Emby server as a replacent for WMC

rob0809
Go to solution Solved by blade005,

rob0809

Hi.  I currently use Windows Media Center on a Windows 7 VM as a PVR.  I use Couch Potato to schedule the recordings.  I'd like to replace this with Emby Server.  Is this currently possible?

Also, I'd like to accomplish this on a low power device such as a Z83II Windows 10 Mini PC.  It has a quad core Intel Atom X5-Z8350 (@1.44Ghz up to 1.92) with 2GB of RAM.  Will that be enough horsepower to record?  I'm not planning on doing any transcoding as my Kodi clients will do that.  I hope the answer is "yes" as I've already purchase lifetime Premier support.  :)  Thanks for your help.

Rob

mastrmind11

You seem to be confusing recording and post-air downloading.  The former, yes, Emby's DVR feature is great.  Regarding library integration of other material, just point Emby to the directory and it'll do the scraping for you once the monitor picks up the new file.

edit:  as far as transcoding the live stream, I can't really speak to it since I have a beefy server handling it, but I'd assume if you leave audio/video intact when recording it shouldn't be too cumbersome on an Atom.

Edited by mastrmind11

rob0809

You seem to be confusing recording and post-air downloading.  The former, yes, Emby's DVR feature is great.  Regarding library integration of other material, just point Emby to the directory and it'll do the scraping for you once the monitor picks up the new file.

edit:  as far as transcoding the live stream, I can't really speak to it since I have a beefy server handling it, but I'd assume if you leave audio/video intact when recording it shouldn't be too cumbersome on an Atom.

Thanks for the reply mastrmind11.  I'm used to recording shows from my HDHomerun Prime w/cablecard in WMC and then watching it when I want.  I'm not sure what you mean by post air downloading.  Do you mean via torrent?  Thanks again!

• Solution
blade005

Hi.  I currently use Windows Media Center on a Windows 7 VM as a PVR.  I use Couch Potato to schedule the recordings.  I'd like to replace this with Emby Server.  Is this currently possible?

Also, I'd like to accomplish this on a low power device such as a Z83II Windows 10 Mini PC.  It has a quad core Intel Atom X5-Z8350 (@1.44Ghz up to 1.92) with 2GB of RAM.  Will that be enough horsepower to record?  I'm not planning on doing any transcoding as my Kodi clients will do that.  I hope the answer is "yes" as I've already purchase lifetime Premier support.  :)  Thanks for your help.

Rob

@@rob0809

I moved from a Win7 machine and WMC to a NEO Z83-4 Minix W10 PC running Emby and using HDHomeRun Connect devices to perform PVR functionality. It works well and I have not encountered any performance issues with the PVR functionality, even when recording multiple channels simultaneously. One nice addition that was not possible with WMC is tuner sharing capability. If you are recording back to back shows on the same channel and have pre and post padding, Emby and the HDHomeRun Device will only use one tuner even with pre and post padding running. So, you will have intact shows recorded back to back without missing beginning or endings.

HARDWARE SETUP:  http://minix.com.hk/en/products/neo-z83-4

NEO Z83-4 Minix W10 PC

Intel Atom X5-Z8300 Processor @1.44GHz

32GB eMMC System Storage

4GB DDR3L Memory

Three (3) HDHomeRun Connect Devices - Six (6) tuners available

I have had 3 simultaneous recordings going many times without any issues and I believe a number of times even 4 recordings. Most of my content is played on other clients that can Direct Play and don't put a lot of stress on the CPU of the Minix box. If you have a lot of simultaneous users that are requiring transcoding of streams, then perhaps PVR performance could be impacted. But, thus far (7+ months), I have found the Emby with HDHomeRun setup on a low-powered Mini PC to be a very good replacement for my previous Win7 WMC setup.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

Thanks for the reply mastrmind11.  I'm used to recording shows from my HDHomerun Prime w/cablecard in WMC and then watching it when I want.  I'm not sure what you mean by post air downloading.  Do you mean via torrent?  Thanks again!

You mentioned Couch Potato, which, as far as I am aware, is a newsgroup downloader.  That's what I meant by "post-air".  Does CP have some sort of WMC integration?  In any case @@blade005 confirmed you should have no issues.

blade005

You mentioned Couch Potato, which, as far as I am aware, is a newsgroup downloader.  That's what I meant by "post-air".  Does CP have some sort of WMC integration?  In any case @@blade005 confirmed you should have no issues.

@@mastrmind11

@@rob0809 mentioned that he used Couch Potato to remotely schedule WMC recordings. CP was one of the few options available to remotely schedule recordings in WMC until Emby came along and offered Live TV and integration with a number of Live TV plugins, including WMC.

wizbowes

@@mastrmind11

@@rob0809 mentioned that he used Couch Potato to remotely schedule WMC recordings. CP was one of the few options available to remotely schedule recordings in WMC until Emby came along and offered Live TV and integration with a number of Live TV plugins, including WMC.

I assumed he meant remote potato by Fat Attitude as that lets you schedule recordings on WMC.  Couch Potato doesn't do that....

blade005

I assumed he meant remote potato by Fat Attitude as that lets you schedule recordings on WMC.  Couch Potato doesn't do that....

Ah. Good catch. I had Remote Potato on the brain. Been years since I used it.