Live TV with Categories

uthall

We don't have an ETA, but we are working as hard and as fast as we can to make everyone as happy as possible. Thanks.

• Like 1

Sammy

We don't have an ETA, but we are working as hard and as fast as we can to make everyone as happy as possible. Thanks.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
EODCrafter

@@Luke is there any update on this, i did make a thread it was locked and i was linked here, this feature would e pretty huge to be honest!

This and combining 2 M3u's or more into 1 channel listing but have all those Streams available! 1 Emby Server for my whole house would be so awesome!Luke works very hard on Emby!

Edited by EODCrafter

CBers

1 Emby Server for my whole house would be so awesome!

My house must already be awesome with only my one server then :D

• Like 1

PeteLocky

an easy and temporary solution would be to incorporate xTeve for the manipulation of the m3u, when you add m3u tuners if there is more than 1, maybe the first live tv page could be an index of the tuners (custom naming of the m3u tuners would be nice as they are all called the same at the minute) like a splash? so 1 tuner you can name Entertainment and the m3u url would be to something such as xteve using parameters and so on.. ? literally the only pitfall with emby at the moment, as i said earlier, miles better than plex

• Like 1

EODCrafter

My house must already be awesome with only my one server then :D

My IPTV allows 1 Stream per Login. You can buy as many sub-accounts as you like. You must have Vaders-like or Beast-like IPTV that allow multiple Streams. (Unfortunately their Service is not that great) I would have to have 3 listings of channels in the guide and each person viewing would have to know there "assigned" channel Like ABC-1, ABC-2, ABC-3. Not a ideal setup. If I'm watching ABC-1 and another user clicks on NBC-1, both channels would drop.

Edited by EODCrafter

EODCrafter

an easy and temporary solution would be to incorporate xTeve for the manipulation of the m3u, when you add m3u tuners if there is more than 1, maybe the first live tv page could be an index of the tuners (custom naming of the m3u tuners would be nice as they are all called the same at the minute) like a splash? so 1 tuner you can name Entertainment and the m3u url would be to something such as xteve using parameters and so on.. ? literally the only pitfall with emby at the moment, as i said earlier, miles better than plex

Not really practical for people with 5000+ channels. I use xTeVe, but I use it to "trim" the m3u and get rid of the channels I don't want.

Edited by EODCrafter

CBers

My IPTV allows 1 Stream per Login. You can buy as many sub-accounts as you like. You must have Vaders-like or Beast-like IPTV that allow multiple Streams.

My provider, not one of those you mentioned, allows upto 10 streams.

You have to pay for them, but it's allowed.

• Like 1

EODCrafter

My provider, not one of those you mentioned, allows upto 10 streams.

You have to pay for them, but it's allowed.

Looking forward to @@Luke addition and having 1 channel listing pulling from the pool of all provider sub accounts.

Because of this, most providers are now looking at IP's connected to their service so as to stop people from making their IPTV Service into a "personal" IPTV Service. Expect to see more of this...I just want it for  the 3 TV's in my home.

Edited by EODCrafter

alexpaton

It seems to me that how IPTV m3u should work is:-

-> Add IPTV m3u Source

-> Run query for all unique group titles and add to database/xml.

-> Show user a list of all groups, with tick boxes for each group (select which ones you want).  Build in something that allows you to select/deselect empty group titles, or ones with only a space.

-> Add only the groups that are selected. - WARN user of potential hazards of adding large numbers.

Of course, you should also consider the possibility (probability?) that the provider will change channel listings and add or remove groups.  When this happens, they should be deselected by default, but with a server only option to select new groups.

IF it was done this way, you could almost clone the functionality, and have a separate import facility on the VOD content, which could be added to a 'Streams' library.  I have actually exported the strm to files, and added them as a library on my Emby server, which works pretty well.

Again, IF the import was done in this manner, surely the process of going to the Live TV Guide, then selecting (for example) USA would be as simple as selecting the group-title that you have previously imported.  I personally have UK, USA, Canada, Australia and France, because I am greedy.

In short, it seems to me that the development cycle should START with the m3u import, as it will make all of the later stages easier.

Edited by alexpaton

It seems to me that how IPTV m3u should work is:-

-> Add IPTV m3u Source

-> Run query for all unique group titles and add to database/xml.

