M3U Tuners

epete

From that article you linked:

To add an M3U tuner, simply open the Emby Server dashboard, navigate to Live TV, then click Add underneath tuner devices.

You don't need the IPTV plug-in for M3U tuners.

Right, but I don't seem to have M3U setup after clicking  Tuner Devices  [+Add].  I only get an option to detect devices.  I already have two HDHomerun tuners added.  Maybe Emby does not support M3U Tuners if there is an HDHomerun tuner installed? 

Edited by epete

Did you explore the tuner type drop-down box?

Thats it.  The drop down box seems to be unresponsive when clicking on it.  However if I move my mouse about a 1/4 inch from the drop down "v", then I see the options and have now found the M3U Tuner option.  I am using Chrome, not sure if that has anything to do with the strange mouse offset.

Thank you.  I can now proceed.

Edited by epete

OK, I was able to get a 24 hour M3U trial and added it to my account.  I have lots of questions.

1. Is there any way to tie schedules direct to an M3U?  I see there is a channel mapping function.  I am wondering if I can select DirecTV as my provider and map the channels to this guide. 

2. The trial M3U service also has a URL with a XML guide.  I added this URL as a second guide.  It took 3 minutes to load but I saw no guide data for the M3U channels.  Maybe this is not automatic and I need to map them?

3. I noticed I cannot record any of the M3U channels.  Is this because the guide is not working?

4. I noticed when selecting an M3U channel, it comes up in paused mode rather than already playing.  I then need to click play for it to play.

5. M3U channels seem to come up in 480P - 4MBPS  mode even though they are HD.  I Can click the gear and select 1080P - 60MBPS and then I get a higher resolution picture.  Why doesn't it automatically select the best quality?

6. There are many more channels on my service but the guide seems to stop after a certaing quantity of channels.  I can use the search function to find channels that dont list?  How do I remove the ton of M3U channels I dont care about and then make sure the ones I do care about show on the guide?

Spaceboy

I have a ms access tool that can edit the m3u and set schedules direct epg if you are interested. But you should also find and upvote threads requesting better channel management options.

Pm me if you are interested

• Like 4

5. M3U channels seem to come up in 480P - 4MBPS  mode even though they are HD.  I Can click the gear and select 1080P - 60MBPS and then I get a higher resolution picture.  Why doesn't it automatically select the best quality?

Probably because at some point you customized your video quality and now the setting is being remembered.

6. There are many more channels on my service but the guide seems to stop after a certaing quantity of channels.  I can use the search function to find channels that dont list?  How do I remove the ton of M3U channels I dont care about and then make sure the ones I do care about show on the guide?

Remove them from the m3u that you import.

I noticed I cannot record any of the M3U channels.  Is this because the guide is not working?

yes you need guide data to record.

The trial M3U service also has a URL with a XML guide.  I added this URL as a second guide.  It took 3 minutes to load but I saw no guide data for the M3U channels.  Maybe this is not automatic and I need to map them?

Correct.

- I figured out what my problem was here.  I have so many channels I need to click the Right and left arrows at the bottom of the guide to get to the next or previous page of the guide.  I have never seen pages for guides before.  I assumed when I scrolled to the bottom that was the end of the list.

yes you need guide data to record.

confirmed!  I updated my schedules direct service provider to Dish rather than Antenna so I could get guide data for some cable channels in my M3U playlist.  I mapped one channel and now the record icon appears on a live show and I am able to schedule a recording from the guide.  I have set one program to record next hour to test.

maegibbons

Although @@Luke has answered your questions do a search in this forum for "m3u" and have a good read.

There is a lot of stuff on Automapping m3u to Schedules Direct a fair bit of it written by myself.

To automap an m3u Entry to Schedules Direct you need to add a tvg-id tag to the m3u specifying the channel-id from Schedules Direct.

Then you do not have to manual map.

The MS Access database that @@Spaceboy has offered you allows you to maintain these mappings, select the channels you want and generate the appropriate m3u file for import in to emby.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 3

I set two shows to record this morning.  One was on an HDHomerun tuner the other on the M3U Tuner.  They should have recorded, but I do not see any recorded shows in any folder.  It should have gone in recorded shows but I checked recorded series folder and several others as well.  I guess there is still a lot to figure out here. 

Although @@Luke has answered your questions do a search in this forum for "m3u" and have a good read.

There is a lot of stuff on Automapping m3u to Schedules Direct a fair bit of it written by myself.

