Can't play videos on Android - Works everywhere else

chuckd
Go to solution Solved by chuckd,

chuckd

Hello.  Hopefully this doesn't get buried among all the sync issues in here.  I just signed up for Premiere so that my wife and I could watch our content on my tablet and/or phone, both of which are Android.  I can't get anything to play for more than a couple seconds, however.  Usually I get a pause at the start and then i see maybe 2 seconds of the video and then it just freezes and goes black.  This is with Auto set in the quality in the app, so I'm assuming it's playing direct.  If I set the bitrate to something crazy low then it will play longer, but the transcoding sucks up all of the CPU on the server.  None of this happens when playing over the web browser or on the Roku.  Both of those use up 25% cpu each (so a single core/thread) and play flawlessly. 

I've attached the log files.  I did notice in the server log that it says Unknown Profile when trying to play the video file from Android and also that it doesn't support direct play.

Thanks.

Charlie

MB-ServerLog.txt

f8bfee98-b702-4e44-b725-6e667fd94af2.log

Edited by chuckd

I have the same problem but: This is only true for files with 5.1 audio. All stereo videos do work.

Is it possible to downsample the audio for iOS and Android devices?

cheers

Would it be possible to change the device.xml for mobiles devices so that audio will be converted to 2 channel mp3 ?

And if yes - where can i see the device id?

And what would i need to change. "TranscodingProfile" to only mp3 did not the trick.

Cheers

chuckd

Unfortunately it still doesn't work for me even with low quality 480p video and 2.0 audio video files.  Hopefully we get some support from the dev soon.

hi @@chuckd, in your log it is direct playing, not transcoding. are you sure you attached the right one? thanks.

I have the same problem but: This is only true for files with 5.1 audio. All stereo videos do work.

Is it possible to downsample the audio for iOS and Android devices?

cheers

We're sorry to hear about your playback issue. In order for us to best help you, please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

chuckd

Here's the logs from this morning.  One from the tablet and one from my phone.  On the phone I just get a black screen with nothing happening, but interestingly the progress meter on the server has moved, so it thinks it's playing.  I just don't see or hear anything.  On the tablet, it play a few seconds and then stops for 10+ seconds and then maybe plays a few more.  That seems like a bandwidth issue, but that sounds crazy to me as I'm sitting next to my wifi router and have no issues with other bandwidth intensive tasks on my devices.  But maybe?

Galaxy S6 phone.log

Nexus 9 tablet.log

chuckd

This log is if I set the quality to 720p - 1Mbps.  This causes ffmpeg to use 100% of the server CPU and does not keep up. 

This one did generate the expected transcode log on the server, but clearly the problem with this is not enough CPU power to transcode to that level, which I don't understand since the Roku's have no problem and ffmpeg only users 25% of the CPU.

c3cea7cc-e858-42b7-b614-8b9b0a09f005.log

server-log.txt

transcode-Log.txt

• Solution
chuckd

Success!  Turns out it was a bandwidth issue.  After running some wifi speed test between various devices and PCs on my network revealed I was getting <1 Mbps from the HTPC outbound.  Inbound was around 150!  One driver update later and now I'm at 150 outbound as well and all my files play great on my devices.  Woot.  Feel free to mark this as solved.

Thanks

Charlie

Edited by chuckd
  • Like 1