Fire TV - grey screen on app startup

ss4real2

Is that for the Stable release only?

I haven't received any emails from Amazon since the very early days of the betas.

You probably re-disabled your communications options.  Every time I put up a new beta I get an email from Amazon on my test account that is setup for the beta.

logo-amazon.png

Live App Testing

41-CJ3rNXbL._SCLZZZZZZZ__AA115_.png

App Update

Emby for Fire TV

Developer: Emby

Instructions: English

Hello xxxx

There is now an update to the Live App Test for Emby for Fire TV. You can refresh the AppStore on your device to get the update. Thank you for participating in this Live App Test.

Please note that this message was sent to the following e-mail address: xxxx.

We hope you found this message to be useful. However, if you'd rather not receive future e-mails for Live App Testing, please opt-out here.

Still locking up on .47 after letting Emby idle for 5m (when the screensaver kicks in). Pressing the back button makes the grey screen filter a couple times over the course of 30s, but still needs a force stop to make it functional again.

Unfortunately, the last log I have from that server/user combination is over a year old.  That is pretty odd...

CBers

You probably re-disabled your communications options.  

No, all still enabled.

I'll double-check my spam folder the next time you push a beta.

Unfortunately, the last log I have from that server/user combination is over a year old. That is pretty odd...

Happened again - sent the logs in at 4:10pm. Server is EMBY-PC, user is MediaCenter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happened again - sent the logs in at 4:10pm. Server is EMBY-PC, user is MediaCenter.

Is your server not called "The Gallo's Media Center"...?

Assuming it actually is, here is what I found:

--------- beginning of crash
E/AndroidRuntime(31024): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
E/AndroidRuntime(31024): Process: tv.emby.embyatv, PID: 31024
E/AndroidRuntime(31024): java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate application tv.emby.embyatv.TvApp: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to get package info for tv.emby.embyatv; is package not installed?

Not really sure what would cause this.  You didn't side-load the app, right?  Or have any kind of external launcher or anything?

Fratopolis

I brought this issue up a long time ago. Think I may have been one of the first to see this lol. I even started from scratch and rebuilt the server on a new system. My solution was when I am done to just back out of the app using the back button. Though haven't tried leaving it open for quite some time now. Guess I'll give it a go and report back.

Is your server not called "The Gallo's Media Center"...?

Assuming it actually is, here is what I found:

--------- beginning of crash
E/AndroidRuntime(31024): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
E/AndroidRuntime(31024): Process: tv.emby.embyatv, PID: 31024
E/AndroidRuntime(31024): java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate application tv.emby.embyatv.TvApp: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to get package info for tv.emby.embyatv; is package not installed?

Not really sure what would cause this. You didn't side-load the app, right? Or have any kind of external launcher or anything?

You’re right. Completely forgot I changed that server name.

That said, the app was not side loaded, and it’s really the only thing on the Fire Stick. I have factory reset it a couple times in the last, as well.

Is JasonG the only one who has seen this happen on .47?

I have no idea why his app would be having such trouble with a simple screen saver invocation as that probably happens on my devices about 100 times a day...

@@JasonG - with the log that you sent - can you tell me exactly what transpired?

The Fire TV does not put time stamps in its log so I'm trying to figure out what happened when.  Thanks.

Fratopolis

Well reporting back. I'm on the latest stable and it has not heppened yet. Though I had to think hard about not backing out of the app when I was done. Became second nature and didn't realize I was even doing it.

So yes this used to happen to me everyday but after leaving the app open in between watching and after a couple days of using it, it has been fine.

The only thing I remember doing was redoing my library and Emby server install.

ebr...does the app when not browsing around and just sitting there still talk to the server. Maybe a database corruption though I'd think not though otherwise he'd be having issues browsing as well.

Jason have you tried wiping it all out cache folders and everything starting over and rescanning?

You can try this I believe side by side as well without wiping everything and using the portable install and unzip to the desktop for now and just let it rescan there then try connecting to it and see if it still reproduces the issue!? :(

Fratopolis

Forgot you were all testing beta. Hmm ok I'll update mine since it used to happen to me after I make a cahce and server backup tomorrow and test the beta and report back again.

I've been seeing the same behavior on my Fire Sticks for a few weeks now, and finally dropped in to see if anyone else had reported the issue.  I'm running the latest stable release, and have been running with auto logoff set to 1 hour.  I just changed that to never to see if that seems to make any difference.

On the FireStick I see the issue more than half of the time when I go to launch Emby.  On the FireTV I have only seen it a couple of times.

I would say that most of the time we exit out of Emby with the home button.  

I don't know whether it would be feasible, but as a workaround, I'd be pretty happy to have a settings option that would tell Emby to terminate on exit from the application.  It would beat the heck out of having to do a force stop almost every time I want to use Emby.

EDIT:  I just saw EBR's post above after posting this.  As soon as I can I will update to the new version and report back on whether or not I'm still seeing the issue.

Edited by digger11

Really hoping that the version just released on the Amazon Appstore (1.4.50) squashes this once and for all.

I haven’t had any issues on any of my Fire Sticks with .50 - if the app ends/logs out on its own for any reason, we are able to launch it again and it connects without the grey screen.

The only thing I can say is that I have cleared both the cache and data, and haven’t touched any options (so they are all at their defaults).

• 2 weeks later...

I had this happen today with my FireTV2.  I had it on never for auto logoff and auto login.  It doesn't seem to happen with the FireTV Stick 2 that I have.  I'm using the most recent  publicly released app (1.4.51a), and server version 3.2.30.0 on linux (Debian).  

Erik

mwongjay

I had this happen today with my FireTV2.  I had it on never for auto logoff and auto login.  It doesn't seem to happen with the FireTV Stick 2 that I have.  I'm using the most recent  publicly released app (1.4.51a), and server version 3.2.30.0 on linux (Debian).  

Erik

@@ebr has updated the app which is currently in beta that fixes this issue. I had long experienced this issue, but happy to report that I have not had any grey screen incidents with his latest beta so be on the lookout when it finally makes it to the stable version

@@ebr has updated the app which is currently in beta that fixes this issue. I had long experienced this issue, but happy to report that I have not had any grey screen incidents with his latest beta so be on the lookout when it finally makes it to the stable version

Actually, this is primarily addressed in .51 which is already out to the public.  This may be something different (any app crash will produce this grey screen on the Fire).

@@mwongjay is it reproduce-able?

mwongjay

Actually, this is primarily addressed in .51 which is already out to the public.  This may be something different (any app crash will produce this grey screen on the Fire).

@@mwongjay is it reproduce-able?

My issue was opening Emby after periods of inactivity or if I was in the middle of watching a stream and went to the ATV home screen and reopen Emby I'd get the grey screen which required me to force quit and restart. I've tested:

- Watching a stream, press home button, wait minutes, open Emby - works on .51

- On guide view, press home button, leave inactive for ~18 hours, open Emby - works on .51

The issue of changing the logout time from 1hr to never was causing the ATV to return to the home screen requiring me to open Emby again. I have yet to check if this was resolved, but will test this out tonight. I know @@ebr mentioned the fix would be in the next release.