error: timeout connecting to server

skabais
Go to solution Solved by achharsingh,

skabais

Hi!

I was away for about week. Probably emby was updated.

When i returned home and tried to open Emby on Roku, its no longer detecting the server.

When I try to connect manually, I get the message in the subject.

Hi, have you verified that your Emby Server is running and that you can access the web interface?

skabais

Hi,

Yes, its running, I can browse and do everything through Chrome.

I checked that its up to date. Also restarted. Also restarted my PC. Also restarted my router and Roku. Also shut down everything and turned on again.

Hi.  I deleted the image from your post as it contained your Emby WAN address.

More than likely, this is a firewall or other network configuration issue.

skabais

Hi!

Thank you for support!

I was able to resolve the issue.

The issue was related to the specifics of ISP router setup.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
druasmith

Hi!

Thank you for support!

I was able to resolve the issue.

The issue was related to the specifics of ISP router setup.

Mind if I ask what those specifics were? I'm brand new to emby as well and I'm having the same issue.

skabais

As far as I understand (I have very limited knowledge on network/router configuration):

The router has four ethernet sockets, each locked for a specific purpose. My ISP provides both internet and digital TV.

1: internet

2: TV

3: TV

4: internet.

1 & 4 - so I had connected Roku to 1 and PC to 4, once I switched cable around - Roku 4 and PC 1, it worked fine. Cant explain reasons, lack understanding, but one of those 1 or 4 is locked in "bridge mode".

druasmith

Nevermind. I figured out I was connecting to the wrong host ip. Thanks for checking in though. Better support than Plex offers.

skabais

Hi again!

The problem is back and this time in a worse form.

No matter what I do Im getting the message in the subject - error timeout connecting to server.

First I checked that generally internet connection is working - I opened youtube app on Roku and I was able to watch videos.

So the issue is with Emby server or app and their configuration.

Also weird thing is how this problem usually starts. I watch something over night, turn my PC, Roku and TV set off and next day when I turn it on - it no longer works, this pattern is always the same.

Except this time I cant get it to work anymore no matter what I do.

Here is the situation (LAN connection):

1) I have locked down my Emby server address (Expert:Advanced:Bind to local network address), because it kept changing and I had to manually reconnect app every few days.

2) I have made sure that the port 8096 in firewall is opened both inbound and outbound TCP&UDP

3) Connection through pin nr never works for me, after I enter pin it just kicks me back to the previous svcreen to verify pin or to set up manually

4) So I try to manually connect using the http address and port as indicated in Dashboard:In-Home (LAN) access: and get the timeout error 

Please assist.

UPDATE: Also tried to connect through Android app on WAN, it also fails to connect.

Edited by skabais

1) I have locked down my Emby server address (Expert:Advanced:Bind to local network address), because it kept changing and I had to manually reconnect app every few days.

Did you actually make the address static in your network configuration on the machine?

skabais

According to the troubleshooting steps, I cant open neither LAN nor WAN address from a browser on a different PC.

As for troubleshooting steps - the guide suggests only to check if the ports are open. As I stated they are open: I have made sure that the port 8096 in firewall is opened both inbound and outbound TCP&UDP

I did stop and exit my Antivirus, in case it theoretically could interfere.. 

What else would be steps I should take to identify the issue?

Thanks!

Make sure there are no rules in windows firewall that are blocking the emby server process exe.

Even still, please make sure there are no rules in windows firewall that are blocking the emby server process exe.

Hi.  You never answered this question:

Did you actually make the address static in your network configuration on the machine?

You stated that you fixed the address in the Emby server but, if you did that, then you would have also needed to have assigned a static IP to the machine at the network level.

But, based on your symptoms, it does appear that some piece of security software is blocking the server's communication.  Also ensure that the network in windows is classified as "private" and not "public".

skabais

599496f0ca478_address.png

Yes the LAN address is static and I used the same address to fix for emby server.

However I highly doubt its relevant. Before I started troubleshooting this issue I used different address to fix for emby server. And it was working just fine for a couple weeks.

It is private network.

5994983a89a79_privatenetwork.png

P.S. I just found this thread. The behavior is quite similar, except instead of indefinitely spinning icon, I get timeout message.

Although If it was only Roku issue - I should have been able to connect on Android app.

• 4 weeks later...

Did this get solved cause apparently the roku users on my server have the exact issue, and NOTHING has changed on my server.

These issues almost always come down to network configuration.  Something may have changed that you are unaware of - like firewall or other security software settings.

• 8 months later...
achharsingh

Hi,

I am getting Error: Failed to connect to my ip address port 8096: Connection timed out.

I can browse in chrome ipaddress:8096

But when I am trying to connect through curl then its not working.

I have created a module to connect to emby. The module is working fine for one emby server but for second server its giving the timed out error.

I have confirmed that there is no firewall on the server. I have also checked the connectivity suggestions on wiki. But no luck.

Is there any setting in emby panel or its solely a generic server issue?

Regards

Achhar Singh

So you're able to use Emby apps but you're just not able to write your own code to connect to emby?