Android TV app - Home shortcut? - a way to quickly get back?

hstamas

Hi.  We are looking at ways to improve this type of navigation.

Thanks.

As for quicker solutions when you are 15 or 30 levels deep - in that case, it is probably quicker to go to the device home screen and then just re-start the app.

No, long press doesnt work that way in the Android app and @@ebr has stated before that its not an option.

Not sure what you mean.  Long press does work that way in Android TV and in Emby for that matter.

It's just that you have to be careful making use of this when you only really have 4 to 6 buttons available across the different devices.

Much of this would be a non issue if we could use keyboard commands.  We could then program 3rd party remotes to do all kinds of neat things like this.

As for quicker solutions when you are 15 or 30 levels deep - in that case, it is probably quicker to go to the device home screen and then just re-start the app.

I do this but others in the family don't really get how to do that.  .This is a pain in the butt however with a PIN set.

ginjaninja

on a different but related subject of ui navigation, i find using the back navigation button does not update the screen sometimes eg for image poster change..it seems to refresh next up list and played flag ok.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

hstamas

Not sure what you mean.  Long press does work that way in Android TV and in Emby for that matter.

It's just that you have to be careful making use of this when you only really have 4 to 6 buttons available across the different devices.

Much of this would be a non issue if we could use keyboard commands.  We could then program 3rd party remotes to do all kinds of neat things like this.

On my Nvidia Shield long pressing the back button while navigating the Emby app does nothing. Are you saying if, for example you are 6 levels deep and you press and hold the back button (long press) you are instantly returned to the home screen? What device do you have that does this?

@@ginjaninja, I still experience issues with items not refreshing too. I have to quit the app completely and restart it to see the changes.

• 1 month later...
K1ng_Lear

On my Shield with the Harmony remote it doesn't work to press the back button longer.

Maybe is it possible to bring up a little home button on screen by navigating to the left or you can bring up the siderow menu. 

BillOatman

On my Shield with the Harmony remote it doesn't work to press the back button longer.

Maybe is it possible to bring up a little home button on screen by navigating to the left or you can bring up the siderow menu. 

Or maybe lobby nvidia and other box makers to put a couple more freaking buttons on their remotes. That's the root cause.

Edited by BillOatman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
GrimReaper

What about a long press back?

That would you always bring to home.

I like that idea, there must be device support somewhere, same as long press on Home button brings All Apps/Twitch menu on Shield. And it kinda makes sense: Short press - Back one screen, Long press - Back to Home.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
hstamas

Hi.  We are looking at ways to improve this type of navigation.

Thanks.

Any progress on this @@ebr? This is literally the only thing keeping me from using tha AndroidTV app.

CBers

Any progress on this @@ebr? This is literally the only thing keeping me from using tha AndroidTV app.

That's the only reason?

It's the best Emby app by far and worrying about just that, does not warrant not using it, IMHO :)

hstamas

That's the only reason?

It's the best Emby app by far and worrying about just that, does not warrant not using it, IMHO :)

Sadly this is a “WAF” situation. The way my wife watches her lifestyle shows has her going in and out of multiple shows and getting back to the home screen by hitting “back..back..back..back..back..” just doesn’t fly.

We are using Emby Theater atm which is very nice but for other reasons I’d like to go back to using my Nvidia Shield as my main client and retire the old PC I’m currently forced to use.

Any idea if any platform other than Theater has the ability to either map a home button or keyboard shortcut or has a persistent home icon?

• Like 1

If you setup your Shield to automatically log in as your wife, she can get back to her home screen in two clicks from anywhere right now.  Just press the actual home button on the Shield remote and then "ok" on the Emby icon you should be sitting on at that point and she'll be right back at our home page.

hstamas

If you setup your Shield to automatically log in as your wife, she can get back to her home screen in two clicks from anywhere right now.  Just press the actual home button on the Shield remote and then "ok" on the Emby icon you should be sitting on at that point and she'll be right back at our home page.

I’ll give this a try next time I get my Shield set back up but I ride this workaround today on my daughters FireTV and found that Emb buffers the last page you where on when you exit to the FireTV home screen so going back in to the Emby app rings you were you left off. Hoping the Shield acts differently?

I’ll give this a try next time I get my Shield set back up but I ride this workaround today on my daughters FireTV and found that Emb buffers the last page you where on when you exit to the FireTV home screen so going back in to the Emby app rings you were you left off. Hoping the Shield acts differently?

Ah, yes, that is actually the Android OS doing that.  It may very well behave the same on the Shield.

hstamas

Ah, yes, that is actually the Android OS doing that.  It may very well behave the same on the Shield.

Fired up the Shield just to be sure and as you surmised it's buffering the last page you were on before going back to the Shields home screen :(

hstamas

The latest beta of the app will return home on a long-press of the back button.

At the risk of biting the hand that feeds us ;) any way this could be mapped to a keyboard function? Would love to have this Geiger with a short button press using my Harmony remote.

K1ng_Lear

At the risk of biting the hand that feeds us ;) any way this could be mapped to a keyboard function? Would love to have this Geiger with a short button press using my Harmony remote.

I use an Harmony Elite with my Shield and it works perfectly with a long press on the return button.

hstamas

I use an Harmony Elite with my Shield and it works perfectly with a long press on the return button.

Yup. Me too.

Just looking for a quicker button press. Not a big deal just would be nice if possible.

• 7 months later...