extract .M3U8 playlist from TV station website player

lifespeed

lifespeed

I am interested in watching a local low-power TV station called Northbay TV.  If you click on the link labeled Click here to Watch Now! it launches a video player that grabs an .M3U8 playlist.  Previously this playlist URL was visible in the web page source, so I just entered it as an .M3U tuner for seamless integration into Emby.  They have since changed the URL and player so it is no longer easily visible in the web page source.

Is anybody here good enough with web pages to tease the .M3U8 URL out of the player?  Clearly they are offering their channel freely over the internet, but leaving Emby to visit their web page is not the (lack of) integration I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by lifespeed

Do this kind of thing at your own risk.

Just because they appear to be "offering it freely over the internet" doesn't mean it is within your rights to re-direct that stream to another playback engine.   You could be circumventing that providers method of getting compensated for offering that "free" stream.

For a local station, probably not a big deal but I'm just sayin'...

lifespeed

Do this kind of thing at your own risk.

Their ads are played over the internet stream also, nobody is getting ripped off.  I know what you're saying, but this isn't it.

Edited by lifespeed

Is anybody here good enough with web pages to tease the .M3U8 URL out of the player?  Clearly they are offering their channel freely over the internet, but leaving Emby to visit their web page is not the (lack of) integration I'm looking for.

Looks like http://d10dxbeq00k3ze.cloudfront.net/hls-live/livepkgr/_definst_/liveevent/livestream.m3u8

maegibbons

The problem is that that playlist gives "relative" paths to the streams rather than a full url.

Also it segments the streams in to small chunks rather than a continuous stream.

Would be difficult for emby to handle I think.

Krs

Mark

lifespeed

Works great, thanks!  Nice to have a funky small time station from the old home town to not watch.  :P

Actually I do watch it once in a while.

Care to share your technique for prying the URL loose from the player, or is it top secret need-to-know basis kind of stuff?

• 4 weeks later...
lifespeed

It's currently listing:

http://d1h1vno2bn2hvn.cloudfront.net/hls-live/livepkgr/_definst_/liveevent/nbtv.m3u8

I just used my browser to view the source for their player web page, and look a for the source URL. 

Which browser are you using?  "View source" on the actual player page (seems to be vile Adobe Flash) is not an option in 64-bit Firefox or Edge.  I can view the source of https://northbaytv.com/, but that does not contain the .M3U8 URL.