Emby Web - Temporary Share Link

kingy444

kingy444

I know this feature has been mentioned a couple of times before some with positive reaction (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17250-share-link-in-web-client/) some with negative (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23482-temporary-file-sharing-link/)

What I am looking for is an easy way to temporarily share something with a friend or family member. Now I understand there can be some concern on copyright material - but at the end of the day there is no way for the EMBY admins to control that 100%, and there are both legitimate and illegal ways to use EMBY.

I sync my phone & my wifes phones etc to emby, and have LiveTV configured - so I have legitimate reasons to want to share media on a non-ongoing basis. The Home Photo/Video thing - if needed I have just downloaded the file and sent manually - but there have been a couple of occasions where my father or close friend could benefit from my libraries live tv capability but I cant share without creating an account.

I understand I can create accounts - but I don't want these people to access my library all the time.

To be completely honest - the people I want to share with aren't that computer literate (hence not using some other techniques for photos etc such as google photos) - I just want to provide a simple streaming link that they could stream by clicking the link.

As I said - can understand the illegitimate uses for this - but there are some legitimate ones too.

Any way we could have something like this implemented  - even if its off by default and you need to enable it - accepting that the EMBY community are not responsible for the type of content you share in doing so?

Really useful for me to share a home video or live tv stream to a family member who is not technically minded. One-Click links ;)

• Like 3

Happy2Play

I don't see how this would be any different then the rule found on "Allow social media sharing".

Allow social media sharing
Only web pages containing media information are shared. Media files are never shared publicly. Shares are time-limited and will expire after 30 days.

Only way I could see is creating a library for the content you want to share and create a user with only access to that content.

kingy444

I can see the similarities. As i said - even with current emby server there is nothing stopping someone making a completely open library and allowing free open access. Legal and illegal uses for it all.

Was hoping the feature could be considered based on the user base using it correctly. If we didnt trust the user base is using emby correctly really the whole server nearly has the same implications.

As i said really looking for a 'for dummies' type thing that provides the same capability as creating them an account. Just so you can generate a link to a single file or folder. Wouldnt want credentials etc. Link Expire after 24 hrs or something (maybe configurable?)

Happy2Play

I see it as users can do what they want, but Emby can be held liable for providing features like this.  Look at the issues with Kodi and its plugins.

kingy444

My understanding of issues with Kodi was the illegal streaming of movies etc. I didnt think it doesnt allowed the sharing of local media?

Surely we could limit emby legal liability by allowing this for certain content only - such as livetv (ehich is already free to air) and home video collection etc?

Not all live TV is free and the only thing that makes something a home video in Emby is you telling us that's what it is.

Many of the services we rely upon are very hawkish about any sort of public sharing capability.

I think the suggestion of a user with access to a single library is probably your best bet at this point.

• Like 1

tdiguy

Lol yes Kodi is taking heat for streaming content, Kodi is not even on the Amazon app store. The irony is that Kodi does not provide any media, its essentially a really good media player. Emby does not want to end up in a similar position by making it too easy to facilitate such things.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
oneduality

I know I'm late to this thread but I'm disappointed by this..  I've used mad/subsonic and they both allow it but I didn't like their clunky interface and the overhead.. 

I saw social sharing as a feature and saw the option in the admin UI so I went ahead and shelled out for a lifetime membership.. why? well I didn't see anything on the features list or anything that talks about what is said here..  I only found out this, well, bogus feature, doesn't work because of this thread.

I am a musician and creator .. I got this to share my own content on facebook .. I don't understand why social sharing is listed as a feature, and an option in the dashboard when it's not something you can actually do unless I'm missing something... I genuinely see no option to share anything on the front-end .. despite that option being enabled and the very key reason I spent the money on this and an SSL cert.

oneduality

Where is social sharing listed? I dont recall seeing that on the web site or anywhere on the server.

It's in the dashboard user settings... but it does have a caveat I was unaware of before buying.

