Nvidia Shield as a server?

ThetaDelta14

ThetaDelta14

Hey all,

I'm a recent convert from Plex and just have not been able to find a few answers that are likely very obvious to everyone else. I used to run my Plex Media Server off of a Nvidia Shield with storage via a Synology DS216j (over SMB). With Emby, is an Android TV not able to act as the server (and if not is this in the works)? Currently, I have the server successfully setup on my Synology NAS, but I am worried that it's going to be severely under powered (most movies are 1080p but I might have 2-3 streams at a time). Will Emby use the Shield's hardware to transcode the streams or will the NAS be bottle-necking the streams? 

Thanks!

Having the Shield as your Emby Server is something we'd like to do in the future, thanks.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
glennselby

Having the Shield as your Emby Server is something we'd like to do in the future, thanks.

Now when you say "in the future", how far in the future? The above post is from July 2017 and I'm sitting in Feb. 2018, so I'm wondering at what point in time do I need to be to run the Emby sever on my Shield? It's the last road block keeping me from switching from Plex to Emby. Thanks.

clarkss12

Now when you say "in the future", how far in the future? The above post is from July 2017 and I'm sitting in Feb. 2018, so I'm wondering at what point in time do I need to be to run the Emby sever on my Shield? It's the last road block keeping me from switching from Plex to Emby. Thanks.

The future is NOW!!!!!  Beta........

Jdiesel

I think you may have missed the post below that one. Join the beta testing that has been going on since December.

glennselby

I think you may have missed the post below that one. Join the beta testing that has been going on since December.

Ah yes. I did miss that post. Where can I sign up to join?

Jdiesel

Ah yes. I did miss that post. Where can I sign up to join?

Just download the apk on the first page of the thread Luke pisted and install.

clarkss12

Just download the apk on the first page of the thread Luke pisted and install.

Luke pissed it????  LOL

Any compelling reason to move from my perfectly functioning Emby Server on my PC to running it on the Shield I just got as a client?

Gilgamesh_48

Any compelling reason to move from my perfectly functioning Emby Server on my PC to running it on the Shield I just got as a client?

I have been contemplating the same thing and I have decided that, at least for now, the only reason to move to the Shield would be to aid in development. I used to enjoy that kind of testing and still do a bit but since for now my age makes that kind of work less enjoyable I have decided that I will not make that move, ay least for now.

I have been running a Plex server on my Shield Pro and it worked well but it is less powerful and less flexible than a good PC and it has serious limitations in that Plex's data (not media files) cannot be placed on adopted storage which means that large libraries have issues of running out of internal memory even on the 500gb Shield which I have. I suspect that Emby may have similar problems.

For now I feel that the Shield is, at best, an experimental platform for acting as a server.

I have removed the Plex server from my Shield (actually I did a factory reset) because I want to see if the Emby playback issues I have had on the Shield relate to the Plex server being on there. For the same kind of reason I will not be putting an Emby server on there either.

The advantages I do see for the Shield as a server are saving power, saving space and the Shield can, at least for Plex and probably Emby as well, use hardware acceleration for transcoding.

Right now the disadvantages outweigh the advantages for using the Shield as a server unless you want to be part of the testing pool.

• Like 1

So did playback improve?

With an i5 4690k, I don't see issues with transcoding at all and I don't use h/w acceleration because all of them say "experimental" and it works without issue anyhow but sometimes there's a little latency at start up while the transcoder ques up for playback on devices that cannot support direct streaming. This is usually nothing to fret about and has gotten vastly superior since the release of the .net core server.

Gilgamesh_48

So did playback improve?

With an i5 4690k, I don't see issues with transcoding at all and I don't use h/w acceleration because all of them say "experimental" and it works without issue anyhow but sometimes there's a little latency at start up while the transcoder ques up for playback on devices that cannot support direct streaming. This is usually nothing to fret about and has gotten vastly superior since the release of the .net core server.

My playback did improve marginally after removing the Plex server BUT I still do not like the interface on the Shield. I keep trying the Shield and my Fire TV for playback of both Plex and Emby but the interface on the Roku is a LOT better so I keep returning to it for all playback.

I am going to put my Plex server back on the Shield so I have an active backup server for Plex and I will install a second Emby server on another device when I have time.

At this point the Emby server for the Shield is simply too experimental for me to use. I am too old to want to deal with the frustrations of that level of experimentation. 

but the interface on the Roku is a LOT better so I keep returning to it for all playback.

Are you talking about the overall system (Android vs. Roku)?  Because our apps are actually quite similar on the two platforms...

Gilgamesh_48

Are you talking about the overall system (Android vs. Roku)?  Because our apps are actually quite similar on the two platforms...

Yes it is the overall system, mostly, but the Android version imposes an extra, and I believe totally unneeded, action before you can actually get into whichever row you actually want to use. But even that is minor. I guess whichever interface first allows me to completely suppress (it should be optional) all rows except "Next up" and "My Media" will be the one I finally settle upon.

I particularly detest "Continue Watching" since the only things of interest for me that appear there are also first in "Next up" making "Continue watching" worse that redundant. But that is not really germane to this thread and there are probably so few folks that want to remove "Continue watching" that I do not expect to ever see it removed but it should have a way to exclude content from selected libraries.

BTW: I detest the horizontal scrolling that the apps use. A grid or at least two row, like Plex uses, would be a LOT better.

I particularly detest "Continue Watching" since the only things of interest for me that appear there are also first in "Next up" making "Continue watching" worse that redundant. But that is not really germane to this thread and there are probably so few folks that want to remove "Continue watching" that I do not expect to ever see it removed but it should have a way to exclude content from selected libraries.

Then you'll enjoy our home screen options which allow you to remove it altogether.

Gilgamesh_48

Then you'll enjoy our home screen options which allow you to remove it altogether.

I would if it worked correctly.

Continue watching is turned off in the web app - and it works there

Continue watching is turned off on the Fire TV - and it works there

Continue watching is turned off on the Shield TV - But it still appears on the main screen. Other rows that are off do not show up.

The Roku does not seem to respect any of the home screen settings.

The primary devices I want to use for viewing Emby do not correctly support the "Home screen options" at all.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Continue watching is turned off on the Shield TV - But it still appears on the main screen/ Other rows that are off do not show up.

It's still very new and is only in testing stages at this point. When it is released to the stable channel in the store, then it will work as you expect.

Continue watching is turned off on the Shield TV - But it still appears on the main screen. Other rows that are off do not show up.

Are you testing the beta of the Android TV app?

I haven't seen you report this issue so I was unaware of it.

The Roku does not seem to respect any of the home screen settings.

Now I'm confused because you said you liked the Roku better but this isn't implemented in the Roku (yet - it will be in beta by tomorrow).

Gilgamesh_48

Now I'm confused because you said you liked the Roku better but this isn't implemented in the Roku (yet - it will be in beta by tomorrow).

I do like the Roku better than any Android device even though it often lags behind a bit in the feature deployment department. 

It could well be that I am very used to the Roku because I have had one since they were introduced. My first was an N1000 that I bought when it was called the "Netflix player."

Are you testing the beta of the Android TV app?

I haven't seen you report this issue so I was unaware of it.

I am using the beta app but I have not really used it much lately. I just noticed this ?bug? and I have not reported it. Is this report enough?

Gilgamesh_48

Yes, I will take a look.  Thx.

I just received an update on my Shield and the problem of showing "Continue Watching" when it should be disabled seems to have been fixed. 

Also, although this is not a Roku forum, the app on the Roku now seems to correctly follow the setting for this as well.

Good job guys. :)