FR - Roku - Long press BACK to get to home screen

sfnetwork

sfnetwork

From anywhere in the Roku apps (well except HOME screen I guess), long press back button to go to HOME screen.

Simple and would make the navigation experience easy and fast...

If already requested, sorry in advance for the duplicate :)

Edited by sfnetwork

Does any other app on the Roku do this?

I am wary of "hidden" features like this that can only be discovered basically by accident.

Inevitably, we will have bug reports where people pressed back (a little too long) and it took them all the way out instead of just back...

If it is an established paradigm in the interface then it is easier, but if we are the only ones doing it we even risk the app store testers stumbling on it and calling it a bug.

dcook

Why not make 1 press of the home button on the roku remote goto the Emby home screen and 2 presses or a long hold of the home button goto the Roku home screen?

I often find I have to press the back button 4-5 times or more to get back to where I want to be, and often find its less button presses to just exit the app and relaunch it, which as I reported before is bad design there should be easier way to navigate with less button presses.

Why not make 1 press of the home button on the roku remote goto the Emby home screen and 2 presses or a long hold of the home button goto the Roku home screen?

Please see post #2.

Does any other app on the Roku do this now?

sfnetwork

Does any other app on the Roku do this?

I am wary of "hidden" features like this that can only be discovered basically by accident.

Inevitably, we will have bug reports where people pressed back (a little too long) and it took them all the way out instead of just back...

If it is an established paradigm in the interface then it is easier, but if we are the only ones doing it we even risk the app store testers stumbling on it and calling it a bug.

Plex app does this feature (long press BACK to go the app home screen). I presumed it was a available as a function...

Plex app does this feature (long press BACK to go the app home screen). I presumed it was a available as a function...

That's one (albeit an important one ;)).  Can you find any others?

All input handling is completely custom on the Roku - there are no "functions" defined for this.

sfnetwork

That's one (albeit an important one ;)).  Can you find any others?

All input handling is completely custom on the Roku - there are no "functions" defined for this.

Didn't find any other remote shortcuts...

Plex doesn't use the * like Emby to filter, etc... Emby is greatt for that

But the long BACK press to get HOME from anywhere is really making a difference IMO, so simple and effective...

No, I meant any other app on the device that uses that long-press back technique...?

sfnetwork

No, I meant any other app on the device that uses that long-press back technique...?

That, I don't know. Not to my knowledge.

Edited by sfnetwork

• 2 weeks later...
blade005

@@ebr

Would it make sense to add a HOME selection to the * (Asterisk) menu? At least we would be down to two remote clicks to get back to home screen.

I have seen that design choice in other Roku apps.

EDIT:

I just asked for an option to Disable Asterisk in another thread due to conflict with TCL Roku TV conflict. DUH!!

I still think a HOME selection from Asterisk button makes sense. My best scenario would be the ability to Disable Asterisk button during Video Playback to access TCL TV Picture settings, but have it Enabled in Emby Roku outside of video playback.

Edited by blade005
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This will be in the next beta of the app.

Keep in mind that the side-effect here is that backwards navigation may not feel quite as responsive as it used to (depending on how you press buttons) because we now have to wait until you release the button before taking action.  Before we acted as soon as you pressed it.

EDIT:  Sorry but this has caused a ton of problems with basic navigation in other parts of the app so it is going to have to go back on the shelf for now...