Check the screenshot, I'm not sure if this is only a premier feature or not, but it's not useful to me. Besides, I don't even see share buttons anywhere.

it says.. 

Only web pages containing media information are shared. Media files are never shared publicly. Shares are time-limited and will expire after 30 days.

oneduality

Lol yes Kodi is taking heat for streaming content, Kodi is not even on the Amazon app store. The irony is that Kodi does not provide any media, its essentially a really good media player. Emby does not want to end up in a similar position by making it too easy to facilitate such things.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

They may be taking heat by being delisted from app stores but Kodi is quite a different beast.. madsonic/subsonic has allowed sharing MEDIA to Facebook and Twitter for years, I have used it quite a bit. They've not gotten any of she slack Kodi has gotten.. I don't think Emby would either.. Emby falls into being far more like *sonic than it does Kodi .. Kodi's big issue isn't social media sharing, it's the fact that there's so many piracy plugins available that allow you to stream pirated content to your tv or mobile device with ease.. there's apparently plugins that have torrent capabilities and all that jazz.

You technically COULD do some of what Kodi does with Emby now by adding web streams if you can find them, but it is far more difficult .. 

But Kodi's big issue was how easy it made it to pirate content.. One of my friends is a total newb and she still managed to set it up on her firestick to download and stream pirated films.. and that's why Kodi has a bad reputation.. The software makes it too easy to pirate.

I think if Emby allowed social sharing with a massive disclaimer then they would be fine.. but not even mad/subsonic do that and I'm unaware of them getting any heat..  Besides, I think the Kodi on app stores was the full blown Kodi .. the Emby app in the app stores is just a client, I don't think there's risk of that being removed since it is useless without the server component.

With all that said, I believe there's an API .. I suppose I could write my own code to share to social media with a special user account .. or I could even write code to simulate a browser to do it .. but it's a fair amount of work that shouldn't be necessary =) .. I would keep madsonic/subsonic running but I don't want to run two .. and I really dislike their UI that uses iframes.. blech.. 

Edited by oneduality

oneduality

My understanding of issues with Kodi was the illegal streaming of movies etc. I didnt think it doesnt allowed the sharing of local media?

Surely we could limit emby legal liability by allowing this for certain content only - such as livetv (ehich is already free to air) and home video collection etc?

Emby isn't legally liable for user's misusing their software.. neither is Kodi for that matter... the big hub bub about Kodi was related to people selling pre-configured set top boxes with Kodi already setup and ready to pirate content..  you used to be able to buy them all over.. the hammer came down and Kodi got the bad reputation.. Kodi is also FREE and Opensource... Emby is not, so it wouldn't be able to be abused in such a way, especially if it required a paid license to social sharing.

There are very legitimate use cases for such a thing.  I want to be able to stream my own content without uploading it elsewhere.. this includes music I've written and it also would include home movies I've digitized from VHS to share with family.. there's other ways to do it, but it's considerably easier to just have it in my already existing folder structure in a single place.. and as I mentioned before.. other software allows for it and has similar features, but I went with Emby for one reason.. I love the interface, and then I noticed the encoder is far superior.. the player is great too.. but it lacks the main feature that pushed me over the edge to buy it and that was the social sharing.. perhaps I should have done more research but I had limited time off from work and wanted to get it in place.. 

Emby isn't legally liable for user's misusing their software.. neither is Kodi for that matter... 

The app stores make their own policy and legality doesn't have to be the benchmark.  As you noted, Kodi wasn't legally liable but that didn't keep them in the store.

We simply cannot afford to take the risk.  The App store owners hold all the cards here and we have to play completely by their rules.

Thanks.

oneduality

The app stores make their own policy and legality doesn't have to be the benchmark.  As you noted, Kodi wasn't legally liable but that didn't keep them in the store.

We simply cannot afford to take the risk.  The App store owners hold all the cards here and we have to play completely by their rules.

Thanks.