To automap an m3u Entry to Schedules Direct you need to add a tvg-id tag to the m3u specifying the channel-id from Schedules Direct.

Then you do not have to manual map.

The MS Access database that @@Spaceboy has offered you allows you to maintain these mappings, select the channels you want and generate the appropriate m3u file for import in to emby.

Krs

Mark

Thanks.  I will do the M3U search and check that part out.

I set two shows to record this morning.  One was on an HDHomerun tuner the other on the M3U Tuner.  They should have recorded, but I do not see any recorded shows in any folder.  It should have gone in recorded shows but I checked recorded series folder and several others as well.  I guess there is still a lot to figure out here. 

If you think something went wrong, then the best thing to do is attach the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks .

If you think something went wrong, then the best thing to do is attach the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks .

At this point I think I am new enough to this that nothing went wrong and I still need to figure everything out.  

I see that the main gear next to my user name at the upper right takes me to the admin even from a remote PC.  I went to the PC with the server running on it and it was placing the recorded shows under series even though I had it set to TV and these were one time recordings.  When I scanned all media, the admin console put all folders in, TV, Movies, Music, Pictures, except for Series.  strange.  I manually added it.

When I click the home button I now see series listed, but when I click on it, the screen is black with nothing in it.  I know there are folders in it with the TV Shows I set to record.

So it is probably working but I am still missing some concept.

Spaceboy

At this point I think I am new enough to this that nothing went wrong and I still need to figure everything out.  

I see that the main gear next to my user name at the upper right takes me to the admin even from a remote PC.  I went to the PC with the server running on it and it was placing the recorded shows under series even though I had it set to TV and these were one time recordings.  When I scanned all media, the admin console put all folders in, TV, Movies, Music, Pictures, except for Series.  strange.  I manually added it.

When I click the home button I now see series listed, but when I click on it, the screen is black with nothing in it.  I know there are folders in it with the TV Shows I set to record.

So it is probably working but I am still missing some concept.

i guess i'd make sure you have your recorded tv folder set as a library first

Well, I only had a 24 hour trial on the M3U link.  There are other items I need to figure out.  I am motivated by my Dish Network bill going up by $30.00 at the end of August.  

1.  I think I have proven that the M3U Tuner works.  I would like to reduce the channel list.  I have been able to download the M3U file from the URL but if I edit it and place it in a folder and point to it, how will the IPTV provider get my username and password as that was embeded in the URL?

2. I found where the shows were being placed and could not figure out why they were going to a particular folder.  I have no need to have a separate folder for each type of media.  I plan to use this for TV only so I removed al of the folders and am pointing everything to a "D:\Emby_Media\" folder.

3. There was a Animated Batman Artwork showing up on all shows that were recorded.  I don't know how that got there.  Was it a sample file that came with emby or did emby load it thinking that was a show I recorded.  Not sure.  Moving everything to "D:\Emby_Media\"  seemed to clean up most of the shows.  Now they have the proper artwork with the exception of one or two.

4. When looking for shows through Roku or emby, I got the "black screen" and no shows displayed.  I found out after clicking one of the letters on the right hand side, this filter allowed a show to display that began with the letter I selected.  I am not sure how to select no filter so that all shows display.  This problem seems to have fixed it self after going to one  "D:\Emby_Media\" folder.  Now I see all shows and wish I had the ability to sort by recorded date.  It would be nice to see my latest recordings at the top.

5. I may have a stability problem as there was an occasion today when I could not log on.  I went to the PC that was running emby server and it showed I was using 100% RAM and 100% CPU.  This is the system I have it running on http://blog.cyberpowerpc.com/2014/11/26/99-fang-mini-r9-doorbuster/ however I have updated it to Win10 64 bit and updated the RAM to 16GB.  The only programs running are emby and PlayOn.  Maybe I should run PlayOn from another PC or maybe move emby to a better PC.

...so once I get it running well with the HDHomerun tuners, I will go back and pay for the IPTV service so I can configure them.  One interesting thing I noticed, as soon as my trial M3U was over, all of those IPTV channels disappeared from my guide.  That was actually kind of cool.  I didn't have to do anything. 

Thanks for the feedback. I would probably suggest using the original m3u url for now. Yes that means you'll have some unwanted channels but we are planning on adding more robust channel management soon. thanks.

maegibbons

I've provided him with the access db tool to manage his m3u

Great.  Share the love.

Krs

Mark

• Like 2