Best device for emby client

LeetDonkey

LeetDonkey

Hello

I'm considering a new client device for the living room.

Currently it's an old DIY box with an I3-2100T with windows 8 + WMC, a mini-itx build in a passively cooled HFX Micro

The motherboard is acting up a bit and sometimes hang on startup, requiring a keyboard to continue.

I'm going to replace it with something new, the wife is giving me hell when it doesn't start as it's supposed to.

My collection is mostly 1080p .h264 mkv files with DTS soundtracks and .sub subtitles.

I need something that can handle this natively, preferably without transcoding on the server.

Right now I'm considering a Nvidia Shield - it seems to be a good option.

Anything I need to consider?
Does it support DTS and .sub/idx subtitles natively?

Another path could be upgrading the motherboard+cpu+RAM in the HFX enclosure to a Skylake build, either a I3-7300T or perhaps I5-7400T but it seems a bit overkill for my need.

Swynol

nvidia shield is probably the most powerful client out there apart from a HTPC.

I like the flexibility of a HTPC running Emby Theater especially with the new MPV player. I have recently built a new HTPC, with a Thin ITC board and an i3 6100t, 8GB RAM and SSD. like you said its overkill but i now have the options to run other discreet services on the same box like multi room audio and some web services. 

CBers

Nvidia Shield TV all the way - I have 3 and I know @@MSattler has 5.

You'd just need to confirm the subtitles that you have play OK.

PenkethBoy

An alternative to the Shield would be a Intel NUC - various flavours available - however more expensive

I have the Skull Canyon version - which works very well - but you do not need to go that high to get a good replacement for your HTPC

Another alternative is an Intel Compute stick - "Pc on a usb stick" - IIRC they are similar in price to the Shield - but i would check that

Have fun - New toy time :)

CBers

How's the remote on the Nvidia shield?

2015 model is excellent.

2017 model could be better.

mastrmind11

How's the remote on the Nvidia shield?

CEC is also supported.

barat

Is Shield experience comparable to Android Mobile Emby app? Especially subs like ass/ssa (muxed into mkv, and external)? On the phone I can't get those in app, but can see them perfectly fine in Chrome ...

PenkethBoy

Do you use the "basic" shield or the more expensive one with extra storage - what i was wondering is - does Emby use up a lot of the limited storage on the basic model?

CBers

Do you use the "basic" shield or the more expensive one with extra storage - what i was wondering is - does Emby use up a lot of the limited storage on the basic model?

Basic 16Gb version.

Emby app is around 140Mb on my Shield TV's.

PenkethBoy

Thanks

Was more thinking of the cache of images for the interface eye candy?

Jdiesel

The Shield TV has been the Android TV device of choice for so long that it pretty much owns the market and rightfully so as it is a great piece of hardware. I would suspect because of this ongoing software support for it will be great well into the future. I have to think very hard to come up with any negatives about it.

For me running Windows on a Media Center is not acceptable. I don't want to deal with Windows Updates, drivers, windows losing focus, needing a keyboard nearby, lack of native streaming apps, audio sync issues, jerky playback, and all of the other issues that seem to come with using Windows on a HTPC. For those who like to spend more time tweaking then watching that is great but for those who just want things to work I recommend the Shield TV. The only way I would recommend running Windows on your HTPC is if you need to run other services like Emby Server or means of acquiring new media on it as well.

I'm really hoping to see a Linux version of ET that is delivered as an appliance package like LibreELEC. That has the potential to meet my needs as a true media box.

• Like 2

CBers

Thanks

Was more thinking of the cache of images for the interface eye candy?

That is the total storage space used by Emby according to the information on the Shield.

If you want further information, perhaps @@ebr can advise.

Jdiesel

Either the Android TV app doesn't use full resolution images or it doesn't cache all the images locally. The storage space used by the Emby app on my Shield TV is 150MB and by comparison when I use the Emby for Kodi plugin and cache the images locally the database is about 800MB. I am quite sure that Kodi is caching the full resolution images.

That being said the quality of the images look good in the Android TV app and everything is quick to load so I have no complaints about the reduced file space used by the app. 

Is Shield experience comparable to Android Mobile Emby app? Especially subs like ass/ssa (muxed into mkv, and external)? On the phone I can't get those in app, but can see them perfectly fine in Chrome ...

@@barat, in order for us to help you resolve that, please provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

barat

@@barat, in order for us to help you resolve that, please provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

@@Luke - yes, I'll make a thread when server version 3.2.22.0 will rollout to Synology so I will be using new version. Will try to add logs from few devices explaining how ass/ssa is acting with those.

LeetDonkey

Hello

Thank you for your feedback, I'll give it some thought based on your replies and figure out what I'll do

Kind regards

MSattler

I do have 5 of them.  I have 1 Gen 1 Pro, 3 Gen 1 Basic, and 1 Gen 2 Basic.

By far, the best player out there.   Sure you can go Emby Theatre on Windows, but now it's just another box that needs to be patched.   Now imagine a house hold with 3 adults and 5 kids.   Would you want to manage that many Windows PC's? =) .  In our house we have the 5 Shields, 1 Mibox, and 2 Roku's.  The kids of course have their tablets as well which can be used for syncing/going remote.