I would point out that subsonic/madsonic apps have been in the appstore for years now.. and they allow social sharing.. Kodi is a different beast 

I sort of see your view, but the subsonic software and it's variants are one of the most popular and they have no problem at all .. I also have life memberships, the only issue I hate with them is the UI is terrible and the encoding isn't as good.. I think the risk is minimal at best for Emby, and if you did get removed, it's as easy as removing the feature and resubmitting.. I've been through the process as a developer myself, it's not nearly as complicated or risky as it's been made out to be in regards to appstores.. especially on the android side.

I was asked about my use cases.. not in this thread I don't believe, but I may as well go into it.. I've explained it before on here.. I'm a musician, independent from any label .. I don't charge money for my music at this time, my hope was to be able to use my own system and Emby to share my media to facebook, but only select people at first.. I have no desire for youtube because it's video focused, I dropped soundcloud long ago.. I was to self host and have full control.. I used to sell my music, I have thousands of followers.. I just wanted to keep control because I've learned how bad it is as an artist/creator to lose that control.. that is one aspect of my use case

The second is I also had hoped to use it to share a huge cache of home movies I digitized off VHS to a private family facebook group.. we have a large member base .. I again don't want it on youtube.. private or not.. I rather control my content.

All of this I thought I could do with Emby.. all of it I COULD do with everything else I've used but the UI in each case was bad or there was a lot of overhead even for my 8 core 4ghz system with 32gb of ram.. bandwidth isn't an issue.. 

Of them all Emby looks and performs the best, but it's the most restrictive of them all in terms of how I can use it..  and outside of Kodi which is cited often .. none of the others are experiencing problems or legal pressures, they've been around for a long time.. and when you search for media server software they show up ahead of Emby.. so they seem to have more focus and use .. yet they still don't have legality issues going on.. 

Kodi was famous and only got in trouble when the Kodi boxes came out, that is the key reason they got laser focus.. it made it easy for people to pirate without knowing anything about tech.. they could buy a set top box, plug it in and pirate without knowing anything at all..

All of this paranoia about appstores seems wildly unjustified and unrealistic.. and as I said, it's easy to fix if that happens.. you remove that feature, push an update.. re-submit the app .. done.. 

Edited by oneduality

kingy444

Really content could be shared on social media using a public user with no access except to a particular library right?

The main request of this thread was to share a particular file without authentication requirements for a set period. Meaning you could also provide someone access without needing to reorganise content.

In particular this request was to stream the rugby league state of origin to my father and being not tech savvy a one-click link was what I was trying to provide him.

While I can see the linkage to social media here, this was more about a temporary link that would expire after x time so it couldn’t be abused

In particular I don’t have my Emby exposed to the internet but allowing this particular stream through for a short time would have been fine by me

I know this feature has been mentioned a couple of times before some with positive reaction (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17250-share-link-in-web-client/) some with negative (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23482-temporary-file-sharing-link/)

What I am looking for is an easy way to temporarily share something with a friend or family member. Now I understand there can be some concern on copyright material - but at the end of the day there is no way for the EMBY admins to control that 100%, and there are both legitimate and illegal ways to use EMBY.

I sync my phone & my wifes phones etc to emby, and have LiveTV configured - so I have legitimate reasons to want to share media on a non-ongoing basis. The Home Photo/Video thing - if needed I have just downloaded the file and sent manually - but there have been a couple of occasions where my father or close friend could benefit from my libraries live tv capability but I cant share without creating an account.

I understand I can create accounts - but I don't want these people to access my library all the time.

To be completely honest - the people I want to share with aren't that computer literate (hence not using some other techniques for photos etc such as google photos) - I just want to provide a simple streaming link that they could stream by clicking the link.

As I said - can understand the illegitimate uses for this - but there are some legitimate ones too.

Any way we could have something like this implemented - even if its off by default and you need to enable it - accepting that the EMBY community are not responsible for the type of content you share in doing so?

Really useful for me to share a home video or live tv stream to a family member who is not technically minded. One-Click links ;)

I think the suggestion of a user with access to a single library is probably your best bet at this point. Audacity Find My iPhone Origin Edited by jojo220

All of this paranoia about appstores seems wildly unjustified and unrealistic.. and as I said, it's easy to fix if that happens.. you remove that feature, push an update.. re-submit the app .. done.. 

