windows emby Theater error black screen

medric

dekekun

I have the same/similar issue. 

After updating Emby Server (ubuntu) Emby Theatre opens to a black page. Spinning loading icon appears briefly then disappears. 

Full screening does not help. 

Reinstalling/Purging the app/Installing from Git - didn't help. 

Logs are not helpful, show normal startup then...nothing. 

WebUI works fine, but really missing the theatre. 

nairnmonster

I'm having this issue too, 4 htpc's running ET are suffering from this. Tried uninstall and reinstall but no success. What else can I try???

On a side note, the 5th htpc running Emby for WMC works perfect as does all iOS apps externally and locally.

Edit: Appears this is an internal issue. Can on only access externally now. Going to check router/firewall.

Edited by nairnmonster

If you can see the app loading spinner, then it sounds like a failure to download resources from our domain.

dekekun

If you can see the app loading spinner, then it sounds like a failure to download resources from our domain.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot that? Emby.media browses fine from that machine. 

I should clarify that the loading spinner does go away after a few seconds, and after that...blackness. 

Edited by dekekun

nairnmonster

OK , have done more testing.

Livingroom – Saruman Win7: ET starts, I get the spinner then after a few minutes it would then show the Emby logo and "Home - Favourites" then nothing.

Kitchen – Sauron Win7: Same as above

Bedroom 1 - Gandalf Win7: ET gives the spinner for less than a second then goes into black screen.

Bedroom 2 – Wormtongue Win7ET starts, I get the spinner then after a few minutes it would then show the Emby logo and "Home - Favourites" then nothing.

Bedroom 3 - Nazgul Win7: ET gives the spinner for less than a second then goes into black screen.

PC - Balrog Win10: ET starts and straight to black screen.

Laptop - Giml Win10i: ET starts, I get the spinner then after a few minutes it would then show the Emby logo and "Home - Favourites" then nothing

iPhone/iPad: Emby app will not load while connected on home network but both work when connect via mobile data.

Emby server is running on Server 2016 and has been running fine with ET for months.

All machines can use Emby for WMC without issue.

I was thinking this was a network issue, but as all these connect to one server. I think this is a firewall issue at server level. I need to build another VM to test a second server and see.

Before I do that, is there any other fix I can try?

nairnmonster

On your ipad, what emby app will not load? do you mean the iOS app?

Sorry, the IOS Emby app will start but will not connect to the server when inside the house. Exactly same way as ET.

Edited by nairnmonster

Have you possibly configured your server in a way that is preventing that from being possible?

nairnmonster

Have you possibly configured your server in a way that is preventing that from being possible?

There has been no direct changes at server level on both OS or Emby

nairnmonster

I got the bastard!!!!

About a few days ago I changed a VPN and VLAN setting on the server but did not update it for the VM that hosts Emby server. Quick change, bang. Issue resolved!

That would explain why everything was working externally but failing internally.

Thanks for your help :)

Edited by nairnmonster

nairnmonster

Unfortunately thats not my issue. I don't have vlans, just a standard lan. 

Issue persists. 

Do you get a spinner before it goes blank?

Do you have external access setup?

Edited by nairnmonster

nairnmonster

Spinner for a second or two. 

No external access. 

Sounds exactly like my issue, what os hosts your emby server?

nairnmonster

Ubuntu 17.10

Physical host. 

I'm sorry matey, that is where my help ends. I'm a MS boy. But does 100% sound network based.

Have you tried disabling the firewall on the server to see if anything changes? (Just for testing)

germanguy

had the same problem (EMBY Mce running without problem) and i think it was a cache inconsistency (because i manually had deleted some of the cached content information on the win7 theater installation by accident) between my ubuntu emby server and the emby theater win7 installation. had to COMPLETELY remove the theater installation and after reinstalling theater everythinig worked again.

Edited by germanguy

dekekun

Found my solution. 

In emby server under advanced, there was nothing listed for local networks, so I assume it was considering everything to be external (which I have turned off as I don't use it). 

Added my local network and boom, all working. 

Well to others reading, you shouldn't have to put anything there. I wouldn't use that setting unless you have a reason to.

dekekun

Well to others reading, you shouldn't have to put anything there. I wouldn't use that setting unless you have a reason to.

