Question about delete

bardmaster

bardmaster

Just uploaded a Roku beta log from "Matrix" earlier this evening: I like to watch only the opening monologue of my late night talk shows, then delete the episode. What happens when I do this, however, is ALL episodes for that show get deleted!

In my example, I watched the first 15 minutes of Monday's Trevor Noah. I hit Back, then deleted the episode, and the Roku Emby app also deleted Tuesday's show, which I hadn't watched yet.

Do you have the server log from the same session?

Can you reproduce this?

What about with the web app?

There was only a single delete request from the app but it is for a different ID than the item you were watching.

Looking closely at the log it looks like you were on the Series page and had hit the "Play Next Up" button and then, when you returned, you asked the app to delete the series and it did...

bardmaster

Interesting!  No, I hit "Delete" at the episode page - I am 100% certain.  Here's my sequence of events:

1. Halfway thru the video I hit the Back button to stop the stream and return the episode page - which properly updated the "resume at..." button to reflect where I had left off.
  2. Still in that same page I selected Delete - it asked me to confirm deletion of that video file and I said yes and it took me out to the series page.
  3. When I clicked on "Play Next Up" the progress meter circled for about a couple minutes before I gave up.
  4. I hit Back and exited to the main Recordings library page - which still showed the series and that I had 2 episodes to watch (one of which I had just requested to delete).
  5. I then hit Back again to exit to the main menu, then went back into Recordings, and found the series was completely gone.
  6. I confirmed on the server that the entire series had been deleted.

This has happened to me three times now.  The first time I wasn't sure if I did something wrong, the second time I know I did the above sequence (and my wife remarked that this happened to us before) but didn't report it.

I can certainly reproduce, believe it is a Roku-specific issue but will try first in the web app to confirm.

Here is your log.  Notice the navigation to the Series page at the top.  Then there is no other navigation until a button is pressed which is the "resume" button on the series page (which, on the interface, is labelled "Play Next Up").

[BaseGrid] ItemSelected - index: 1
[MainScene] ViewItemSelected: The Daily Show With Trevor Noah Type: Series
[DetailsView] OnSetContent
[MainScene] ShowView: DetailsView
54:13.828 [ItemContentTask] Start
Getting metadata for Id 46b84574d2a82c208150ad58c0be397e
getVideoMetadata - URL: http://192.168.1.3:8096/emby/Users/b79e4d0da2d7447abebd1e2f1c95c849/Items/46b84574d2a82c208150ad58c0be397e?fields=Overview
[DetailsView] ContentLoaded
Task idNextEpisodesTask run
Task idSeasonsTask run
Task idSimilarItemsTask run
Resume: 0
[DetailButtonsGroup] OnSetContent
[ActionManager] CreateActions - ResumePositionSecs: 0
[DetailButtonsGroup] OnSetItemActions
54:15.308 [ItemContentTask] End
54:16.163 [ListContentTask] Start
54:16.162 [ListContentTask] Start
54:16.934 [ListContentTask] Url: http://192.168.1.3:8096/emby/Items/46b84574d2a82c208150ad58c0be397e/Similar?userId=b79e4d0da2d7447abebd1e2f1c95c849&EnableImageTypes=Primary,Thumb,Backdrop&fields=PrimaryImageAspectRatio&imagetypelimit=1&limit=10&excludelocationtypes=Virtual
54:16.945 [ListContentTask] Url: http://192.168.1.3:8096/emby/Shows/NextUp?userId=b79e4d0da2d7447abebd1e2f1c95c849&EnableImageTypes=Primary,Thumb,Backdrop&fields=PrimaryImageAspectRatio&imagetypelimit=1&seriesid=46b84574d2a82c208150ad58c0be397e&limit=260
54:16.985 [ListContentTask] Url: http://192.168.1.3:8096/emby/Shows/46b84574d2a82c208150ad58c0be397e/Seasons?userId=b79e4d0da2d7447abebd1e2f1c95c849&EnableImageTypes=Primary,Thumb,Backdrop&fields=PrimaryImageAspectRatio&imagetypelimit=1&limit=60
[DetailButtonsGroup] OnSetContent
[ActionManager] CreateActions - ResumePositionSecs: 0
[DetailButtonsGroup] OnSetItemActions
54:17.663 [ListContentTask] End
54:17.667 [ListContentTask] End
Task idNextEpisodesTask stop
All Tasks Started: 2
Task idSimilarItemsTask stop
All Tasks Started: 1
54:17.796 [ListContentTask] End
Task idSeasonsTask stop
All Tasks Started: 0
[ActionManager] ExecuteAction: idResume
[VideoPlayer] Processing request: play

• 3 weeks later...
bardmaster

I think I've figured out my confusion:  When one goes into a show it defaults to the Series page where one instinctively selects "Play Next Up" which doesn't take you to the Episode page but rather starts the next episode immediately.  So when one exits the video stream, as you indicate @@ebr, the Delete option is for the entire series.

This seems a bit counter-intuitive to me, but I understand the build.  It seems like it would make more sense to jump to the page for that Episode.  What I'm looking for is a simple means to watch a recorded show and delete it when I'm done - and it's far too easy and not clear that the "Delete" button on the Series page will delete the entire series instead of just that video I was watching.

The first row on the screen below the details is the next up episode if you wish to open details on it.  The button you are pressing is quick access to just play it directly.

I understand your confusion based on what you thought you were looking at but, based on what you were actually looking at I don't think it is "not clear" that the delete button on the Series page would delete the series... :)

bardmaster

OK I understand, if one is paying attention. What would be helpful is if that button said "delete series" or something to that effect.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The problem with documentation written by the developer is what is "not clear" about things is never known to the developer. Having a delete button delete episodes is one thing. Having it delete entire series is another.

The app can be smart enough to know there are still unwatched episodes in that series. It can prompt "Delete entire series? You have X unwatched episodes of this series. Please confirm: [delete all] [delete watched] [cancel]".

If there arent unwatched episodes in that series it can simply prompt with "Delete entire series? Please confirm: [delete] [cancel]".

This should be clear to the user the action being taken, and the app should give the user reasons to not delete the entire series (ie, they missed an episode and arent aware). You need to remember that the app is always smarter than the user. Always. So it should always engage a user with questions when an interaction occurs that can have dire consequences.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There is a confirmation prompt warning that the item will be deleted not only from Emby but from the file system as well.  I can improve it to be even more obvious but, in the end, many people simply don't read these types of confirmations - especially if doing something they do a lot.

I will improve the message but this is one of the reasons I don't like our delete feature in the first place - it can be too easy to do something irreversible.  But, if we make it too hard, people complain it is too hard :).

• Like 1

bardmaster

There is a confirmation prompt warning that the item will be deleted not only from Emby but from the file system as well.  I can improve it to be even more obvious but, in the end, many people simply don't read these types of confirmations - especially if doing something they do a lot.

I will improve the message but this is one of the reasons I don't like our delete feature in the first place - it can be too easy to do something irreversible.  But, if we make it too hard, people complain it is too hard :).

Ideally you would have 2 delete buttons - one for "Delete Last Watched Episode" and one for "Delete Entire Series."  Or the two options appear when you hit the Delete button, with warning notation to the right of each button as to what will happen.

If this is not feasible, my recommendation is 1) the button should say "Delete Series" and 2) the confirmation prompt specifically warns about deletion of the entire series.

Thanks as always for your support, @@ebr!