Watching HDHomerun Connect emby CPU Spike

ewalkersc

ewalkersc

I'm running Emby version 24 on a QNAP Ts-251+ with 8GB of RAM.  When I watch any channel streamed from a HDHomerun connect my CPU spikes to over 90%.  When trying to record 2 items using the 2 tuners, it becomes unusable.  Is this normal?  Any suggestions?

If transcoding is required, and if your server can't handle it, then yes this is normal.

If you limit your playback to emby apps that can direct play the live TV, then you'll see lower CPU usage.

ewalkersc

I'm using the emby app on a new nvidia shield android TV device.  It is clearly not direct playing.  How do I check\enforce\enable direct play?

ewalkersc

Thanks

I'd like to get that to directplay to my android, but what if I'm recording two channels at the same time and not actually watching.  Any suggestions?  I don't have the same issue when recording an IPTV channel.  This only happens on the HDHR.

maegibbons

Thanks

I'd like to get that to directplay to my android, but what if I'm recording two channels at the same time and not actually watching.  Any suggestions?  I don't have the same issue when recording an IPTV channel.  This only happens on the HDHR.

I would guess the stream from the HDHR is Interlaced MPEG and therefore needs to be transcoded.

Your IPTV will already be H264.

the CPU's in the Qnaps are not very powerful.  You would be better having a seperate server machine with enough horsepower to do lots of transcoding connected to the Qnap as your media Library - Thats exactly what I have.

Krs

Mark

ewalkersc

That's actually what I'm switching from.  I had an old WMC running and moved all my video library to a QNAP to get rid of the extra system and electricity usage.  It seems to work ok when you are trying to record 1 thing form hdhr, but when you do 2 at a time especially more than an hour in length.  The QNAP CPU spikes and eventually eats up all the RAM and swap file.    Are any of the other SANS more powerful or is there some other way to record from HDHR?

maegibbons

Hi

The High end qnaps have I3,i5 and i7 series intel processors which will handle what you want to do.  Its just the qnap you have is low spec and low priced

Krs

Mark

to get rid of the extra system and electricity usage.  ....  Are any of the other SANS more powerful 

You realize those are competing goals, right ;).  You downsized your hardware to reduce its consumption and now are looking to get more power out of it...

It is just a matter of finding the right balance between those two.  Perhaps one of the suggestions above will hit it for you.

ewalkersc

You can have a more powerful SAN without having the high energy consumption of the previous PC I was using.  I had no idea the recording from the HDHR would require that much CPU usage. I guess I'm really looking for that sweet spot that would allow me to record from the HDHR at least 1 and ideally 2 streams without spiking the CPU on the box.  Is there any documentation or discussion that would address the actual CPU requirements for that?

clarkss12

Why would transcoding be involved for recording?  If transcending is not involved, then why would the CPU usage go up??  Also, the HDHomeRun Connect is for OTA streams, the Extend does the transcoding on board, so no transcoding needed.

Why would transcoding be involved for recording?  

Depends on his recording settings.

ewalkersc

Depends on his recording settings.

I do have the Live TV setting Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format  checked.  With it unchecked, the CPU usage is fine, but the TS files are huge.  It would be nice to be able to do the conversion per tuner or ideally have a schedule to do the conversion later, during unused time.  This does seem to finish it takes a while and is unusable while recording and trying to watch.

ewalkersc

Most of our apps do support watching the in-progress recording now.

Yes you can watch the recording in progress. 

The system is unusable while it's doing the conversion of the TS file because of the CPU consumption.  The only option I see for conversion is to do it while it's recording.  It would be nice to be able to do conversions as a scheduled task at a later time.

• 1 month later...
earthtorob

I've got high cpu usage during recording.  I don't have any transcoding setting turned on for recording.  And it looks like my recordings to to my temp folder for a little while.

I don't want Emby to do any transcoding during recording.

How do I turn it off? 

Edited by earthtorob

Hi, just go into the server's live TV settings and you can turn it off from there. Let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Guest asrequested

I've got high cpu usage during recording.  I don't have any transcoding setting turned on for recording.  And it looks like my recordings to to my temp folder for a little while.

I don't want Emby to do any transcoding during recording.

How do I turn it off? 

If it is transcoding, there'll be a transcode log.

earthtorob

Looking at what is going on.....

I have two recording set up back to back on the same channel.  There is a couple minutes of overlap.  Its the temp file for file splitting?

Both recordings are interlaced. 

I tried just a single recording that was 720p and it created a temp "ts" file.  At the same time it created a properly names "ts" file in my recording folder.  So it's writing two files and I believe there is zero transcoding.

After the recordings were finished the temp files disappeared. 

So, it doesn't seem to be related to video source or video transcoding or trimming. 

I've attached a log.....hmmmm....Maybe I won't.    How do I attach?

Currently this is normal that there are two temporary files when recording, in order to accommodate the tuner sharing feature. we're looking into the small cpu spike. thanks.