without payment.

Why do you feel that way? Do you only require your employer to pay you for the actions you perform outside of the basic functions of your job description?

ill probably just go back to plex and give them my money instead of waiting for emby to catch up to them on features.

What features does Plex have that Emby doesn't?

BAlGaInTl

Wait... don't you have to pay for the Plex apps too?

I'm a former Plex user, and bought the app so I could stream to devices.

You can do the same thing with Emby.  Or at least you could when I started using it.  I bought the Android App first, and then paid for Premiere to get all the features (mainly Live TV).

The short answer to the question you asked is "yes".  You can use the in-app unlock purchase.

Thanks.

fbm224

Is the in-app purchase valid for all my devices, or do I need to purchase it for the tablet and mobile separately?

Jdiesel

I'm 90% sure it is linked to your Google account so it will work on all signed in devices.

Is the in-app purchase valid for all my devices, or do I need to purchase it for the tablet and mobile separately?

Hi @@fbm224, it is valid for all devices that use the same app, which means you can use the same app on your phone and your tablet, with the same google account on both devices. However, if you are using different apps, for example, android on phone and iOS on tablet, then this would require individual unlocks, or Emby Premiere to unlock them both at once.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !