How to stop Collections from being made.

Smitty018210
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Smitty018210

Hey I was wondering if there is a way to either hide collections made by the auto collections plugin, or to stop collections from being formed in the first place. There are a couple of collection that plugin creates that I do not want. Every time I run the plugin the collections are created and I have to go and delete them, It's kinda of annoying. Thanks for the help guys.

Happy2Play

Remove the collectionid per movie (in Metadata Manager or Edit Info) and the plugin will not make them.  Since the plugin generate the collections off that id. 

Note Refreshing libraries can replace metadata depending on what option you choose.

Smitty018210

Remove the collectionid per movie (in Metadata Manager or Edit Info) and the plugin will not make them.  Since the plugin generate the collections off that id.

Note Refreshing libraries can replace metadata depending on what option you choose.

Yeah tired all of that, thanks. What need is for those collections to stop being created. I've tired editing the .xml manually, locking the the .xml Making edits in the metadata Manager dose nothing. Nothing I've tired has worked. As soon as the a library refresh scan takes place the collections are created again. I would like that to stop.

Edited by Smitty018210

There currently isn't a setting for this. You probably just want to uninstall the plugin and manage your collections manually from here on out.

• Like 1

Smitty018210

There currently isn't a setting for this. You probably just want to uninstall the plugin and manage your collections manually from here on out.

Oh that really sucks. There needs to be a way to do that. Guess I will have to keep these stupid things. Thanks anyway Luke.

Edited by Smitty018210

Smitty018210

@@Luke is there a way for me to hide or ignore the folder in the collection data folder. Like with .ignore file. Or dose that not work anymore.

Happy2Play

Yeah tired all of that, thanks. What need is for those collections to stop being created. I've tired editing the .xml manually, locking the the .xml Making edits in the metadata Manager dose nothing. Nothing I've tired has worked. As soon as the a library refresh scan takes place the collections are created again. I would like that to stop.

Emby can not edit xml files only read them, you can't lock a xml file either.   Which xml are you editing?

I will do some testing to verify the method I mentioned above works or not.

You say "as the a library refresh scan takes place" are you referring to a normal library scan?  Or a actual Refresh?

You have to ensure you have delete the pervious collection also.

Edited by Happy2Play

Vidman

This works for me. with the added step that after removing the collection ID I "lock this item to prevent further changes"

Smitty018210

Emby can not edit xml files only read them, you can't lock a xml file either.   Which xml are you editing?

I will do some testing to verify the method I mentioned above works or not.

You say "as the a library refresh scan takes place" are you referring to a normal library scan?  Or a actual Refresh?

You have to ensure you have delete the pervious collection also.

I'm not editing the .xml with Emby. Doing anything with the server its self dose nothing at all. I gave up on trying to do anything with the server a while ago. The xml files are store locally in the data/collection folder. Yes you can lock a xml file. Using the "LockData" tag in a xml file. As for refresh, yes I was taking about a library scan. Weather a manual, schedule or when I restart the server. I've even tired making the xml file read only and Emby still over writes it.

Edited by Smitty018210

Smitty018210

This works for me. with the added step that after removing the collection ID I "lock this item to prevent further changes"

Tired this many many many times. It's never worked. After a lirary scan the collection returns, every time. Thanks though.

• Solution
Happy2Play

I'm not editing the .xml with Emby. Doing anything with the server it's self dose nothing at all. I gave up on trying to do anything with the server a while ago. The xml files are store locally in the data/ collection folder. Yes you can lock an xml file. Using the "LockData" tag in a xml file. As for refresh, yes I was taking about a library scan. Weather a manual, schedule or when I restart the server. 

That is your problem, I said the movies not the collection it self.  You should delete the collection completely from data folder.

• Like 1

Smitty018210

That is your problem, I said the movies not the collection it self.  You should delete the collection completely from data folder.

Ok I see I did understand the first time. I'll give that a try. How ever if I do that then Emby would not be able to update metadata for the movie ever again. Seems like a drastic step to solve this problem. Thanks @@Happy2Play! I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

Edit: I see the collection ID now! Cool! Guys thanks for the help!!!! That has been driving me nuts for a year or more lol.

