Aztec Theme New Problem Invalid App

iam4uk

Having received feedback that some earlier Aztec problems were resolved, I updated and tried it again.  I am encountering a new, repeatable, crash-causing bug.

Within my "TV" item of my Media Library, while using the Thumb Strip view (only Aztec view I use, except Detail for "Music"), scrolling through the items in the library causes MBC to crash and report "Invalid Application - unable to launch 'Media Browser 3.'"  This is the only time I have seen this error WITHIN the application; it has sometimes happened when trying to launch it.

Screenshot attached.

post-1202-0-13899600-1393013933_thumb.jpg

MB Server version 3.0.5135.31685

MB Classic version 3.0.129.0.2-12.2

Themes:  Aztec 1.0.4.1, Breeze 1.0.12.0, Chocolate 3.0.4.1, Crystal 1.0.10.2, ROC 1.0.10.2, Subdued 3.0.1.13

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1 updated through 2/13/2014 patches

leedavies

Having received feedback that some earlier Aztec problems were resolved, I updated and tried it again.  I am encountering a new, repeatable, crash-causing bug.

Within my "TV" item of my Media Library, while using the Thumb Strip view (only Aztec view I use, except Detail for "Music"), scrolling through the items in the library causes MBC to crash and report "Invalid Application - unable to launch 'Media Browser 3.'"  This is the only time I have seen this error WITHIN the application; it has sometimes happened when trying to launch it.

Screenshot attached.

attachicon.gifAztecError140221.jpg

MB Server version 3.0.5135.31685

MB Classic version 3.0.129.0.2-12.2

Themes:  Aztec 1.0.4.1, Breeze 1.0.12.0, Chocolate 3.0.4.1, Crystal 1.0.10.2, ROC 1.0.10.2, Subdued 3.0.1.13

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1 updated through 2/13/2014 patches

Oh dear, that's not good.

Could you take a look in your Windows Event Viewer and post whatever the error is that;s been logged in the Media Center section around the time of this crash.  That should reveal the cause.  Or, as is sometimes the case, an even more baffling message that doesn't really help much....  lol

I haven't seen other users reporting this so my current thinking is that it's maybe a configuration issue.  We'll know more after you post that error message.

Thanks!

Further testing reveals this error happens in other views, not just "thumb strip."

Will check Event Viewer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Event Viewer reports:

Exception System.InvalidOperationException: Error evaluating path 'Item.BackdropImages.Count'. The 'BackdropImages' member on 'Chocolate.WholeSeriesFolderModel' returned 'null' and evaluation could not continue. at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ObjectPath.Get(Object instance, Int32 idxStart, Int32 nCount, Boolean fErrorOnNullReturn, Boolean fThrowOnError) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Equality.Evaluate(IRulesHost rulesHost) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Template.RuleCollection.Update(IRulesHost rulesHost) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.View.UpdateBindings() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.View.UpdateBindings() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.View.UpdateBindings() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.View.UpdateBindings() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.View.UpdateBindings() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.View.UpdateBindings() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.NewUiZone.ImplementUiTask(UiTask task, Object param) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UiZone.ProcessUiTask(UiTask task, Object param) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UiSession.ProcessDataBinding() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Queues.Dispatcher.MainLoop(Queue queue) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UIDispatcher.MainLoop(Queue queue, LoopCondition condition) at MediaCenter.Extensibility.Host.Main(String[] args)

I do not understand any of it, and am confused by the reference to "Chocolate," but there is the info...

Thanks for any insights...

leedavies

Event Viewer reports:

I do not understand any of it, and am confused by the reference to "Chocolate," but there is the info...

Thanks for any insights...

Chocolate is the default theme now.  That error suggests the problem is actually Chocolate crashing, not Aztec.  I assume Chocolate can still be uninstalled from your plugins and reinstalled later - that would be a quick test to confirm the error goes away when Chocolate isn't installed.

Give that a try and see how you go....

I fixed it!

The Event Viewer message "The 'BackdropImages' member on 'Chocolate.WholeSeriesFolderModel' returned 'null' and evaluation could not continue. at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ObjectPath.Get(Object instance, Int32 idxStart, Int32 nCount, Boolean fErrorOnNullReturn,"

...means that MBC was trying to display a backdrop image and could not find one for a particular series (not named in the Event Viewer, but I found it via Windows Explorer to be "The Count of Monte Cristo.")

This error did not happen until the latest updates of MBC and Aztec, but I cannot guess which element has changed such that items lacking "Backdrop.png" or "fanart.png" or equivalent will cause the "Invalid Application" crash.

I created a "backdrop.png" image for "The Count of Monte Cristo" folder and tried scrolling through my TV library items again.  Success.  No crash.

Rather than call this issue "Solved," I'd consider this a workaround:  Be certain to have a "backdrop" or "fanart" in EVERY folder representing a series or movie.  If scans and updates of your library fail to generate one for any item, make one yourself.

This doesn't really have anything to do with Chocolate.  The theme in use is not properly handling the situation where an item has no backdrops.  That is a valid situation.

The problem is actually far worse than before.  Now, when attempting to enter top-level elements of my library the program crashes with the "Invalid Application" error.  This happens in Aztec, and as far as I can tell so far, only in Aztec.

So many hours wasted troubleshooting Aztec, Crystal and ROC.  Breeze has been less troublesome, in general.

leedavies

The problem is actually far worse than before.  Now, when attempting to enter top-level elements of my library the program crashes with the "Invalid Application" error.  This happens in Aztec, and as far as I can tell so far, only in Aztec.

So many hours wasted troubleshooting Aztec, Crystal and ROC.  Breeze has been less troublesome, in general.

I just looked into this issue and you're quite right - there were a couple of places in Aztec where the code wasn't actually checking to make sure backdrop images were present for a collection or series or season, but just accessing an empty list of backdrop images where none were found.  This is now fixed in the latest dev build and a release is going live later today with some other fixes and a new feature that gives you control over how the NPV/currently playing item is displayed on-screen.  The default setting is to play in the background on top of the backdrop images, but you can now choose to have the NPV as a window in any corner of the screen and it's easy to move the NPV between the corners if it happens to be in the way of something you are doing at any moment.  And you can quickly bring the NPV to fullscreen foreground by clicking on it.