Roku MKV Audio Channel Playback Problem

toddla
Go to solution Solved by Tikuf,

Converted folder structure DVDs using Handbrake to MKVs.  Set Handbrake to AC-3 as the first audio channel and a conversion of AC-3 to Stereo as the second.  Something strange happening with the audio on some.  On the same DVD, with 5.1 audio, as an example, the first title converts just fine and plays in direct mode without issue.  Second title using exactly the same settings in Handbrake doesn't play at all and in fact gets stuck on the retrieving screen.  Can't figure out what's different.  Using the latest Roku software and have the problem on the Roku 3 and 2 XS.  Kinda seems random, but more have problems than not.  HTML output from MediaInfo attached for a MKV that plays fine and one that doesn't.  Hopefully someone can help me understand what's going on and suggest handbrake settings that will work if that's the issue. Handbrake profile attached as well. Thanks

MiamiVice Doesn't Play.html

MiamiVice Plays Fine.html

Handbrake Profile.txt

Edited by toddla

Ya there is ffprobe doesn't look to have run on that ep at all (or failed in its attempt)

Can you please locate ffprobe in the ffmpeg dir of your server install

and open a command prompt in the same folder and run

ffprobe.exe -i "\\DISKSTATION\Digital Media\MKV\DVD TV Shows\Miami Vice\Season 1\Miami Vice S01E4.mkv" -print_format json -show_streams -show_format >"Miami Vice S01E4.json"

And post a link to the resulting json file 

Tia

Hmm.  Maybe a stupid question, but where is it usually located?  I don't see anything in the MediaBrowser ProgramFiles(x86) folder nor another obvious folder of choice.  Also, as I looked through and tried playing a bunch of different episodes across different shows, the sane problem looks to exist.  

Sorry

%appdata%\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg

in a sub folder of that path (im not sure which one you have )

but it is likely

%appdata%\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg\20140105\

If the json file has the proper info, then how do I force a re-run across all of the titles?  Pretty healthy number across multiple \title\season x\episode.mkv folders with the same issue.  Thanks for all the help.

• Solution

Cool that all looks ok.

1. make sure debug logging it turned on

How to > http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1209-getting-useful-logs-media-info/

2. Navigate into the metadata editor in the dash and select  Miami Vice S01E4

3. open %appdata%\MediaBrowser-Server\logs and delete all files inside that folder

4. switch back to the metadata editor then hit force refresh on  Miami Vice S01E4

5. Try playback if it doesn't work post the server logs (including the refresh info)

Cheers

• Like 1

Awesome!  Worked fine now.  To fix the others, do I force a rescan from the dashboard, or do I need to go into the parent for each series in the metadata editor and force a rescan on the child items?  Log attached in case there's something interesting.  Thanks for all the help.  

server-63528624000.log

Edited by toddla

• 7 months later...
monica66

The Roku 3 can play MKV, MP4 and MOV files. But there are some restrictions on playing MKV files on Roku 3.

Roku USB Media Player channel only plays MKV files encoded with H.264 video codec and AAC/MP3/DTS/AC3 audio codec. If the MKV is encoded with other video or audio codec like MPEG-2, WAV and etc, we will fail to play MKV on Roku 3 via USB drive, SD card or external HDD. Make your movies playable on Roku 3 - you need to ncode MKV to Roku 3 officially supported MP4 videos.

@@monica66

This topic was sleeping. But since you woke it up. This is irrelevant since, the Media Browser server will intelligently transcode any file the roku cannot play. Be it any flavor of roku model. Adhering to standards helps direct play, but is not required for playback. What point were you trying to make in regards to Media Browser?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles