Live TV Beta

ebr

If you are interested in helping us test Live TV in the Apple TV app, please PM me your Apple ID for the device.

Thanks!

• Like 6

denz

That is great background colour will we be able to get something similar for emby theater. The only thing from the screenshots that is negative there are huge gaps.

Jdiesel

I don't have an Apple TV to test with but I curious to what the guide looks like.

JayZee

That is great background colour will we be able to get something similar for emby theater. The only thing from the screenshots that is negative there are huge gaps.

Yes that's exactly what myself and another poster commented about in another thread. Those huge gaps of blank space are not great. I think a better approach is to replace those functions that those buttons perform with a drop down menu from the top of the screen like every other Apple TV app does. Not only will that bring the UI inline across the board with other ATV apps but it will look nicer AND improve usability minising vertical scrolling down to get to stuff.

Otherwise though those screenshots look great, thanks for the teaser!! :)

I've PM my Apple TV ID to ebr but haven't heard back yet.

Yes that's exactly what myself and another poster commented about in another thread. Those huge gaps of blank space are not great. I think a better approach is to replace those functions that those buttons perform with a drop down menu from the top of the screen like every other Apple TV app does.

As for shortcuts etc. - after Live TV, we are also looking at re-designing the basic interface to use the "swipe down" menu that you see in other Apple TV apps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Folks - we're getting a lot of requests to test this but hardly anyone actually providing any feedback.

The point of the testing access is to help us ready this for release, not just to get early access yourself.

Thanks.

shawn.holmes

I've been using the beta for the past couple of days. I have a couple of issues:

1. When watching live tv or recording live tv, the video/audio quality is choppy and pixelated. The audio, after 5-10 minutes, will be out of sync (by several seconds) with the video.

2. Not on every occasion (about 30% of the time), when tuning into a live tv channel, it can take 5-10 seconds to see any video/hear any audio.

I have verified that the signal from my antenna is good (by directly connecting a TV to it) and the my HDHomeRun Connect Duo is receiving good quality signal (by using the "hdhomerun-config-gui".

I have had several occasions where the app functions flawlessly, video/audio is perfect, and "tuning" a channel takes 1-2 seconds.

Please let me know what logs I can provide (and directions on how to get at them).

One "nit-picky" thing, is there any chance that the "Guide" on the Apple TV app could be like the "Guide" on the iOS or web app? I find this preferable to the current layout. If not, its definitely not a deal-breaker for me, just a "nice to have".

Edited by shawn.holmes

I've been using the beta for the past couple of days. I have a couple of issues:

1. When watching live tv or recording live tv, the video/audio quality is choppy and pixelated. The audio, after 5-10 minutes, will be out of sync (by several seconds) with the video.

2. Not on every occasion (about 30% of the time), when tuning into a live tv channel, it can take 5-10 seconds to see any video/hear any audio.

I have verified that the signal from my antenna is good (by directly connecting a TV to it) and the my HDHomeRun Connect Duo is receiving good quality signal (by using the "hdhomerun-config-gui".

I have had several occasions where the app functions flawlessly, video/audio is perfect, and "tuning" a channel takes 1-2 seconds.

Please let me know what logs I can provide (and directions on how to get at them).

One "nit-picky" thing, is there any chance that the "Guide" on the Apple TV app could be like the "Guide" on the iOS or web app? I find this preferable to the current layout. If not, its definitely not a deal-breaker for me, just a "nice to have".

This sounds like variable network or sever loads.  The streams are probably transcoding.  What else is happening on the server at the time?  Is the Apple TV using a wireless network?

If you post the ffmpeg logs from playback with the issues, we may be able to see some clues.

Thanks.

How to Report a Problem

shawn.holmes

This sounds like variable network or sever loads.  The streams are probably transcoding.  What else is happening on the server at the time?  Is the Apple TV using a wireless network?

If you post the ffmpeg logs from playback with the issues, we may be able to see some clues.

Thanks.

How to Report a Problem

Here are the logs.

When experiencing the issue:

-The load (CPU) on the server was ~15%. The stream from the HDHomeRun was the only thing transcoding.

-The network "load" on the server was low (234.85 KB/s UP / 1.13MB/s DOWN)

-The AppleTV place live TV was the only device streaming video

-Two other devices were streaming audio (Spotify)

-The AppleTV in question is connected over wifi, but the wifi signal is excellent and transmission rate is +600Mbps.

-On the same Apple TV, other streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, HBOGO, etc.) experience no problems and did not have any issues at the same time.

Log-2.txt

Log-3.txt

Log.txt

Edited by shawn.holmes

sudosaurus

If you are interested in helping us test Live TV in the Apple TV app, please PM me your Apple ID for the device.

Thanks!

PM sent (:

Here are the logs.

When experiencing the issue:

-The load (CPU) on the server was ~15%. The stream from the HDHomeRun was the only thing transcoding.

-The network "load" on the server was low (234.85 KB/s UP / 1.13MB/s DOWN)

-The AppleTV place live TV was the only device streaming video

-Two other devices were streaming audio (Spotify)

-The AppleTV in question is connected over wifi, but the wifi signal is excellent and transmission rate is +600Mbps.

-On the same Apple TV, other streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, HBOGO, etc.) experience no problems and did not have any issues at the same time.

There are a ton of errors related to the source stream in those ffmpeg logs.  Does Live TV work okay in the web app?

shawn.holmes

I’m going to finish watching the current show and then I will grab the logs and post them so there is something to compare.

Folkes - we need some help here.

A whole bunch of you have requested access to this beta and very, very few have reported any feedback at all.  I'm going to start kicking people out who have not provided any feedback :).

Thanks.

shawn.holmes

I’m going to finish watching the current show and then I will grab the logs and post them so there is something to compare.

Ok. So I used the Web app to watch Live TV and it worked fantastically. Attached is the log file for that time frame.

Log (1).txt

Okay, the main difference between the two is that the web app is converting the AC3 audio to mp3 while the Apple TV is converting it to AAC (either should work theoretically).  The errors I saw were related to audio encoding.

Have you done anything special with your installation of ffmpeg with relation to AAC or audio encoders?