I like the small size of the remote and it's simplicity.  Although in the 4 main rooms where Shields are used, /we have Harmony Hubs and Remotes.

The shields are the best HTPC purchase I have ever made.

• Like 4

Spaceboy

do you mind me asking what device you have set up on your hub to control the shield? I'm struggling to find one that has a menu button (windows Bluetooth) and works consistently (fire tv) @@MSattler

sorted

Edited by Spaceboy
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
cowsr4eating

As a former SageTV user it took years to find a true replacement, much less something that far exceeded SageTV.  I stumbled onto Plex, but quickly moved to Emby for the LiveTV support.  Until this week I have not felt like the full Emby experience met or exceed SageTV from a TV/home theater seamless experience.  

How I got here....

I started with an Intel NUC running Windows 10 and Emby theater.  It worked good, but the app/NUC had to be restarted often due to various small glitches.  The Windows 10 app from the Windows store is much more stable, but when I first turned the NUC on the Emby app may or not still be running and if it was I had to use a wireless mouse to make the app full screen.  Live TV and time shifting worked, but sometimes the sound would cut out entirely when skipping forward in recorded TV, requiring the NUC to be rebooted.  To watch Netflix required using a mouse vs. the remote, and not user friendly to navigate without the keyboard/mouse.

I then bought a Roku Premier+.  It did not require the keyboard, was stable, but the Roku interface is clunky for Emby and somewhat dated looking.  It had potential, but I could not get time shifting to work and no skip forward back .. just fast forward/backward. Netflix ran better on Roku vs. the NUC so I've been using Roku for Netflix and the NUC for emby.  I used a Harmony remote with buttons to "Watch Emby" and "Watch Netflix".  Then I had the wireless mouse/keyboard to make the Emby app full screen/restart the NUC/Emby as needed.  All clunky and my wife has not been impressed for years.

This week ... my life changed forever!!  OK, maybe a little dramatic, but words cannot explain how AWESOME the Nvidia Shield is.  

1) it just works, my wife loves it, and she can actually use it

2) I now have one seamless viewing experience for Emby and Netflix

3) Time shifting works (had to enable using VLC with LiveTV - super easy and just worked)

4) The shield RF remote was a welcome surprise ... it will power on my receiver and TV (CEC or IR)... and works the volume via IR.  

Since I no longer have a Roku or NUC I don't need the Harmony remote.  Harmony is awesome and no issues with it.  

I cannot say this any clearer.  If you are looking for the ultimate media extender for Emby go buy an Nvidiia shield.  If you are not going to play games get the cheaper bundle without the game controller.

Caveat: The new Nvidia shields (2017 models) do not have IR support unless you buy the pro version.  For sure the basic does not and I read the pro does, but cannot confirm.  Issue is if you need the ability to control more than a TV, receiver, and the shield you cannot with a Harmony without buying an IR dongle.  Similarly, in my home theater I have my equipment in a cabinet in the back of the the room.  I need a harmony hub ... that transmits IR only.  So I will need to buy an IR dongle for the Shield and figure out how to program the harmony remote to do what I need.  I think it is all doable, but lack of IR in the Nvidia basic is the only negative I can see so far.

The Android TV UI is clean, customizable, and exceeds the SageTV experience IMHO. Speaking from a perspective of my TV viewing is "I sit in a chair and watch TV on the big screen using one remote to run everything."  Nailed it, buy a shield.

I will say the Emby app (from Windows 10 store is awesome and my go-to experience on my laptop, say traveling or if watching on the big screen would wake people at night.  Rock solid with all features, and you have a keyboard/mouse to control.

The android app also rocks.  In my office I have a 21" HP Slate Pro that kicks @$$.  All touch, bluetooth audio to my in-room speakers via an "Inwall" brand in-the-wall amplifier.  Being touch again no issue navigating between Emby, Netflix, Google Play Music, etc.  Netflix has issues I won't go into here, but only Android devices run Netflix full irresolution, and cannot be rooted.  Once side loaded it runs, but the quality is noticeably poor, even on a 21" screen.  There is a Samsung 18" tablet that I thin address those issues, but problems not worth buying a new tablet.

I have not successfully configured TV time shifting on my android tablets, but I will try the VLC trick tomorrow and assume it will work.

In summary, had I known about the Nvidia shield I would have saved countless hours of debuging on the NUC and Roku testing.  I've already spent enough money on Roku 2, roku Premier+ and an i5 NUC with 32GB RAM and 128GB SSD that I could have a shield for the living room TV and home theater with money left over to pay for a year of Netflix!

My hope is this helps people looking for that perfect media extender.  If you are ex-SageTV fans you seriously need to look into Emby + Nvidia Shield.

• 5 months later...
mlcarson

@cowsr4eating:

Why didn't you just continue to use SageTV on the Nvidia Shields with the SageTV Miniclient?   That also works very well.   I'm playing around with Emby as a SageTV/Plex replacement.  My reason for this is simplicity .  Emby so far has been very simple to setup. There may be some DVR stuff that Emby can't do yet but unless it's some critical function, I'd rather have a single easy to setup program.