High cpu usage

Ponyo

Ponyo

Hi,

Today I tried Emby Theater for the first time. Looks really nice and I want to try using it instead of Kodi because I only watch movies/dramas anyway.

However cpu usage when running Emby Theater is way too high. Normally my poor i3 NUC hovers around 10 ~ 15% when idling. This is normal. However when I run Emby Theater usage will shoot up to 30 - 50%. CPU temperatures go up about 7 degrees (its summer here and the NUC is running hot already) and fan noise becomes very audible.

Looking at the task manager I got two encore services which I believe are Theater related but they are only listed as using a couple of % of cpu time. I don't see any other services or software taking up loads of cpu time.

The moment I close Emby Theater, cpu usage returns to normal.

I'm running Emby Server and Emby Theater on the same device. Windows 10 and I got the app from the website, not the windows store.

Edit: Tried installing the Windows store version but it won't find the server. Maybe because both are installed on the same device?

Edited by Ponyo

Ponyo

Okay I tried installing Theater on my laptop at work (win7) and cpu usage is normal. I did a quick test running Theater on my win10 box in win7 compatibility mode and it seems this fixed the high cpu usage.

Also noticed the sticky about running the windows store app and server on the same box.

Ponyo

Hard to say but performance does appear to be a bit lower with hardware acceleration disabled and I managed to introduce some vsync tearing when scrolling back and forth fast but it doesn't make a very big difference. CPU usage is a bit lower however with hardware acceleration enabled but running in win7 compatibility mode CPU usage is about the same.

When the big poster refreshes CPU usage doubles and then goes back down again.

I haven't done any real testing with video playback yet.

Theduke

I have also the same problem on Windows 10 with Emby Theater on a Core I5 Intel NUC PC. The CPU goes high very quickly and the fans of the NUC are blowing fast.

I have tried the tip proposed by Ponio setting the compatibility mode to Windows 7 and it seems to work with the test i did.

Hope this comment helps ...

Edited by Theduke

srhamlin

Thank you Ponyo!

Long time Emby user and have never had any problems, up until Windows 10 pushed through a major update a few weeks ago. Since that update, I have not been able to play anything through Emby Theater (desktop version, not the store app). Slow page response and loading, non stop hitching picture and super high CPU usage, been ripping my hair out for weeks trying tweaks, reinstalling, etc. Just tried running it in Win7 compatibility mode and it is back to normal, super snappy menus, ultra smooth playback. 

• Like 1