Fire TV - grey screen on app startup

ss4real2

ss4real2

When loading the emby app on my fire stick and fire tv, sometimes I get a grey screen. No loading animation. Just a blank grey screen. Nothing happens if I wait (waited 30 minutes). If I force close the app via the fire tv settings menu and then launch it loads normally. Manually restarting the fire tv works too.

Any ideas? It's really killing the WAF and kids acceptance factor (KAF?). Especially since my mother-in-law doesn't understand the fire tv's pin system for locking out the settings menu. But she's not the brightest.

Hi there, welcome. As soon as @@ebr sees this I'm sure he will have a response. We thank you for your patience. Thanks !

Hi.  This means the app is crashing sometime since it was last used.  It isn't actually when you are starting it up.

This happens to some people sometimes and we have not been able to re-create it yet to know exactly what it is.

Can you please tell me the following?

Exactly how do you stop using the app each day?  Do you hit the home button?  Back out of the app? Just turn off the TV or what?

What is your Auto Logoff time set to in the settings?

Do you automatically log on to a user or show the login screen each time?

Thanks.

ss4real2

Hi.  This means the app is crashing sometime since it was last used.  It isn't actually when you are starting it up.

This happens to some people sometimes and we have not been able to re-create it yet to know exactly what it is.

Can you please tell me the following?

Exactly how do you stop using the app each day?  Do you hit the home button?  Back out of the app? Just turn off the TV or what?

What is your Auto Logoff time set to in the settings?

Do you automatically log on to a user or show the login screen each time?

Thanks.

Thank you for your reply.

• App is stopped in either two ways. Home button if we're going to use another app. Or by powering off the TV. 
  • Auto logoff is 1 hour.
  • Emby opens to Log on screen. 

Also, this happens much more frequently on the fire stick than the fire TV. The fire TV is used much more frequently, while the fire stick is used approximately twice a day and hours apart. Not sure if there's any correlation.

GothsterC

I just wanted to post and let you know the same thing is happening to me.

I have a 2nd Gen AFTV and every single time I access the Emby app after having run it before, it freezes up when I return after re-logging in.  I need to go to the AFTV settings for the Emby app and clear the cache, then force stop, and then launch it.  I get back to the log-in screen, log in and then after a few moments, it starts to load up.  Like I said, it happens 100% of the time on all three of my AFTV boxes.  There is something up with the App.  I'm running the latest (non-beta) version.  After spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours digitizing all of my DVDs and Blu-rays it is frustrating that everyone in my family refuses to use Emby.  If this one thing could be fixed, it would go a long way to making AFTV Emby app usable.

Please let me know how I can help.

Thanks.

it freezes up when I return after re-logging in

I think this may be a little bit different as, I believe, in most other cases, the grey screen is all that is seen upon launching Emby.

In your case, if this is happening after some interaction with the login screen, it is probably a different situation.  If you can reproduce that and then come back here and tell me exactly what time you did it, I may be able to find out what is happening in your case.

GothsterC

Do you need a server log or something?  How will the time help?  I'm not using Emby Connect.  I am using the login screen that allows you to hide what you are typing.  I think I will try the other login screen and see if that makes a difference.  But it seems strange to me that clearing the cache, stopping the app and restarting always fixes the problem.  It's like the app is left in an unresponsive state when you have to log in again.   If I go back to the  AFTV home screen and then quickly return to Emby so no login is required, then I don't have this problem.

The time will help me possibly find an automatic crash log that we receive.

Can you explain the exact steps up to producing the grey screen?

@@ss4real2 - I've made some changes in the beta of the app that may help this (hard to know for sure since I have never been able to reproduce this problem or see a crash report from it).  If you are not already in the beta program, please follow the instructions here to join and test it out.

@@GothsterC - I'd still like to hear exactly what is happening for you because, if it isn't going straight to a grey screen, then whatever is happening to you is different.

Thanks!

