Emby does not respect auto-rotate settings.

darkassassin07

darkassassin07

Disabling auto-rotate or using a third party app to control the rotation direction are completely ignored by emby forcing auto-rotate on all the time.

Not conducive to laying down and watching media.

Hi, what we do is remove the orientation lock during video playback and then put it back on after. Does that help?

darkassassin07

Thats the problem, I want to lock it in landscape so i can lay down and watch shows without it rotating to portrait.

• 1 year later...
darkassassin07

Currently, the video player keeps the device in landscape when full screened, but allows auto rotation when displaying via the picture-in-picture player (respecting your android screen rotation settings).

Asside from that, you're going to have to provide a bit more info as to what you mean.

This is a 2 year old thread that has long since been solved.

Edited by darkassassin07

@@Lorties yes can you please describe what you're asking? I'm guessing he probably wants to be able to rotate during video playback.

Lorties

My experience with the Emby android app:
The default behavior is that Emby App forces the playback into the landscape position even if my phone is in the portrait position.  Again, after I push the videos play button it then switches to full screen and auto rotates to landscape no matter what position my phone is in. 

An app like...... Youtube (in full screen mode) senses the rotation of the screen and only rotates to landscape when in landscape mode and back to portrait mode when in portrait mode.

Thanks.

darkassassin07

That's true, the app does force you into landscape for full screen playback, but that makes sense.

For something like youtube or twitch you have things like a comments section that people commonly browse/add too during playback.

Emby on the other hand is closer to something like the netflix app. You are either browsing for something to watch, or actually watching it. There isnt much need for a portrait view during playback because there isn't really much to show alongside it.

You can still browse other apps with the picture-in-picture player in portrait if you like though.

Options are always possible, but yes it is currently modeled after Netflix.

• 1 year later...
SilentDis

Hate to necro... but this is still a thing.

With how people watch now, sometimes just holding a phone/tablet is easier in portrait. Also, with split screen being a thing on tablets especially now, people like to segment and keep a movie playing on top and chat below and such.

While I understand the wish to mirror Netflix functionality, it would be nice to have it be an option on Android to respect orientation, so users of the app can do split screen and/or watch how they want.

Thank you!

On 3/17/2021 at 2:51 PM, SilentDis said:

Hate to necro... but this is still a thing.

With how people watch now, sometimes just holding a phone/tablet is easier in portrait. Also, with split screen being a thing on tablets especially now, people like to segment and keep a movie playing on top and chat below and such.

While I understand the wish to mirror Netflix functionality, it would be nice to have it be an option on Android to respect orientation, so users of the app can do split screen and/or watch how they want.

Thank you!

Hi, yes we can certainly provide you with more control in future updates. thanks for the feedback.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Anthony8

Hi Luke, thanks for the update - I'm looking forward to seeing this control in future updates.  I bought Premiere about a year ago and this is my biggest annoyance with Emby by far.

My workaround for now is to avoid the app completely and use my device's web browser to view Emby instead (since the browser respects Android's orientation settings).  It would be great if the Emby app could honor this setting as well - there are reasons that I always have my screen locked into portrait mode, and I don't enjoy watching videos sideways.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
budokaiman

@LukeIs there a way to disable this setting? I'd prefer to always have the video in landscape instead of a tiny frame in portrait (auto rotate on my phone isn't great, so it's almost permanently stuck in portrait mode).

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, budokaiman said:

@LukeIs there a way to disable this setting? I'd prefer to always have the video in landscape instead of a tiny frame in portrait (auto rotate on my phone isn't great, so it's almost permanently stuck in portrait mode).

Don't you just rotate the device to landscape anyway though?

budokaiman

I do, but my phone doesn't recognise the rotation so it's still playing the video as if it were in portrait mode

Edited by budokaiman

43 minutes ago, budokaiman said:

I do, but my phone doesn't recognise the rotation so it's still playing the video as if it were in portrait mode

Why wouldn't it recognize it?

budokaiman

I'm guessing the sensor is messed up, it seems like this should have an option even for preventing the case of auto-rotate mis-recognising movements and switching between  modes (which is a common setting I've seen other apps have when they support rotation detection).

Edited by budokaiman

So you’re saying that with normal usage of the device, that the auto orientation doesn’t always work properly?

Darkjesus

Hi @Luke,

I would also welcome a control over this setting, since I am usually using Emby on Android while laying down and holding phone -usually the phone is in landscape mode, but sometimes when I move it switches unintentionally to portrait mode and I have to "wiggle" it to get back to landscape.

thanks for considering this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

neik
On 5/20/2023 at 10:27 PM, Darkjesus said:

Hi @Luke,

I would also welcome a control over this setting, since I am usually using Emby on Android while laying down and holding phone -usually the phone is in landscape mode, but sometimes when I move it switches unintentionally to portrait mode and I have to "wiggle" it to get back to landscape.

thanks for considering this

+1

With this new settings now there is an issue that wasn't there before "fixing" it...