Ryzen - Anybody built a machine yet?

PenkethBoy

PenkethBoy

Considering the purchase of a ryzen 7 chip m/b and ram in the near future

Anybody actually built one yet?

Or are you all hanging back to see somebody else have all the fun?

Jdiesel

Despite all the progress on HW acceleration I believe that software transcoding is still the way to go if visual quality, compatibility, and reliability are important to you. I don't have any experience with the Ryzen CPUs but in the little research that I've done they seem very well suited for multiple ffmpeg processes as one who expect to see with Emby. If I was building a new sever today with consumer hardware that is likely what I would be buying. You should build one and report back ;)

Edited by Jdiesel

PenkethBoy

Yes good point forgotten they do not have a gpu - not a problem as have a few old GPU's hanging around 

Yes my main reason is for Handbrake work on a large number of video's - my 6700k does ok but in theory the Ryzen could do twice as much and probably quicker

Was hoping somebody else could be the guinea pig  :P

Guest asrequested

I've got a console, so it won't be headless. I've actually been considering going full server. I just don't have the money, yet. Mainly for the sever motherboard possibilities. More PCIe ports. Would you believe I've never messed with Linux? I've thought about it.

PenkethBoy

My interest was rekindled after watching this youtube video  

- interesting that there is little between the three types and that memory speed has a part to play

Its a little outdated as the gaming performance has improved as bios updates have come through from AMD - but gaming is way down the list of priorities for me

The new AMD Threadripper parts should be stonking when they hit in a month or two - but are likely to have prices to match and i probably wont wait that long if i pull the trigger

PenkethBoy

I've got a console, so it won't be headless. I've actually been considering going full server. I just don't have the money, yet. Mainly for the sever motherboard possibilities. More PCIe ports. Would you believe I've never messed with Linux? I've thought about it.

if you want lots of pcie capacity then threadripper is the way to go as it has 128 pcie lanes - most non xeon chips only have ~16-20 IIRC - so  the new m/b's for TR should have x16 slots aplenty - but we will have to wait and see

clarkss12

Really a dumb question, but what is the purpose of a huge, expensive, power hungry server?  

What do you use them for?

How many clients do you server??

What media do you have stored on your server?

Do you have a backup of your data stored on your server?

Thanks.

Of course, on a personal nature, you may not want to answer, but HOW DO YOU FLOAT this by your significant other???

Jdiesel

In my case I like to archive bluray remuxs for my personal needs. I also have 4 family members that access my server remotely that only have 10mbps connections therefore whenever they stream transcoding is required. Some may have the option of having multiple versions of different quality available but since I rent a dedicated server store space is very costly. Therefore I need a server that can do a minimum of 4 1080p transcodes with sufficient overhead for a few more if needed.

I backup my media to Amazon Drive, about 20TB worth, but since they are getting rid of the unlimited plan I need to look elsewhere.

It is more of a hobby than anything so I treat the expenses as a hobby. It helps when you don't have any children too.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Lol - no other for me - so just have to give myself a good talking too!  :D

Purpose is to play/learn/utilise for other stuff/ pose :)

This ryzen would not be a Emby server as it would be overkill  - my Skull Canyon NUC has more than enough power to serve several clients even with only one NIC - if i need more then my Data server with 10G nics could be another option but am nowhere near that.

My media (TV series and Films) is about 20TB at the moment - I have one copy on my NAS and a duplicate copy (x2) on my data main server - i also have a single disc copy (besides the dvd-bluray discs) on my data server should i need to re rip a film etc - dont need to do this but have the space

I have my personal stuff/computer code/software images of stuff i have bought or want older copies of etc/ 500k+ of photos/work data/ several VM's etc etc - which comes to several additional TB - duplicated (x2) and duplicated again (x2) across two drivepool pools

The volume is too large for cloud backup - but if the server fails i can just pull the drives and read in another pc

Even after all that i still have 30TB+ of space left  :o

• Like 1

Diedrich

Yes my main reason is for Handbrake work on a large number of video's - my 6700k does ok but in theory the Ryzen could do twice as much and probably quicker

Was hoping somebody else could be the guinea pig :P

The best in the business have:

https://youtu.be/sjzzdkUvKhk

The 1700 or 1700X will smoke the 6700K.

Guest asrequested

Really a dumb question, but what is the purpose of a huge, expensive, power hungry server?  

What do you use them for?

How many clients do you server??

What media do you have stored on your server?

Do you have a backup of your data stored on your server?

Thanks.

Of course, on a personal nature, you may not want to answer, but HOW DO YOU FLOAT this by your significant other???

Because it's FUN! :D And because I can never get enough stuff :D

Oh, and I have nobody to ask permission from :D

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

The best in the business have:

The 1700 or 1700X will smoke the 6700K.

So it would be better in the server but terrible in an HTPC, because there's no GPU. In this video, he is using a pretty good GPU card. Hmmmm.....I was thinking of using it in the server, anyway. Damn it! I've got a new itch to scratch!

Diedrich

So it would be better in the server but terrible in an HTPC, because there's no GPU. In this video, he is using a pretty good GPU card. Hmmmm.....I was thinking of using it in the server, anyway. Damn it! I've got a new itch to scratch!

Yeah, I was pointing out to PenkethBoy that it's a beast in multi-threaded programs. As for a HTPC setup; correct, you'd need a GPU like the GTX1050 that has HDMI 2.1 for all your 4K 60Hz viewing pleasure.

$100 USD

EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 GAMING, 02G-P4-6150-KR, 2GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-487-295

Edited by Diedrich

Guest asrequested

I've got an i7 7700k in my HTPC. I'm waiting for Gen 8. It wiil have HDMI 2.0 support, then I can reconfigure my cabling back to how I had it. But the 1700X for my server is definitely on my mind, now.

Diedrich

I've got an i7 7700k in my HTPC. I'm waiting for Gen 8. It wiil have HDMI 2.0 support, then I can reconfigure my cabling back to how I had it. But the 1700X for my server is definitely on my mind, now.

I run a FreeNAS box as a file server and would one day like to switch to the Ryzen line if the FN project ever supports them.

My HTPC is a AMD A6-5400K. [emoji50]

Edited by Diedrich

PenkethBoy

So far it seems that most have an eye on the ryzen but nobodies actually splashed any moola on one  :D

chef

I've watched quite a bit about ryzen 7 and the Intel x299 series chips and motherboards that are on the market or coming out.

The choice between Intel x299 and ryzen would definitely have to be ryzen. Intel seemed to push out x299 a little to quickly, and it is really expensive. Almost as if they got a little scared about ryzen 7 and scrambled to get something out.

There is one hell of a lot of cores in ryzen 7 chips.

Are they LGA?

Diedrich

There is one hell of a lot of cores in ryzen 7 chips.

Are they LGA?

PGA for the 7 series and below and LGA for the Naples and SoC server parts.

dcrdev

PGA for the 7 series and below and LGA for the Naples and SoC server parts.

Are they releasing Ryzen based SoCs ?

I've been waiting for Epyc in the hopes that they will have a few low power variants.