Android - Limit Emby Sync Speed and Pause Emby Sync

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

Well this is ironic, asking Emby to stop syncing lol.

As a user of android client on a remote wifi connection with low bandwidth to the internet, i would like to specify a max sync speed limit to stop emby sync from consuming all local bandwidth. (not bandwidth at server end that would be for the server)

As a user i would like to tell emby android to stop syncing now or after current file completes so that resources are preserved and already utilised bandwidth for current transfer is not wasted.

I can always remove sync account , but thats a sledgehammer.

thanks for considering.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Edited by ginjaninja

• 1 year later...
justmejustme

+1

Scenario: 

I sync a TV show keeping the first 3 unwatched episodes synced to my Pixelbook.

I watch an episode

I turn on my hotspot to do some work.

Emby hogs my hotspot bandwidth and uses my 5GB/month quota when it could have just synced over WiFi when I get home in an hour...

justmejustme

Hi, the mobile apps have settings to only download over wifi.

Unfortunately, my Verizon Jetpack hotspot is WiFi... My Pixelbook connects to it via WiFi.

justmejustme

Unfortunately, my Verizon Jetpack hotspot is WiFi... My Pixelbook connects to it via WiFi.

I'm going to try disabling "Allow remote connections to this Emby Server". I guess I'll lose the ability to do anything remotely, but at least it won't eat my bandwidth quota.

Edited by justmejustme

justmejustme

I'm going to try disabling "Allow remote connections to this Emby Server". I guess I'll lose the ability to do anything remotely, but at least it won't eat my bandwidth quota.

Yep, it looks like I lost all remote access to my server this way.

Since ChromeOS doesn't seem to recognize and pass the "metered connection" flag to Android, it wouldn't even help if Emby client honors that...maybe it does, but can't see it since ChromeOS doesn't pass it to Android yet.

What would be perfect for me is if you added one more option to the Android client, right under the Sync only on Wifi checkbox. Label it "Sync only on subnet" and allow me to enter my server's internal subnet.

sephrat

Yep, it looks like I lost all remote access to my server this way.

Since ChromeOS doesn't seem to recognize and pass the "metered connection" flag to Android, it wouldn't even help if Emby client honors that...maybe it does, but can't see it since ChromeOS doesn't pass it to Android yet.

What would be perfect for me is if you added one more option to the Android client, right under the Sync only on Wifi checkbox. Label it "Sync only on subnet" and allow me to enter my server's internal subnet.

This sounds similar to the FR I made:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/74232-prevent-offline-sync-when-device-is-remotely-connected-to-server/

• Like 1

justmejustme

@@Luke, is there an API call for enabling/disabling "Allow remote connections to this Emby Server"? I didn't see it in the docs.

@@Luke, is there an API call for enabling/disabling "Allow remote connections to this Emby Server"? I didn't see it in the docs.

You just have to update the user policy or server configuration objects.

• Like 1

justmejustme

You just have to update the user policy or server configuration objects.

Thanks, @@Luke, I figured it out in the Swagger interface and made a rule in OpenHAB so I can now remote-control remote-sync!

NICE!

rule "Enable/Disable Emby Remote Access"
when
	Item modeAllowEmbyRemote changed
then
	if (triggeringItem.state == ON) {
		sendHttpPostRequest("http://192.168.1.7:8096/emby/System/Configuration?api_key=DELETED", 
			"application/json", "{\"EnableRemoteAccess\":true}")
	}
	else {
		sendHttpPostRequest("http://192.168.1.7:8096/emby/System/Configuration?api_key=DELETED", 
			"application/json", "{\"EnableRemoteAccess\":false}")
	}
end