evanover

evanover

Since the latest update to the Roku app, the movie thumbnails are taking a unusually long time to generate while browsing thru the movies,

If you change the sort order the names will appear, but a lot will either have no thumbnails or a green movie thumbnail. If you wait long enough most will generate the thumbnail. Prior to the update they worked fine.

server-63636721287.txt

Edited by evanover

Hi, if you remove the cover art plugin, this will improve image performance.

evanover

Even with cover art plugin removed it does the same thing. Does not do it on Android or Windows

Edited by evanover

Thanks. I think what is happening is that the app has made some changes with the new update and therefore it has to download images again from the server, just as if you had installed the app from scratch. The slow performance you're reporting is associated with the process of having to resize the images on the fly for what Roku needs. As the app and server build up a cache of these results, you'll see better performance. let us know if this helps. thanks.

The server will have it's own cache of the output in it's own cache folder. the app cache will be on the roku and there's no way you can get to it.

We don't even have any control over it either, sorry.  We are relying on roku system functions to download, cache and display images.

The /cache is on your emby server. The roku app requests images at its own resolution from the server, the server on-the-fly creates them and puts them in /cache. If the images already exist, this on-the-fly manipulation is avoided and the /cache image is immediately sent.

The roku has no memory once the app exits. There is no /cache kept to remember later. Once the app restarts the roku has to ask the server for images for its resolution again.

Browsing in the roku app is how you get the server to create a /cache of images in the rokus resolution. So browse into "all movies" now scroll down literally through every single one until they all show up immediately. Now do the same for TV, and every other library you have. This on-the-fly resizing shouldnt be that long as the server creates its /cache for each image the roku requests.

Browsing to prepopulate the image cache using the app/device you want to speed up image loading on is the only way to accomplish this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Speechles is right, but just fyi, you still have the cover art plugin installed. 

evanover

Looks Like I need to Break down the size of the one folder, any way to tag and mass move movies based on release date?

Ironically, uninstalling CoverArt will cause all images to have to be re-requested and re-cached on the server so, initially after doing that, you could see slow image loading again.

There is an in-app option to enable/disable image enhancements which also switches between whether or not CoverArt is used.

evanover

Still happening. I think there may be a limit on the number of movies in a single library, that it can reasonably handle in a efficient manner. 

I think you still need to remove the cover art plugin because every log you have showed me so far has had cover art being actively used.