Direct Playing on Roku 3 But Not On Roku Sticks

mswguitar

mswguitar

Hello,

I have several Roku 3s and a couple of the newer Roku sticks. When I watch most movies/shows on the Roku 3's, they direct play. However, when I watch the exact same thing on the Roku sticks, it transcodes. The reason is "ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit". I tried setting the Video Setting in Emby to 80MBps but that didn't help. Any idea why this would happen only on the Roku sticks?

I've attached a few transcode logs.

Thanks...

ffmpeg-transcode-252c5fd3-c586-4f46-8187-0855b8da76f7.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-500884b7-4837-420a-a54f-37feab914e24.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-edf276c8-711f-4dc3-b14b-d07dca60daad.txt

The app requested about 3mbps, but the video is nearly 4mbps. It appears you did not customize the in-app bitrate setting to a high enough value. I would try just putting it on Auto. 

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

• Like 1

mswguitar

Whoops, forgot I had set it to 3Mbps while doing some testing. I just tried setting it to Auto and also to 20 Mbps (most of my media is 3-5Mbps). It still transcoded both. Logs attached..

Also, on an unrelated note...since the last couple beta releases, the last row is squished down, see pic. Emby Roku version is 3.0.35.

ffmpeg-transcode-5af14a7f-da2b-4ff7-a0ef-2bcc33418625-AUTO.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-155e8816-da6e-4e02-bba5-0346c6833839-20MBPS.txt

post-5417-0-96661800-1499744904_thumb.jpg

The bitrate requested by the app still appears to be 3mbps. Are you sure you customized it?

mswguitar

Since it seemed like it was "stuck" on asking for 3Mbps, I went ahead and removed the all emby channels (beta, public, and and old one I had installed direct). I re-installed the beta channel and it's direct streaming fine now. 

I am still curious as to why that last row is squished down though?

Also, is there any way on the Roku app to see if the video is direct streaming? On the old version, I could press the * button on the remote while watching a video and it would tell me right there if it was direct playing or transcoding. Now I have to go back to my emby dashboard and look there. Was this feature removed?

Thanks again for your help!

I am still curious as to why that last row is squished down though?

It is just a bug in the beta.  

You can see the playback method if you turn on debug options but there is a performance cost to doing that.  If everything is playing fine, my suggestion is to just sit back and enjoy and not worry about how the sausage is made :).  There will probably be more ways to see more information in the future.

Lane03

There will probably be more ways to see more information in the future.

That's great news! As you know how much I've been asking for the OSD to give transcoding or direct play notification without the overhead of debug mode. The OP's post is another great example of why this would be useful for users.