Are you still watching?

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

Is this something you can enable on the server per user? Wonder as I might be missing a setting. Or what was added to the Roku app? Just not sure what part of my statement you are referring to. Thanks for the reply!

The Roku app added runaway playback protection, in is on the client end and only applies to the Roku. If you have auto-playback enabled after so many episodes (3 I think) and a set amount of inactivity (130 minutes I think) you will be prompted to continue to play the next episode.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

This would be perfect if I could impose this on the server side per user/guest.

Thanks for the reply.

This is a possibility for the future but, until it is implemented in every single app, having this as a server-side user setting would only frustrate people :).

LedZeppelinWails

Cool that it is a possibility, like I said, I love that with Emby I get a ton more server admin options and why I'll probably be sinking into a lifetime license.

But as a side note, I have no problem frustrating guest who are viewing my library, sucking down my bandwidth. It's a small price they have to pay, otherwise they might get parental controls cutting them off at 12am...haha. Plus I don't want to have to say to them, "hey remember to enable this setting." I never was too worked up when I got this with Netflix, PlayStation Vue, Hulu.. but a little off topic and don't want to beat a dead horse. Thanks for the replies Jdiesel and ebr.

Edited by LedZeppelinWails
  • Like 1

But as a side note, I have no problem frustrating guest who are viewing my library, sucking down my bandwidth. It's a small price they have to pay, otherwise they might get parental controls cutting them off at 12am...haha. Plus I don't want to have to say to them, "hey remember to enable this setting." I never was too worked up when I got this with Netflix, PlayStation Vue, Hulu.. but a little off topic and don't want to beat a dead horse. Thanks for the replies Jdiesel and ebr.

The frustration to which I was referring is the fact that someone would turn it on in the server and then it wouldn't have any effect anywhere except the Roku app.  Then we'd have reports out here of it being "broken".  So, until the option is supported everywhere, it needs to live only where it is supported.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Jdiesel

Hopefully the Chromecast is the next app to get runaway playback settings as it is another app that can not be stopped from outside the local network. The criteria used for the Roku app seems to be just right, not intrusive but is still effective at stopping runaway playback.

• 2 months later...
Fratopolis

What about auto stop live TV after a certain period. My OTA tv sometimes goes forever until that person wakes up eating bandwidth.

• Like 1

Jdiesel

Should already be in place, at least for Roku and Android TV I get a prompt after about an hour and a half or no remote activity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
fizzyade

@@Luke can this be disabled, it’s one of the things I hate about the Netflix app, or at the very least configure the number of episodes (0=disabled would be nice!)

• 1 month later...
darkassassin07

I'm not seeing this option from within the web app on the latest public server build either.

Its there on the beta android client and the xbox one client, but not the web app for me at least.

Happy2Play

I'm not seeing this option from within the web app on the latest public server build either.

Its there on the beta android client and the xbox one client, but not the web app for me at least.

It is in beta 4.3 or app.emby.media (Emby Web 4.2.0.72).

• 4 weeks later...

This is now available in Emby Server 4.3. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement. Please try it out and feel free to create more feature request topics if you'd like us to expand on it. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
King Pin

Available on stable ET5db8cfcd135b4_stillwatching.jpg

This is now available in Emby Server 4.3. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement. Please try it out and feel free to create more feature request topics if you'd like us to expand on it. Thanks.

Do all 3 of those need to be checked for it to work? 

It worked for me the first night as Emby shut down after a couple of tv episodes played.  

But the past couple times it's been running all night? 

You only need to enable it in the app that you're playing from.

Remember that all forms of input need to be idle, which would include moving the mouse, pressing a key, etc.

miniliQuid

Do all 3 of those need to be checked for it to work? 

It worked for me the first night as Emby shut down after a couple of tv episodes played.  

But the past couple times it's been running all night? 

I would guess the second box isn't really needed.

I like reading what the next episode is about though (whenever the video allows it)

King Pin

You only need to enable it in the app that you're playing from.

Remember that all forms of input need to be idle, which would include moving the mouse, pressing a key, etc.

Ran all night and this morning again.  

I run this off my desktop and stream to chromecast in my bedroom.  

I wonder if maybe I shouldn't close the Emby tab and leave it active overnight.  

I usually close all programs before I go to bed at night so it's just my desktop which eventually goes into sleep mode.