Does slideshow work under iOS?

Cyberslug

Cyberslug

Hi folks sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I have been unable to discover if slideshow should work in iOS.

I have just installed an Emby server on my ubuntu server with the main aim of providing a way to view photos. I would like to view a slideshow on my iPad but the functionality just doesn't seem to be there and I have not been able to find anything which tells me if it should be there or not.(actually I haven't been able to get it to work on android either. It does work from a desktop web interface (if I force chrome on the iPad to request desktop and an actual desktop machine)

Can someone please enlighten me? Is slideshow on iOS an Emby feature?

Thanks.

Cyberslug

Thanks Luke, now I know I am chasing a problem with my install rather than a feature that isn't there.

I will look further.

v/r

Cyberslug

I cant get slideshow to work on iPad (or android) through the relevant apps. It looks to me like there is simply no slideshow function hence my question.

If I use a Chrome browser and select "Request desktop site" the slideshow function works and I can access controls to pause the slideshow etc. This suggests that the emby server is functioning correctly.

On the iPad app the image remains static unless I swipe left or right (or press the < > symbols to the left and right). The only controls visible are the share and close icons in top right. It was on this basis that I surmised there is no slideshow function.

I have some screen shots that illustrate this but haven't figured out how to share them here.

In case it helps I am using an iPad 2017 9.7 running iOS 10.3.2 but get exactly the same performance on an old iPad V2 running iOS 9.3.5. The app is version 1.39 loaded yesterday.

The emby server was installed following the instructions on the page linked for Ubuntu stable release on a headless ubuntu 14.04 machine with a large number of family happy snaps. 

The actual command used are

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_14.04/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install emby-server

I have signed up for emby premier to ensure all features are enabled.

I was hoping to display a slide show on the iPad V2 avoiding the apple solution of uploading all the images to the icloud only to download them to the device.  I have pretty poor internet and this simply doesn't work for me. (I know that there are other "back up" solutions but they are pretty inelegant - emby looked like a dream solution).

I am grateful for any assistance.

Well just in case for comparison purposes I would try the iOS 1.4.0 update that went out today, thanks.

Cyberslug

I have updated the app and it looks and performs exactly the same, with regards the lack of slideshow.

I will look to upload server logs on the weekend. It still looks for all the world like there is no facility for a photo slideshow on the iPad app though.

Thanks for your interest/help.

• 1 year later...

I'm having exactly the same problem on both my iphone and ipad. I choose play or shuffle, it opens a picture and just sits there, I waited for a few minutes just in case - nothing. I can swipe left or right, but slideshow definitely doesn't work. It does however work from the browser (Chrome), but only if I request request desktop site. What logs would you like me to provide to help resolve this problem?

On mobile devices it's manual, not automatic. You move through photos by swiping left and right.

Thanks, but it doesn't make any sense as I can choose "Play" or "Shuffle". Why are these options/buttons there if they're not even supposed to work? It was one of the main reasons why I paid for apps for my iPhone and iPad.

Also, you replied to the op that slideshow is one of the features of the iOS app. I don't think you can call it slideshow if you have to list [hundreds or even thousands] of pictures manually.

It's still a fullscreen photo, you just have to swipe left and right. It is always possible to adjust this in the future and allow you to do it either way.

For what it's worth, we initially had it this way a couple years ago and had to stop doing that after users thought something was wrong.

For what it's worth, we initially had it this way a couple years ago and had to stop doing that after users thought something was wrong.

Like I said, if I click Play I expect it to actually play. I would just click on Open or the picture itself if I wanted to just open it. If I don't want something to Play, I can also always click Pause. Besides, why have you not done the same for the HTML5 client if it was so confusing for users and why does it nor work in mobile browser? This all is super misleading and not properly described anywhere.

The play all and shuffle buttons have only been added recently, and yes it probably makes sense to auto-rotate with those.