FR: MBC - Run a program

sudopinion

sudopinion

I want to run view my library of .bat and .exe files through mediabrowser.  In mb 2.6.2 this is possible through a registry hack.

How can we do this in mediabrowser 3?

please do not reply with "you can purchase a crippled plugin to do this simple thing."

I'm not going to reply by telling you to download a plugin, but i am going to say that no, it is currently not possible. Media browser theater has an app launcher that allows you to do that though.

I'm not going to reply by telling you to download a plugin, but i am going to say that no, it is currently not possible. Media browser theater has an app launcher that allows you to do that though.

Well, not exactly - unless you setup a launcher for every single batch file and executable in the library.  He requested to view and launch and entire library of executable files.  The server is currently not going to discover those - unless of course he were to install GameBrowser, which, for whatever reason, he is not willing to do.

sudopinion

The mbt program launcher plugin doesn't load artwork.

I've not looked into the codebase at all, however I am inclined to think that this is extremely easy feature to implement.

Is there something you devs can do to enable discovery/execution of bat?

Is there some workaround?

My software delivers mb 2.6.2 (which works perfectly), but it would be nice to offer the newer mediabrowsers.

problem is the clients only display the content given to them by the server, and the server doesn't care about exe's. The next server release though will support the xbmc .disc dummy file extension, which will allow you to create dummy library items. so if you put a .disc file in the same folder as the exe, then that might work and you might be able to setup an external player on mbc or mbt to handle the .disc file. the external player could be your own bat file.  as always though, server support is one thing. after that you will then have to wait a little longer for the clients to support the new feature as well. keep in mind i'm not promising your scenario will be fully covered, however, as of now it seems that it would.

sudopinion

Thanks for your replies Luke and ebr.

I look forward to future developments regarding this request and wish you luck with the new mbt which I know will be great.