Recording Ending Causes Live TV to Pause

Spaceboy

Spaceboy

26/07/2017

ok as that went so well i'm going to try what i think is my last playback issue on android tv (If this and the playback stops suddenly issues are fixed).

i mentioned the same issue when testing iptv as a source for making recordings from, abandoned because it was too unreliable. one of the issues i had was that if a show was being recorded and i was watching the same or a different show at the same time, as the recording finishes the live tv stream also pauses and cannot be restarted. i can only back out and restart the channel. at the time this was blamed on the iptv provider and i couldnt really question this even though i have the ability to get 6 concurrent streams.

but i am still seeing the same with live tv from mediaportal. tonight i left the news at ten on while the recording of the same program ran in mediaportal, finishes at 10.30pm + 3 mins post padding. the live tv stream paused at 10.33pm. i can see that these appear to be unconnected but its happening consistently (maybe every other day) at exactly the time a recording finishes. i'm seeing this on android tv as its my main client but i'm not sure if its a server issue.

logs emby.txt

Edited by Spaceboy

Spaceboy

28/07/2017

The aboves is copied from the Android TV thread i originally posted it in and was asked to move it as it is server related.

It happened again today while watching an active recording, as the recording finished the active recording paused and could not be restarted

PrincessClevage

28/07/2017

The aboves is copied from the Android TV thread i originally posted it in and was asked to move it as it is server related.

It happened again today while watching an active recording, as the recording finished the active recording paused and could not be restarted

I think the same occurs with nextpvr although I can not 100% confirm as I didn't have time to test when it happened and do not watch enough live tv to clash frequently with scheduled recordings but the two times I noticed live tv auto stop, recordings were running/finishing.

pünktchen

26/07/2017

ok as that went so well i'm going to try what i think is my last playback issue on android tv (If this and the playback stops suddenly issues are fixed).

i mentioned the same issue when testing iptv as a source for making recordings from, abandoned because it was too unreliable. one of the issues i had was that if a show was being recorded and i was watching the same or a different show at the same time, as the recording finishes the live tv stream also pauses and cannot be restarted. i can only back out and restart the channel. at the time this was blamed on the iptv provider and i couldnt really question this even though i have the ability to get 6 concurrent streams.

but i am still seeing the same with live tv from mediaportal. tonight i left the news at ten on while the recording of the same program ran in mediaportal, finishes at 10.30pm + 3 mins post padding. the live tv stream paused at 10.33pm. i can see that these appear to be unconnected but its happening consistently (maybe every other day) at exactly the time a recording finishes. i'm seeing this on android tv as its my main client but i'm not sure if its a server issue.

logs attachicon.gifemby.txt

I don't think it's server related, because the app requested playback stop 2 minutes after the recording has finished. And i can only guess that playback has paused for you those 2 minutes already.

2017-07-26 22:35:45.5597 Info SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app AndroidTv 1.4.30g playing BBC London News. Stopped at 187642 ms

2017-07-26 22:35:45.5597 Info MediaSourceManager: Closing live stream e2c02591b55c6b121fb0f65056883a50_TV-270-20170726210028 with provider LiveTvMediaSourceProvider

2017-07-26 22:35:45.5597 Info App: Closing live stream from MPExtended (MediaPortal Live TV Service), stream Id: TV-270-20170726210028

2017-07-26 22:35:45.5597 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: http://192.168.1.5:4322/MPExtended/StreamingService/json/FinishStream?identifier=TV-270-20170726210028

2017-07-26 22:35:45.5597 Info Trakt: Playback Stopped

2017-07-26 22:35:45.5597 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 192.168.1.126. Time: 3ms. http://192.168.1.5:8096/emby/Sessions/Playing/Stopped

Btw. disable the MediaPortal plugin logging if you don't need it ;)

Spaceboy

and again while watching The Last Leg as an active recording. twice tonight now emby2.txt

i will turn off the MP logging

I don't think it's server related, because the app requested playback stop 2 minutes after the recording has finished. And i can only guess that playback has paused for you those 2 minutes already.

That is not really a request to stop - it is a report that playback did stop...  Probably when he backed out of the screen that was frozen and would not advance.

• Like 1

when you are watching, did you press play on the active recording, or the live channel?

Spaceboy

when you are watching, did you press play on the active recording, or the live channel?

active recording

i think this kind of makes sense because the recording stops and then is moved to it's final destination. if you press play on the live channel then you can play as long as you like.

i think this kind of makes sense because the recording stops and then is moved to it's final destination. if you press play on the live channel then you can play as long as you like.

Given that, would it make sense for the apps to treat a request to play an active recording just like a request to play a "program" and tune to the channel instead of playing the actual recording...?

Given that, would it make sense for the apps to treat a request to play an active recording just like a request to play a "program" and tune to the channel instead of playing the actual recording...?

Well then you can't seek the content that is already recorded. So for now we need to at least make sure the player is stopping gracefully when the recording ends. Then we can look at possible improvements.

Spaceboy

but i want to watch from the beginning, not from live? whats the point of have an active recording if you can't watch it through to the end?

right but what i think is happening is that once the recording ends, the dvr software is going to move it from it's tmp file to it's final destination. Once it starts moving the file away from where it's being streamed from, your playback is likely to fail. We can certainly improve this in our dvr software so that it is seamless, but I am not sure how that would be possible with the plugins.

Spaceboy

Well that kind of makes sense except that

- regularly (or maybe previously) I can watch mediaportal active recordings through to completion

- this also happens while watching live tv as well, it was just the most recent example that happened with an active recording.

- it also happens with iptv recordings which uses your internal dvr

I don't know how you are making this work but you can watch in progress recordings fine in Kodi with MP

The third bullet point doesn't belong there because I already acknowledged it in the previous posting.

Spaceboy

The third bullet point doesn't belong there because I already acknowledged it in the previous posting.

sorry, i misread. i'll do some more testing

maegibbons

Hi, I dont believe I actually see this problem.  I use HDHR and IPTV and i am pretty sure that if i start an active recording that it plays through to the proper end and does NOT end when the recording finishes.  I will double cjheck.

Krs

Mark

maegibbons

NO.  Dont consider this.  Currently playing an Active Recording is the only way to share an IPTV stream from the server so that there is only one incoming stream.  If you play it live as well a second stream will be invoked direct from the source and you use twice the internet bandwidth.

Krs

Mark

maegibbons

Ok. I have just validated what I see.

I have a scheduled recording at 9.00am BST this morning of "storage wars" via IPTV which started as expected at 8.58am

I started watching the Active Recording at 9.17am BST on my ATV Fire

On the dahboard from my laptop, I can see that this recording has finished as expected at 9:32am.

I am still watching the Active on my ATV perfectly fine.  i am sure this works the same with HDHR channels as well but will confirm Later.

I record straight to .ts from native emby no transcode on record.

It all works perfectly, as expected, for me in terms of "Active Recordings"

Krs

Mark.

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 1

BAlGaInTl

Why not just have the server check to see if an active recording is being streamed before it is renamed/moved?  If it is, wait until the streaming has stopped and do the move then.

NO.  Dont consider this.  Currently playing an Active Recording is the only way to share an IPTV stream from the server so that there is only one incoming stream.  If you play it live as well a second stream will be invoked direct from the source and you use twice the internet bandwidth.

Krs

Mark

Don't worry, Luke already had another good reason not to do this :).

Why not just have the server check to see if an active recording is being streamed before it is renamed/moved?  If it is, wait until the streaming has stopped and do the move then.

In this case, we aren't the ones moving it - an external service is.

BAlGaInTl

That makes sense then.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

pünktchen

Definitely not!