FR: Android - Audio and Subtitle Options by remote

BusterSenshi

BusterSenshi

Hello,

I would love to see an option added to select audio tracks and subtitles with the Andriod. I was shocked it was not on it by default

• Like 1

Redshirt

Currently the servers remote control api doesn't have a way to tell other clients to play a specific audio or subtitle stream.

Moving to feature requests section.

• 3 weeks later...
Ghostm

Would also like to see this, i would like to be able to select subtitles on the fly or audio from apps like android or mb3. 

Although i dont know how difficult this would be considering things like audio might need to be transcoded.

Ghostm

Hate to bump this thread, but the wife needed sub titles for a movie half way through, while watching on chromecast, with android i instructed her to quit the movie (which didnt go to well) and select advanced play.

Would really love some api so users can select subtitles while a movie is playing (and maybe even audio) so if you need them you dont have to quit the movie and select advanced play to do it which seems a bit more difficult then it should. A subtitle/audio button in the picture buster posted would be nice to select during playback to a client/device.

Edited by Ghostm

Ghostm

I should also mention i tried this with plex just to see if it can actually be done (selecting subtitles for a separate client your controlling), and it can be done, but in plex anyway you have to select the subtitle stream before you play it, you cant select it on the fly. So mine and busters suggestion to have it as an option during playback might be impossible. It might need to be an advanced play option but it still would be very useful feature if some api existed.

Redshirt

The only thing missing is that the api needs to be expanded to pass that info to the clients. Not hard I think, but not at the top of server developments priority list. 

It's already possible for Chromecast, but I don't want to expose the functionality until all the clients can consume it. MBC doesn't transcode by default so it can't select streams.

Ghostm

The only thing missing is that the api needs to be expanded to pass that info to the clients. Not hard I think, but not at the top of server developments priority list. 

It's already possible for Chromecast, but I don't want to expose the functionality until all the clients can consume it. MBC doesn't transcode by default so it can't select streams.

Thanks for the reply, its interesting you mentioned that, i was thinking how this might work with mbt and mbc, since I use mbt, i also wouldnt want my video transcoded since i like the native quality and mbt can play any file back  just fine.

Would their be a way to do this for mbt/mbc subtitle stream selection without transcoding on those two clients?

I tried it in theory with plex using their htpc client, and from what i can tell it was not transcoding the video but I was able to select various streams and playback with subtitles selected from my phone. Would it be difficult to do this for mbc/mbt clients without transcoding  and simply just selecting the subtitles?

Or would api then need to exist from those clients  to be able to select subtitle streams? I am not sure how plex accomplished this exactly, or what would need to happen for mb.

Edited by Ghostm

Redshirt

I think when the time comes MBT will be able to do it without transcoding. MBC unfortunately has always required external tools to select different streams.