Real time monitoring stopped working on Emby in Docker recently

skurvy_pirate

skurvy_pirate

Recently I noticed that my Realtime monitoring doesn't seem to be picking up newly added items. This used to work for me in the past and I don't think I have changed any paths or anything since moving to Docker. Is there anything I can try or check to debug this? The storage is on a NAS but there are shares mounted on the Linux system that point to them, and then Emby maps those paths and uses them in the media library settings.

Why do you think it stopped working? Can you discuss that a little more? Thanks.

skurvy_pirate

I should say it stopped working for me, not in general. I say it stopped working because newly added videos use to show up in Emby without doing a media library scan. Now they do not show up until the media library scan has been run.

I would double check your Emby library setup. Click on each library individually and ensure the realtime monitor is enabled for that library. thanks !

skurvy_pirate

It is enabled for all of my libraries, I have just double checked. Should I try disabling it and re-enabling it? Anything I can try on the Linux box to see if something is broken at that layer?

mastrmind11

It is enabled for all of my libraries, I have just double checked. Should I try disabling it and re-enabling it? Anything I can try on the Linux box to see if something is broken at that layer?

Have you tried bouncing the container?

skurvy_pirate

Have you tried bouncing the container?

Do you mean restarting it? If so, then yeah. I have updated and restarted it a number of times since I started having the issue.

mastrmind11

Do you mean restarting it? If so, then yeah. I have updated and restarted it a number of times since I started having the issue.

And it never works even once after the container is restarted?  What about the box itself?

skurvy_pirate

And it never works even once after the container is restarted?  What about the box itself?

It hasn't. I haven't rebooted the box itself in a long time. I will try that now.

skurvy_pirate

After rebooting everything I still have the same issue. But it gave me an idea to leave the share open and see what happens when new files are added. If I add the files on my PC with the share open on the Linux box, the folder doesn't show the changes until I refresh the folder. So it seems like there is something going on at the file system layer and it is not the real time monitoring of Emby. 

mastrmind11

After rebooting everything I still have the same issue. But it gave me an idea to leave the share open and see what happens when new files are added. If I add the files on my PC with the share open on the Linux box, the folder doesn't show the changes until I refresh the folder. So it seems like there is something going on at the file system layer and it is not the real time monitoring of Emby. 

Nice.  Figured as much.  If this share isn't on a windows box, switch to nfs.  If it is, there are plenty of googles that can guide you.  Windoes + Linux environments are inherently not easy.  And smb is inherently slow in Linux land.

Edited by mastrmind11

skurvy_pirate

Nice.  Figured as much.  If this share isn't on a windows box, switch to nfs.  If it is, there are plenty of googles that can guide you.  Windoes + Linux environments are inherently not easy.  And smb is inherently slow in Linux land.

Yeah it is on a QNAP NAS. I will enable NFS for those shares and see if it that solves it.

skurvy_pirate

Still haven't had any luck. I enabled NFS v2/v3/v4 on my QNAP NAS and mounted the share as NFS. Changes on the Windows side still aren't seen if the folder is open until a refresh. I need to dig some more into the Linux side and see why I am having such trouble.

• 2 weeks later...
skurvy_pirate

I ended up using a utility to monitor the mounted cifs share and modify any new file that showed up from the Linux side. This got real time monitoring working for me again. Obviously the issue wasn't with real time monitoring on Emby side, but it was a pain getting a CIFS mounted share in Linux to get new files to show up. I mean still it technically isn't working without this hacky solution. But I found it is a common problem.