Emby does not respect auto-rotate settings.

darkassassin07

Zamtakk

I agree, having the option to watch vertical is nice. But when you want to always watch landscape like me, it can be quite annoying when it rotates back when I put it down on the table to grab something.

I also noticed that when you rotate it while a line of subtitles is displayed, that line stays on screen indefinitely and the new lines are displayed over it making it unreadable. You have to rotate back and forth once again while no lines are displayed to get to to go away and work properly again. This behavior doesn't always happen, I tried to replicate it just now to make sure and it was gone. I'll let you know if it comes back.

I hope the rotation can be locked in the future in the video player or even better permanent in the app playback settings.

neik
1 hour ago, Zamtakk said:

I agree, having the option to watch vertical is nice.

Exactly, it should work like YouTube, for 16:9 videos landscape should be selected for 9:16 videos portrait should be.
Everything else doesn't make any sense imho. Who in the world wants to watch a 16:9 video in portrait or a 9:16 in landscape?!

I didn't understand this change in the first place and still do not tbh., so much more important stuff to do improved yet a month (or even more) later this is still being discussed...

• Like 1

TheTabman

I'm going to revert to an old version, march 2023 IIRC, when the Emby player respected rotation lock.

This forced auto-rotation is really a terrible design choice.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 8:23 AM, neik said:

Exactly, it should work like YouTube, for 16:9 videos landscape should be selected for 9:16 videos portrait should be.
Everything else doesn't make any sense imho. Who in the world wants to watch a 16:9 video in portrait or a 9:16 in landscape?!

I didn't understand this change in the first place and still do not tbh., so much more important stuff to do improved yet a month (or even more) later this is still being discussed...

Those who like to use picture in picture and/or multi-task with other apps while having video playing. And by the way, testingĀ  YouTube on android it stays in portrait for all videos. In fact it just follows whatever my device setting is.

Additionally testing on iOS, apple's apps are now also going by system settings for the same reason.

We'll add an option to control this behavior but I would also just like to mention that several users ago when we initially forced it to landscape, we also had some users at that time who thought it was being "forced upon them".

• Thanks 1

neik
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Those who like to use picture in picture

Nothing that wasn't possible before the "improvement".
In fact, I also use PiP myself for quite some time and it has always worked, there are some crashes here and there (that should be fixed instead) but otherwise it just works.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

And by the way, testingĀ  YouTube on android it stays in portrait for all videos. In fact it just follows whatever my device setting is.

We must use different official apps then.
I'll do some recording to show what I mean.

neik
10 minutes ago, neik said:

I'll do some recording to show what I mean.

Here you go...

The first video was record in portrait (9:16) and it played in portrait, the second one was recorded in landscape (16:9) and therefore the screen turned into landscape once I went in full screen mode.

I don't know if we are just misunderstanding each other but I hope this makes it clearer what I mean.

Edit: All this happens with auto-rotate off.

YouTube

Edited by neik

darkassassin07
On 5/24/2023 at 9:40 AM, Luke said:

YouTube on android it stays in portrait for all videos. In fact it just follows whatever my device setting is.

Not sure where you're getting this.

Ā 

Ā 

Whether or not autorotate is on; if I put a 16:9 video in fullscreen it is forced into landscape. If autorotate is on and I physically rotate the device (back) to portrait, it exits fullscreen.

You can't play a 16:9 video fullscreen in portrait at all on youtube android (unless it's a 9:16 short).

Ā 

Ā 

Regardless, Emby should just respect the users autorotate settings. If autorotate is on, allow it to rotate; if its off, lock it in the current orientation. When playback starts with autorotate locked: choose the orientation that makes the most sence (landscape for 16:9, portrait for 9:16), then allow it to change should the user unlock autorotate.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
neik

Yeah well, that could mean everything and nothing...

You must have gotten the inspiration from another app, do you mind sharing which other app behaves so oddly?

3 hours ago, neik said:

Yeah well, that could mean everything and nothing...

You must have gotten the inspiration from another app, do you mind sharing which other app behaves so oddly?

On both android and iOS, with device orientation set to automatic, both the youtube and apple tv apps auto-rotate video nowadays.

Netflix still always locks you to landscape, and we did that for years as well, but we never had an answer for those who wanted to keep it portrait and still play video. Now I find the automatic method much better because you essentially get to decide based on how you're holding the device.