• Like 1

ss4real2

@@ss4real2 - I've made some changes in the beta of the app that may help this (hard to know for sure since I have never been able to reproduce this problem or see a crash report from it). If you are not already in the beta program, please follow the instructions here to join and test it out.

Thanks!

I'll keep you posted. Thanks

GothsterC

I'm no longer seeing this problem consistently after removing most of my plugins including Auto Box Sets, Genre Cleaner and Rotten Tomatoes.  

The problem has seem to go away or at least hasn't happened the last two tests I did.

GothsterC

@@ebr  What I was/am experiencing may be different.  When I go into the Fire TV app, I consistently get the screen where I select the user.  I then select myself and it goes to the D-Pad login screen.  I then enter the passcode and it goes to the initial Emby screen.  There is a gray screen with a darker panel on the left with a search icon at the top.  However none of the items would load up including menu items on the left other than the Search.  I'm getting better behavior after removing the plug-ins.  While the problem still happens, I just go back to the FTV home screen and re-enter the app and login again.  Usually after one or two tries, everything starts to load.  Strangely it makes me login every time even if I just go the FTV home screen for a second and then back to the Emby app after already logging in.  Before I would have to both clear the cache and force the app to stop in order for the Emby FTV app to load up successfully.

@@ebr  What I was/am experiencing may be different.  When I go into the Fire TV app, I consistently get the screen where I select the user.  I then select myself and it goes to the D-Pad login screen.  I then enter the passcode and it goes to the initial Emby screen.  There is a gray screen with a darker panel on the left with a search icon at the top.  However none of the items would load up including menu items on the left other than the Search.  I'm getting better behavior after removing the plug-ins.  While the problem still happens, I just go back to the FTV home screen and re-enter the app and login again.  Usually after one or two tries, everything starts to load.  Strangely it makes me login every time even if I just go the FTV home screen for a second and then back to the Emby app after already logging in.  Before I would have to both clear the cache and force the app to stop in order for the Emby FTV app to load up successfully.

Okay, yes, that is a completely different issue.  That sounds like time-outs trying to talk to your server so, if it was overloaded or very slow, then removing those plug-ins could have an impact.

ss4real2

@@ss4real2 were you able to install the beta version?

I got the beta invite but haven't had a chance to install it yet. I will do it tonight and follow up. Thanks for checking.

GothsterC

@@ebr  Could be.  I don't have sleep enabled on the computer so it shouldn't be the computer slowly waking up, but there is a screen saver (the default).  My system should be able to handle Emby fine though as it is an i7-2600 with 16 GB of RAM running Windows 10 Home and is connected to the client via GB Ethernet.  It was running nothing other than the Logitech Media Server which wasn't actively working at the time.

ss4real2

So I've using the beta now for about a week. No grey screens or any app issues. Only small item is the Fire TV UI doesn't show the Emby "Test" version in the app list. So unless it's in the recent list it can only be launched via the settings / installed apps menu. 

Thanks for reporting back.  We'll be looking to get this version out to the public soon.

ss4real2

Thanks for reporting back.  We'll be looking to get this version out to the public soon.

Scratch that. Just got a grey screen on the fire tv. Had to force stop the emby app to get to login screen.

*EDIT* This was on the Fire TV, not the stick this time. Both are on the beta app.

Edited by ss4real2

Scratch that. Just got a grey screen on the fire tv. Had to force stop the emby app to get to login screen.

Exactly the same situation...?  Can you describe please?

ss4real2

Exactly the same situation...?  Can you describe please?

Yes same situation. Woke up TV & Fire TV with home button. Selected Emby beta app from Fire TV UI. App started but just stayed on grey screen. After waiting with no response, I hit the home button to get back to Fire TV home screen. Go to settings > applications and force stop the emby app. Go back to home screen and select Emby Beta app and then it loads fine, straight to my login screen.  

Are there any logs I could provide to help diagnose this?