-> Show user a list of all groups, with tick boxes for each group (select which ones you want).  Build in something that allows you to select/deselect empty group titles, or ones with only a space.

-> Add only the groups that are selected. - WARN user of potential hazards of adding large numbers.

Of course, you should also consider the possibility (probability?) that the provider will change channel listings and add or remove groups.  When this happens, they should be deselected by default, but with a server only option to select new groups.

IF it was done this way, you could almost clone the functionality, and have a separate import facility on the VOD content, which could be added to a 'Streams' library.  I have actually exported the strm to files, and added them as a library on my Emby server, which works pretty well.

Again, IF the import was done in this manner, surely the process of going to the Live TV Guide, then selecting (for example) USA would be as simple as selecting the group-title that you have previously imported.  I personally have UK, USA, Canada, Australia and France, because I am greedy.

In short, it seems to me that the development cycle should START with the m3u import, as it will make all of the later stages easier.

But for the above to work we need to be able to map the tags found in the m3u to the relevant Emby tags as not all IPTV providers follow the same tag naming conventions

alexpaton

But for the above to work we need to be able to map the tags found in the m3u to the relevant Emby tags as not all IPTV providers follow the same tag naming conventions

Hmm.  I thought most of them that use categories used "group-title".  I've only really used xtream-codes, which all seem to, and a few free ones, which also have, I think.  How does Telly (the xTeve competitor) manage it, or does it only work with xtream ones?

If they don't, then I suppose that the only thing you could do would be to introduce group-title to emby, and import multiple provider tags (that all mean category), to the same emby field.  It would be a bit hit and miss at first.

• Like 1

EODCrafter

Hmm.  I thought most of them that use categories used "group-title".  I've only really used xtream-codes, which all seem to, and a few free ones, which also have, I think.  How does Telly (the xTeve competitor) manage it, or does it only work with xtream ones?

If they don't, then I suppose that the only thing you could do would be to introduce group-title to emby, and import multiple provider tags (that all mean category), to the same emby field.  It would be a bit hit and miss at first.

@@gbanks2 group-title= has been part of every IPTV m3u I have ever seen...this is Universal. What they call the "group-title=" varies greatly with each service. IE mine has 

group-title=General Streams
group-title=Sports

Ect.....

@@Luke has stated Numerous times, "This is Part of a Future Update" for now, Use xTeVehttps://discord.gg/eWYquha

Edited by EODCrafter

alexpaton

@@gbanks2 group-title= has been part of every IPTV m3u I have ever seen...this is Universal. What they call the "group-title=" varies greatly with each service. IE mine has 

group-title=General Streams
group-title=Sports

Ect.....

@@Luke has stated Numerous times, "This is Part of a Future Update" for now, Use xTeVehttps://discord.gg/eWYquha

I am indeed using xTeve.  I was in no way, intending to sound like I was being demanding; rather, I was intending to try to be clear in advance, how I think it should work, in advance of the long and tedious work of developing it.  If everyone does that, then a reasonable amount of consensus among users could be reached, as to how the majority of users think it should work.

I see what you meant about them being different now.  That was why I said that the query should be run on import (and update).  That way, you have imported the group titles and written them to disk (DB or XML), and the fact that the database values are different from one provider to another, is irrelevant.  I am not a developer, but I have done a fair amount of database design, and have regularly had to import like that.  More importantly, I have regularly had to go back and re-design, because the client comes back with "Could you just add categories", or similar, and had to basically re-design the whole thing, because it should have been added at the beginning.

PeteLocky

xteve is all well and good for chopping down the m3u but then when importing categories if you have say 200 channels emby cant cope, once the categories are in place, laughing, will still be beneficial to cut out the crap stuff mind

alexpaton

xteve is all well and good for chopping down the m3u but then when importing categories if you have say 200 channels emby cant cope, once the categories are in place, laughing, will still be beneficial to cut out the crap stuff mind

Have you come across Telly?  If you combined the functions of Tellt and xTeve, and gave it the xTeve gui (plus a bit), there would be no need for anything else.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
EODCrafter

@@Luke is there any update on this?

This has been THREE YEARS Coming (according to github issue request) and your asking for weekly updates? Find a new hobby. :)

Edited by EODCrafter