Now I realize that some may like the always lock to landscape behavior, so we'll make that an option to go back to that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

TheTabman
43 minutes ago, Luke said:

Now I realize that some may like the always lock to landscape behavior, so we'll make that an option to go back to that way.

Thank you very much, that option will be much appreciated.

darkassassin07

I still don't understand why emby feels the need to override system settings and duplicate controls that are already at the users fingertips. (referring to both Auto-Rotate and Brightness controls)

Ā 

Why move these into the app at all and not just respect the controls/settings that are already implemented in android? They are both within a single swipe (maybe two depending on your personal layout) even while media is playing.

Ā 

The brightness control thing really pisses me off when the player is in picture-in-picture, as you can nolonger control the brightness at all (it overridesĀ and locksĀ the system brightness slider while the app is open).

1 hour ago, darkassassin07 said:

I still don't understand why emby feels the need to override system settings and duplicate controls that are already at the users fingertips. (referring to both Auto-Rotate and Brightness controls)

Ā 

Why move these into the app at all and not just respect the controls/settings that are already implemented in android? They are both within a single swipe (maybe two depending on your personal layout) even while media is playing.

Ā 

The brightness control thing really pisses me off when the player is in picture-in-picture, as you can nolonger control the brightness at all (it overridesĀ and locksĀ the system brightness slider while the app is open).

Because user feedback has shown that even for users who lock the orientation on their device, they want some apps to be able to make an exception, such as video playing apps.

neik
4 hours ago, Luke said:

orientation set to automatic, both the youtube

With auto-rotate activated I agree, with auto-rotate deactivated in the system settings YouTube respect the aspect ratio of the video and takes that into consideration whether it goes into landscape mode or not.

Did you even see the clip I made to show what I mean?

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
m1stertim

Here as well because I was trying to watch a movie in bed lying on my side, couldn't, and googled it.Ā  I don't understand why it would make sense to ignore a system setting and not allow that to be changeable.Ā  What version do I need to revert to in order to have it follow the system setting?Ā Ā 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m1stertim said:

Here as well because I was trying to watch a movie in bed lying on my side, couldn't, and googled it.Ā  I don't understand why it would make sense to ignore a system setting and not allow that to be changeable.Ā  What version do I need to revert to in order to have it follow the system setting?Ā Ā 

HI, there will be an option added in the next update to the app. Thanks.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
c4talystza

Came here to +1 the "can't watch videos lying on my side in bed with Android 3.3.07".Ā 

(An orientation lock of sorts would be great)Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

neik
On 7/2/2023 at 6:31 AM, Luke said:

HI, there will be an option added in the next update to the app. Thanks.

Just updated to latest beta version (.18) same result as before...

10 hours ago, neik said:

Just updated to latest beta version (.18) same result as before...

Have you explored the options in the app?

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2023 at 11:47 PM, Luke said:

Have you explored the options in the app?

I don't know how the others feel but if you mean the lock button to fix the rotation then that is not really a good solution IMO.

I really do not understand the benefit of this change. I'm repeating myself but why on earth would anyone would watch a movie in portrait rather than in landscape mode?!

2 minutes ago, neik said:

I don't know how the others feel but if you mean the lock button to fix the rotation then that is not really a good solution IMO.

I really do not understand the benefit of this change. I'm repeating myself but why on earth would anyone would watch a movie in portrait rather than in landscape mode?!

Have you explored the playback options in the app's settings?

budokaiman

I've looked in the playback settings, but unless I'm missing something obvious, I don't see anything related to display mode. I've signed up for beta on the play store, but not sure if I actually have it or not.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Have you explored the playback options in the app's settings?

Thanks for the hint, didn't see it before.
I'll stop moaning now as the old status is back to live.

13 minutes ago, budokaiman said:

I've looked in the playback settings, but unless I'm missing something obvious, I don't see anything related to display mode. I've signed up for beta on the play store, but not sure if I actually have it or not.

I'm on 3.3.18 and there is an playback option called "Screen orientation during video playback" where you can select "Lock to landscape" and bring back the old behaviour.

c4talystza
28 minutes ago, neik said:

I'm on 3.3.18 and there is an playback option called "Screen orientation during video playback" where you can select "Lock to landscape" and bring back the old behaviour.

Where does one find 3.3.18 ? Latest in Play Store is 3.3.07 ?