Fire TV - grey screen on app startup

ss4real2

App started but just stayed on grey screen.

Just to confirm - you never saw anything except a gray screen, right?  No Emby splash, no login nothing - just straight to the gray screen?

ss4real2

Just to confirm - you never saw anything except a gray screen, right?  No Emby splash, no login nothing - just straight to the gray screen?

Correct

JasonG

I've also been having similar behavior, on three different Fire Sticks (1 on beta, 2 on stable) - if you need more logs or troubleshooting, I can help. My wife is doing a "force stop" almost every time she tries to launch the app to make it log in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you guys get the next beta (1.4.33) on your devices, if you get this problem again, please note the exact time that you re-start the application after you force-close it or restart the device or whatever you do to get past the gray screen and come and post that here.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Still getting grey screens on startup on the newest beta on both fire TV and stick. No change.

Once you guys get the next beta (1.4.33) on your devices, if you get this problem again, please note the exact time that you re-start the application after you force-close it or restart the device or whatever you do to get past the gray screen and come and post that here.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
tjlmbklr

Thank you for your reply.

• App is stopped in either two ways. Home button if we're going to use another app. Or by powering off the TV. 
  • Auto logoff is 1 hour.
  • Emby opens to Log on screen. 

Also, this happens much more frequently on the fire stick than the fire TV. The fire TV is used much more frequently, while the fire stick is used approximately twice a day and hours apart. Not sure if there's any correlation.

I feel like you are reading my mind, my FireStick is notorious for this, and my FireTV rarely if ever does it anymore. 

ss4real2

I feel like you are reading my mind, my FireStick is notorious for this, and my FireTV rarely if ever does it anymore. 

Yeah it's about 80/20 between Firestick & FireTV. Unfortunately it rarely happens when I'm home so I haven't logged an exact time yet. 

On a side note; I changed the auto log-off to 30 minutes in attempt to force a re-login more often. But instead now it doesn't log out at all, ever. Tested it by leaving it untouched for more than 24 hours and it was still logged into my wife's profile. I changed it back to 1 hour after that. 

tjlmbklr

Yeah it's about 80/20 between Firestick & FireTV. Unfortunately it rarely happens when I'm home so I haven't logged an exact time yet. 

On a side note; I changed the auto log-off to 30 minutes in attempt to force a re-login more often. But instead now it doesn't log out at all, ever. Tested it by leaving it untouched for more than 24 hours and it was still logged into my wife's profile. I changed it back to 1 hour after that. 

Mine's far less than that, as a matter of fact I can't recall the last time my FireTV Emby app crashed. 

ss4real2

Update. Grey screen on boot on FireTV. Time was at 3:01 pm  MT (UTC-07:00) today (8/18). I had to back out & force close it via the Fire application manager and then it launched normally into the login screen.

Update. Grey screen on boot on FireTV. Time was at 3:01 pm  MT (UTC-07:00) today (8/18). I had to back out & force close it via the Fire application manager and then it launched normally into the login screen.

Thanks very much.  Unfortunately, we are not getting any reporting or information on this situation.

Can you please try setting the auto logout to "Never" and see if it still happens?  Thanks.

ss4real2

Thanks very much.  Unfortunately, we are not getting any reporting or information on this situation.

Can you please try setting the auto logout to "Never" and see if it still happens?  Thanks.

Ok. I'll make that change. Is there anything I can do to create the reporting?

Is there anything I can do to create the reporting?

The only thing would be if you could install and connect the Android Debug Bridge and have it monitoring the system when the problem happens.  If you are willing to try that, and cannot figure out how, then PM me and I'll see if I can help.  Thanks.

regretfulapples

Since the most recent app update I have been getting the grey screen almost every time I leave Emby logged in on my fire tv devices. This is now happening more often than ever before. Am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Since the most recent app update I have been getting the grey screen almost every time I leave Emby logged in on my fire tv devices. This is now happening more often than ever before. Am I doing something wrong?

Can you please try setting the auto logout to "Never" and see if that makes a difference?  Thanks.

regretfulapples

I'll try that when I get home. Unfortunately, I can't leave it set to never as I have a kids and parents profile

ss4real2

Update.

Device: Fire Stick. 

Time: 8:03 pm  MT (UTC-07:00) yesterday (8/22).

Issue:

• Emby app loaded correctly (no grey screen) but it loaded to the login screen despite auto logoff being set to "Never".
  • When I selected a profile, it did not load correctly, and the screen went grey.
  • I was able to back out using the Fire Sticks "Home" button.
  • I launched it again. Same effect. Went to login screen, I selected a different profile and got a grey screen again.
  • I tried this multiple times before force-closing the app via the Fire stick's settings menu. It then launched and operated normally.
  • Note: When I was trying multiple times to login it showed profiles that I had attempted to login under as logging in "0 minutes" ago; as if they had just logged in (despite the grey screen).

• Emby app loaded correctly (no grey screen) but it loaded to the login screen despite auto logoff being set to "Never".

Auto logout would have no effect on the start up behavior.  There is a separate setting for that.  Is it not set to "Show login screen"?

Your other issue sounds completely different than the original one (a "grey" screen is just what happens any time the app crashes on the Fire) so that is at least a little bit of progress.

Did you send  a log from the app after these crashes?  If not, and you can reproduce it, please do (there is a send logs button on the user selection screen).

ss4real2

Auto logout would have no effect on the start up behavior.  There is a separate setting for that.  Is it not set to "Show login screen"?

Your other issue sounds completely different than the original one (a "grey" screen is just what happens any time the app crashes on the Fire) so that is at least a little bit of progress.

Did you send  a log from the app after these crashes?  If not, and you can reproduce it, please do (there is a send logs button on the user selection screen).

It's set to Show Login Screen. I will send a log the next time this occurs.

It's set to Show Login Screen.

Okay, so that's exactly what it did :).  If you want it to log in automatically, then select that option.

regretfulapples

Thanks for your suggestion ebr. I set all my fire tv devices to "never" auto log off. This seems to stop the grey screen issue. However I need the app to return to the profile selection screen on loading as I don't want my kids watching my profile. Do you think this is something you'll be able to resolve with future updates?

Still getting grey screens here on the fire stick at least. Got one this morning.

With auto logoff set to "Never"?

Was it straight to a grey screen or after some other interaction?