Getting Emby to stream without an internet connection

Mavican

Mavican

So, i've set up Emby, and it seems to work fine over the internet. I can play to my tv, and i can access it as a server.

Now, i just can't seem to figure out a way to acess it without the intternet? Is this possible?

I have an old modem/router connected to my desktop. NO internet. I'd like my tv to be able to log into the WLAN and to be able to access and stream my files from there.

Quick question: Does anybody else find that they can't navigate their media via their tv remotes? forward/back/pause?

Hi, yes it is possible. can you please describe the actual problem that you are having? thanks !

Mavican

Maybe i don't know how to configure it to do so? I can connect to my modem/router network, then the emby server. I can then access just my basic folder system, but when i go to play the files, they won't play, telling me to check my network connection. Now i did check and all my files should be getting trans coded automatically via my desktop, so it shouldn't theoretically be a codec issue. I'm running Ubuntu on 16.04.

I can't seem to access the pretty web interface that i can on my desktop either.

Thanks.

Edited by Mavican

How exactly are you trying to play them, via dlna or via emby Samsung app?

Where can't you access the web interface from?

FrostByte

It might help to know which model tv and version of app you are having navigation issues with.  

None of the Samsung apps work without a network connection.  The hub won't even allow the app the start if you aren't connected

• Like 1

mwongjay

Emby does stream to networked clients without internet access. I can verify this approach works with ATV and iOS. 

CBers

@@Mavican - I From what you're describing, I assume you're talking about DLNA playback?

If you have the Emby for Samsung Smart TV app installed, then the Smart Hub itself needs internet, so you wouldn't be able to do anything without internet access.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Emby does stream to networked clients without internet access. I can verify this approach works with ATV and iOS. 

True, but not with all clients though which is why I asked which version of the Samsung app you were referring to and which model TV you had.  The older unofficial app which was installed using the developer userid from an IP in the UK required Internet connection because it called home before starting and couldn't start without Internet.  That was by Samsung's design (so that you can connect to port 7011 using debugging tools) and not the apps which is why I preferred to install that app from my own IIS.

With the newer official Samsung app installed from the store though you can disconnect your router from the modem and still stream to your TV.  I've watched several movies like this before.  It does require your TV to have a network connection though to start and of course a connection to your Emby server to stream.

You can also use DLNA or depending on which model TV you can also use the web browser on your TV to stream from your server.  Some of the older Samsung TVs though cannot connect using the web browser because the TVs browser is so old that it doesn't support all the new stuff Emby uses any more.  My older Samsung for instance has a version of Safari which can't connect to Emby any more

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Mavican

Luke; i'm trying to access it via DNLA, but i think my samsung tv  designates that as 'AllShare'. I'm not sure if i tried accessing it correctly, i was using the IP addesses supplied via the Emby dashboard.

Frostbyte; i'm not using the Samsung App, as i don't think i can get it as i don't live in the US. My Samsung Smart TV model is: UA40F6400AM - Series 6 40inch F6400 LED TV.

I wouldn't mind using the new App to connect, but i don't want to use all my internet connection streaming. I would preferably like to access it all without the internet though, but if you can't you can't?

How would i officially go about using DLNA, and the web browser, Would this allow me to access the pretty graphical interface of Emby, rather then the folder system which is all i've go so far?

mwongjay; What counts as a 'networked client'?

CBers; DLNA, though i think my Smasung TV calls it 'AllShare'?

ALSO everyone: Is it normal to not be able to navigate you video file via your Samsung tv remote (forward/backwards/pause etc)?? 

FrostByte

The official Emby app doesn't require Internet after it's installed, just a network connection to your server.  Unfortunately, there isn't a version for your 2013 F-series TV at this time.  I believe they are working on one that will work on 2013 sets though.  

There is a third party app for 2013s, but it does require a Internet connection.  Even installed from your own internal webserver it checks for an Internet connection

As of right now DLNA may be your only choice until an official app can be made for 2013

Do you see your TV listed as an Active device on the dashboard?

If you do then when you go to a movie on the server there should be a little icon up at the top to the left of your user icon that looks like a TV with a radio signal in the corner.  If you click that then it will ask you if you want to send the movie via DLNA to your TV

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

FrostByte

I wouldn't mind using the new App to connect, but i don't want to use all my internet connection streaming. I would preferably like to access it all without the internet though, but if you can't you can't?

The third party app doesn't use the Internet other than to check to see if it's up.  It just takes a second.  Everything is streamed from your Emby server after that.  So if you're worried about it using too much data it shouldn't use any at all.  All it does is check for a connection. 

If it's about data usage then I would just use the third party app

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/9869-samsung-smart-tv-2011-2013-third-party-app-install-instructions/?p=277345

Edit: btw there is no new app for your TV yet :) see my post above

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1