Any ideas why mine needed to specified manually? If theres anything I should check/fix please let me know. 

• Like 1

nairnmonster

Found my solution. 

In emby server under advanced, there was nothing listed for local networks, so I assume it was considering everything to be external (which I have turned off as I don't use it). 

Added my local network and boom, all working.

I was on the right track with a network issue then.

dekekun

Try clearing it out again.

Yeah that worked. Cleared the setting again and its all still working. How wierd. 

Thanks for the help.

• 1 year later...
shawnf

Hi

I am having this issue of a black screen with Emby Theater.  It worked perfectly fine last night. There has been not updates on the machine to any of the software I could find.

I run server (4.2.0.40) and emby theater (3.0.8.0) on the same machine.

It just now opens in a black screen and when I press escape I get the familiar backdrop and that is it. Although it looks like a low resolution version of the backdrop. (As if it is zoomed in to the screen).

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the software but it didn't work. For some reason when i went to install it said the software was blocked by the admin, which I didn't do. I had to edit the registry to allow it to install.

All very weird.

If I can't get it working I might have to try a restore from my WHS.

I have since updated any software that needs it, no change in the result.

Here is the logs, something about electronapp came up on the screen which I hadn't seen before, but I see it is mentioned in the log file.

2019-08-08 20:35:45.411 Info Main: Application path: C:\Users\shawn\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\Emby.Theater.exe
2019-08-08 20:35:45.412 Info Main: Emby
 Command line: C:\Users\shawn\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\Emby.Theater.exe
 Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.18362.0
 64-Bit OS: True
 64-Bit Process: False
 User Interactive: True
 Processor count: 4
 Program data path: C:\Users\shawn\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater
 Application directory: C:\Users\shawn\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system
2019-08-08 20:35:45.439 Info Main: C:\Users\shawn\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\electron\electron.exe "C:\Users\shawn\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\electronapp" "C:\Users\shawn\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\data\electron" "C:\Users\shawn\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\cec\cec-client.x64.exe" "C:\Users\shawn\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv\mpv.exe"
2019-08-08 20:35:45.610 Info App: Application version: 3.0.8.0
2019-08-08 20:35:45.635 Info App: Application configuration:
 {"EnableDebugLevelLogging":false,"EnableAutoUpdate":true,"LogFileRetentionDays":3,"RunAtStartup":false,"IsStartupWizardCompleted":false}
2019-08-08 20:35:45.636 Info App: Loading MediaBrowser.Model, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
2019-08-08 20:35:45.636 Info App: Loading MediaBrowser.Common, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
2019-08-08 20:35:45.636 Info App: Loading Emby.Theater, Version=3.0.8.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
2019-08-08 20:35:45.673 Info Main: HDMI CEC driver already installed.
2019-08-08 20:35:45.766 Info App: Core startup complete
2019-08-08 20:35:48.766 Info TaskManager: StartupTrigger fired for task: Check for application updates
2019-08-08 20:35:48.766 Info TaskManager: Queueing task SystemUpdateTask
2019-08-08 20:35:48.770 Info TaskManager: Executing Check for application updates
2019-08-08 20:35:48.788 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://api.github.com/repos/MediaBrowser/Emby.Theater.Windows/releases
2019-08-08 20:35:51.089 Info TaskManager: Check for application updates Completed after 0 minute(s) and 2 seconds
2019-08-08 20:35:51.100 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-08-08 20:35:59.211 Info App: Disposing ApplicationHost
2019-08-08 20:35:59.211 Info App: Disposing TaskManager
2019-08-08 20:35:59.212 Info App: Disposing InstallationManager
2019-08-08 20:35:59.212 Info Main: Releasing mutex
2019-08-08 20:35:59.212 Info Main: Releasing mutex

I can use Chrome to play videos. I can connect to the server from another machine with emby theatre.

Below is emby. I could drag the edges in to show it on the screen rather then just a big black screen.

5d4bfee825350_embyblack.jpg

After pressing escape it looks like this.

To show what I mean by a low rez image or as if it has zoomed right in on a section of the screen with just the backdrop.

5d4bff41b05b2_embyescape.jpg

Edited by shawnf