Transcoding on LiveTV with nextPVR

gcorgnet

gcorgnet

Hi guys,

It seems like no matter which client I use (emby Theater, web, android) I get transcoding of LiveTV (see screenshot)

Note: I am using an internal DVB-T tuner via nextPVR

597864fba4818_Capture.png

Is there anything I can do to avoid this? I can't figure out what's causing it..

I had a play with the nextPVR decoder settings but no go..

Thanks,

Guillaume

PrincessClevage

Hi guys,

It seems like no matter which client I use (emby Theater, web, android) I get transcoding of LiveTV (see screenshot)

Note: I am using an internal DVB-T tuner via nextPVR

597864fba4818_Capture.png

Is there anything I can do to avoid this? I can't figure out what's causing it..

Thanks,

Guillaume

I think they (Luke has been attempting to figure this out for some time now. The latest ET desktop mpv test version comes the closest, fixing the lip sync issues and passing ac3 audio but still transcoding (although I though web client would direct play). Edited by PrincessClevage

gcorgnet

Thanks for that. So basically you are saying this is a known issue and it is expected to not work?

Is there any settings on nextPVR we can change to affect what gets passed to Emby? (which would in turn affect transcoding)?

Edited by gcorgnet

Is there any settings on nextPVR we can change to affect what gets passed to Emby? (which would in turn affect transcoding)?

NextPVR only ever supplies Emby the original non-transcoded stream. Any transcoding is happening on the Emby side, if it decides it needs to for it's clients. 

These settings are only used for playback within NextPVR itself.  Edited by sub3

gcorgnet

NextPVR only ever supplies Emby the original non-transcoded stream. Any transcoding is happening on the Emby side, if it decides it needs to for it's clients. 

These settings are only used for playback within NextPVR itself. 

Thanks.

So Emby telling me that the Container is not supported... is there anything I can do to change that?

• Like 1

That's something the Emby guys would have to help you with. I don't personally use Emby, so don't know very much about what happens on that side of things. 

pünktchen

Because of some problems in the past, the plugin sets the mediastream parameter "supportsprobing" to false.

But without stream probing, Emby will currently always transcode. Maybe @@Luke can re-evaluate this.

• Like 1

@@gcorgnet, keep in mind, that regardless of the discussion here, any live tv playback in the browser will always require some conversion, because browser do not support any of the following:

• mpegts transport streams
  • mpeg2
  • ac3 audio (except MS Edge which supports this)

Even if you have h264 video you'll still need a remux to swap out of the mpegts container and into something the browser supports.

So Emby Theater has already solved this with a new server feature to disable the probe, simply because Emby Theater knows in advance it will always be able to handle any format.

But other apps like the browser are not so fortunate and they do benefit from the probe info.

PrincessClevage

So Emby Theater has already solved this with a new server feature to disable the probe, simply because Emby Theater knows in advance it will always be able to handle any format.

But other apps like the browser are not so fortunate and they do benefit from the probe info.

Latest ET mpv test version is still transcoding feed from nextpvr
  • Like 1

arrbee99

Latest ET mpv test version is still transcoding feed from nextpvr

+1.

Far as I can see, the only client (well on a PC) that doesn't transcode is Ember for Emby. Would be nice to extend it to ET as well.

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

I have a question, why when ET desktop is transcoding live tv from nextpvr it shows as Dolby on receiver but only plays in stereo and this also is shown in stats for nerds (stereo). Why does the audio bitstream if it is not passing the raw audio ?

PrincessClevage

It's probably converting to 2ch ac3

Perhaps but actually output audio is only using 2ch but displays Dolby on the receiver (5ch) Edited by PrincessClevage

• 4 months later...

Forgive my lack of understanding if this has nothing to do with it...but according to the Wiki,  the Android TV and Roku apps do not list .TS as a supported file type, which is the shell that NextPVR uses.....would that not be why it is forced to transcode?  (I also have many movies on my server in .TS format, and they transode on my Android TV and Rokus as well, but will direct p[lay on my Fire TV). 

so, if Android TV supports .TS, is there something in the Android TV app that is keeping it from recognizing that support?  only asking because the format is not listed as supported in the Wiki for the Android TV app, or is that just a typo?

Direct Play Media Formats

Video — m4v,mov,xvid,vob,mkv,wmv,asf,ogm,ogv,mp4,webm
Subtitles - srt,dvdsub,ssa,ass,sub,vtt,pgs
Audio – aac,mp3,mpa,wav,wma,mp2,ogg,oga,webma,ape,opus,ac3 (Dolby Digital), DTS, DTS-HD MA, TrueHD

We don't direct play .ts files because they almost always have trouble seeking, so that's why it's not listed there. But we can update that to show that mpegts transport streams are supported @@ebr.

Thanks.

Thanks Luke, now I am learning!

But if Emby does not direct play .ts files, does this then not explain why Live TV from NextPVR cannot be direct played?  Or is enabling direct play Live TV in the app settings supposed to bypass this? @@ebr