Emby installation on Mac OS x El Capitan

jkdo44

jkdo44

Hi,

I am looking for a step by step tutorial for Emby installation on my Mac OS x El Capitan.  Sorry in advance for being new to this.  I attempted this yesterday and could not figure out the correct path to install the Emby files.  Today I am unable to even get to that point.  I cannot get the installation set up even started.  Thank you in advance for any help.

Hi, why can't you start the installation? What happens when you try? thanks !

jkdo44

ok.  made some progress.  i uninstalled emby and reinstalled it.  i am back to the initial emby setup.  i am at the Setup FFmpeg page.  What path should i set where is says Enter FFmpeg path?

thank you very much for your help.

jordan

hstamas

ok.  made some progress.  i uninstalled emby and reinstalled it.  i am back to the initial emby setup.  i am at the Setup FFmpeg page.  What path should i set where is says Enter FFmpeg path?

thank you very much for your help.

jordan

Just download from the link the installer provides and put them in a folder somewhere on your server drive (I just put them in a FFmpeg folder in Applications) then brows to that folder under the custom location section.

@@Luke. Instructions indicate that we need to make these 2 files "executable"? Im sure its just a terminal command but had trouble finding info on how to do that on the web. Any chance the instructions on the installer could be updated? I didnt do this (as the file I download is already an executable file according to the Mac Finder) and all seems to be working anyway unless it working but not optimally?

Edited by hstamas

jkdo44

So I am still stuck on the installation.  I tried the suggestion making the FFmpeq path /Applications/FFmpeg and I get the error message.....

We're unable to locate FFmpeg using the path you've entered. FFprobe is also required and must exist in the same folder. These components are normally bundled together in the same download. Please check the path and try again.

Please Advise

hstamas

Silly question but you did download both FFmpeg & FFprobe from the provided links and put them in that folder correct?

jkdo44

nope.  i clicked on the link to download FFmpeg & FFprobe and a document is downloaded.  so, sorry in advance for whining, but this is so not user friendly.  i am usually the go to person to get computer help from friends and family.  i have been using plex for the last year and a few people suggested i switch to emby.  so, i am stuck on the installation wizard. 

hstamas

nope.  i clicked on the link to download FFmpeg & FFprobe and a document is downloaded.  so, sorry in advance for whining, but this is so not user friendly.  i am usually the go to person to get computer help from friends and family.  i have been using plex for the last year and a few people suggested i switch to emby.  so, i am stuck on the installation wizard. 

Yeah that part of the install could be a little more user friendly but it is still a work in progress and is coming along.

The 2 files that you downloaded are Unix Executable files. These go into the folder you created and then at the point on the install where it asks you for the custom path, you just point it to that folder.

@@Luke, is that all thats needed or is there some terminal command that needs to be done to address that "needs to be made executable" statement I asked about above?

• 3 months later...

I have emby v 3.2.36.0 on my mac min c2d, 4gb ram, ssd, el capitan,

apple tv4 says the server needs to be updated w

eb browser portal says the server needs the server to be updated

but my mac mini cant run sierra which the next server distro needs, and i cant watch any of my media now.

help!