You can choose to believe that if you wish but I can tell you we have specific, personal experience that refutes that viewpoint :).  It isn't just the app stores either.  Every single business relationship we have (e.g. payment processors) ask the specific question of "do you allow file sharing" and, in today's security-strict environment, they basically shoot first and ask questions later.

So, knowing that it is not likely that the product will allow direct file sharing through social media, will the user with access to a library work for your use-case?  If not, then we will be happy to refund your purchase due to the confusion.

Thanks.

oneduality

I think the suggestion of a user with access to a single library is probably your best bet at this point.

The issue becomes client limit at this point.. if I have a new song, I share it with a public user account .. that client limit will get hit quickly, no?

The issue becomes client limit at this point.. if I have a new song, I share it with a public user account .. that client limit will get hit quickly, no?

That depends on which app is being used to access it.  If the web app, then, no, it shouldn't.

oneduality

You can choose to believe that if you wish but I can tell you we have specific, personal experience that refutes that viewpoint :).  It isn't just the app stores either.  Every single business relationship we have (e.g. payment processors) ask the specific question of "do you allow file sharing" and, in today's security-strict environment, they basically shoot first and ask questions later.

So, knowing that it is not likely that the product will allow direct file sharing through social media, will the user with access to a library work for your use-case?  If not, then we will be happy to refund your purchase due to the confusion.

Thanks.

Due to client limits, the obvious answer is no..  if my family consisted of just me and my fanbase was a few people at most.. it would be perfect.. but you knew the answer to this question would be no.

And I am an app developer, I'm looking at it from experience as well and also looking at it from other examples who are in the appstore.. your business relationships are the only really valid concern... you won't be booted from anything, but your relationships, whatever they might be.. may care about it.. payment processors generally don't care, paypal definitely does...  been in this business now since 1998 so I'm aware.. I know some are skiddish. . but I think use cases should be considered.

I know ways to skirt all of the limits, But I prefer to play fair.. I'm an honest artist who just wants to share my music and also share my family videos with my family group.. I'm quite sad that this software doesn't live up to that.. I'm not satisfied with the reasoning..  I know how this environment works.. you get warned before you get cut for most of these scenarios.. but it is what it is, I can't force you to at least try.. I can respect caution.. I just wish user experience was the priority.. if I were developing this I would be feature first.. then I would reverse when it was necessary... but you're not me.

oneduality

That depends on which app is being used to access it.  If the web app, then, no, it shouldn't.

It is the web app, not the app store app.. this could be useful information.. could a priority be made to clearing up once and for all how limits are established? I go back to the speed limit analogy... if I get pulled over for speeding but there's no signs.. how will I have known to avoid it? checking the dash for vague indication isn't very helpful.

I guess I could just try the public user idea and see how far my mileage goes... does it say anywhere what happens when you hit that limit? my assumption would be that it just means no more clients can view, but existing clients can

oneduality

Have you seen this?

Is there a limit to Premiere?

How does that not define clearly what devices will count?

It does help, but I was literally looking for this information, I was on a wiki page but it doesn't seem quite the same was that link.. I didn't see anything specific. And to be fair, others in these forums were also complaining about not knowing what counted.

Another issue at hand might be how information is made available.. you have to dive deep .. but this does help

I shared a public account that has access only to my music.. I didn't share it with fans for now, just my private fb account  to see what I can see over time.. I don't want to "release the hounds"

The only thing I see is that yes the link works, but it has no social sharing options, I had to copy and paste the link.. there's no album art or anything .. so it's not an "attractive" share.. but still works..  we'll see

I do appreciate your engaging me in this.

Edited by oneduality

Another issue at hand might be how information is made available.. you have to dive deep .. but this does help

Yes, I agree and we are currently working on making our Knowledge Base much more accessible and easy to find/use.

Thanks.