Edited by Smitty018210

Happy2Play

Ok I see I did understand the first time. I'll give that a try. How ever if I do that then Emby would not be able to update metadata for the movie ever again. Seems like a drastic step to solve this problem. Thanks @@Happy2Play! I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

Correct, so a feature request would be the ability to lock that specific field like the others listed.  For now you would have to lock all the metadata.  The only thing that will ever change is the vote/community rating.

Happy2Play

the .ignore approach seems like the best option.

But wouldn't that hide the collection and the movies you have them grouped into collections?

Edited by Happy2Play

Smitty018210

Tired this. It didn't work. Not sure why.

I have been bagging my head into a wall trying to figure this out for awhile. I don't like the idea of having to lock all the metadata like that, but as a fix I guess I will have to live with it. Maybe we call have the plug list all the collections in the dashboard somewhere and have an option to hide ones we don't need or want.

Edited by Smitty018210

Happy2Play

Just did also and got the same results.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

DarWun

I have been bagging my head into a wall trying to figure this out for awhile. I don't like the idea of having to lock all the metadata like that, but as a fix I guess I will have to live with it. Maybe we call have the plug list all the collections in the dashboard somewhere and have an option to hide ones we don't need or want.

I've of found away around this that works for me...ymmv.  In the Auto Box Sets plugin, I set value for "Create BoxSets only if I have at least this many of its movies" as 2.  I then refresh the boxsets.  After Emby finishes creating the collections based on the movies in my library, I change the value from 2 to 10 and manually delete the unwanted collections from the Emby server /data/collections/ folder.  The unwanted collections aren't recreated at the next library scan.  This isn't perfect because I have to redo it every time I add new movies to my library that I want to group as a collection.  But this doesn't happen very frequently so I can live with it. 

• 1 month later...
drikosv8
Folks,

I need help, because I did not find anything about it in the forum.

All common users without administrator privileges are creating collections the way they want, and this has hampered the organization of the media in the emby.

Only administrators should have access to create a collection. How do I block this change for ordinary users?

Pessoal,

Preciso de ajuda, pois não achei nada a respeito no forum.

Todos os usuarios comuns, sem privilegios de administrador estão criando coletaneas da maneira que querem, e isso tem prejudicado a organização das midias no emby.

Somente administradores deveriam ter acesso a criar uma coletânea. Como faço para bloquear essa alteração para usuarios comum?

Happy2Play

Folks,

I need help, because I did not find anything about it in the forum.

All common users without administrator privileges are creating collections the way they want, and this has hampered the organization of the media in the emby.

Only administrators should have access to create a collection. How do I block this change for ordinary users?

Pessoal,

Preciso de ajuda, pois não achei nada a respeito no forum.

Todos os usuarios comuns, sem privilegios de administrador estão criando coletaneas da maneira que querem, e isso tem prejudicado a organização das midias no emby.

Somente administradores deveriam ter acesso a criar uma coletânea. Como faço para bloquear essa alteração para usuarios comum?

Currently there is no option available to stop the creation of collections by users.

drikosv8
The common user making changes that affect all users without the administrator being able to control this is a problem.

What is the possibility of blocking this in the future?

O usuario comum por fazer alterações que afetam todos os usuarios sem que o administrador possa controlar isso é um problema.

Qual a possibilidade de bloquear isso no futuro?

• 4 years later...
On 7/3/2017 at 1:05 AM, Luke said:

@Luke

What plugin? Collections just started appearing in my library. It's driving me crazy, I can't remove them. The AutoBoxSets plugin is not, and has never been, installed.

Edited by luser

Happy2Play
21 minutes ago, luser said:

@Luke

What plugin? Collections just started appearing in my library. It's driving me crazy, I can't remove them. The AutoBoxSets plugin is not, and has never been, installed.

Sorry that is a post from 2017 when the AutoBoxSets was used.

Now it is a per library setting and item metadata driven.  So if you have verified the "Import collection information from metadata downloaders" option is disabled per library and Collections are still being made, that means your item metadata contains the <set> node and you have to remove/clear that node in order for a Collection to not be made for that item.

There is another topic about the <set> node not being cleared when removing from Collection or Deleting Collection.

• Agree 1