Questions via thegreenbutton.tv

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

Might make an account there later...

My CPU uses about 60% power transcoding to the Roku. Almost all of my content is in MKV containers with h.264 video and various audio and subtitle tracks embedded in the container. Transcoding time usually lasts for 30% or less of the video time. I have the server set to Auto for its Transcoding settings. Temperature never goes over 50 C.

I am using an Intel Quad-Core i5 2500K (Sandy Bridge generation) with currently 8 GB of RAM (I know that is low these days). 

We watch pretty much all content with subtitles on and don't have a problem selecting subtitles or viewing them on the Roku, Media Browser Theater or Media Browser Classic. I don't know about extenders as I don't use that technology. We only have one television in the house and it is connected to the Roku. The six computers in the house have Theater installed for primary watching. I only have Classic installed on my computer currently as something to play with now and then. I don't really use it regularly as I prefer the simpler interface of Theater.

For video, the Roku does a decent job of upscaling the video to the resolution of the television. Whether it is recorded SD, DVD or Bluray. My television is several years old though. Vizio 1080p, LED backlit LCD. If we get more televisions for the bedrooms, I'd put Rokus on them instead of messing with HTPCs in each room.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 1

Also mention that this is a very important topic for us, and with each release we are looking to continue to improve cpu utilization to make it more efficient. @@Tikuf is going great work on that. So it's something we're always going to be striving to improve.

• Like 1

Latchmor

Thanks guys, I have directed him to this post so hopefully he'll pop over when he's online!

I also see @@newfiend lurking here... Hi, I'm duncane at TGB  ;)

Edited by Latchmor
  • Like 1

barnabas1969

Hi folks,

This is my first time posting here.  I'm the one who posted the questions over at TGB.tv.  I'm primarily interested in MB3 playback in MB Classic, inside Media Center.  Can I get soft subs in MBC on an extender (Xbox360)?

If it also works on a Roku, that would be a bonus, but I'm primarily interested in the Media Center plugin.

• Like 1

I am hoping for soft subs on the roku soon. Right now we hard sub (burn in) which takes a little more horse power. 

• Like 2

Latchmor

Hi @@barnabas1969 hope you don't mind me introducing you on here! You'll get all the help you need though. I actually posted this in the Roku section but @@ebr or some extender users will no doubt chime in soon...

Cheers

newfiend

Thanks guys, I have directed him to this post so hopefully he'll pop over when he's online!

I also see @@newfiend lurking here... Hi, I'm duncane at TGB  ;)

Hey Duncane.. how are you doing?? Glad to see you here as well. :)

Latchmor

Hi, I keep an eye on the forums at thegreenbutton and spotted this post by barnabas1969

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?p=70828

He has questions on SRT Subtitles and Rokus that I can't really answer. If someone wants to answer here I'll post over there. Or if you have a TGB account you could post direct.

He's keen to use MB if he can get certain things working for him. Lets see if we can get him on-board!

Cheers

barnabas1969

OK, now I'm confused.  I posted in a separate thread about MBC (here) regarding soft subtitles on an XBox extender.  However, now that I've been perusing this site, I see people talk about subtitles on the Roku.  One even mentioned PGS subtitles, which seems ideal to me.

So, is it, or is it not possible to have soft subs on the Roku Media Browser channel?

lol, I have no idea what a soft sub is, heck I never even know how to get makemkv to just include those foreign language parts, so someone with actual knowledge of subtitles will have to answer.

Assuming the server supports that type of subtitles, it can be displayed in the Roku. Though note it will transcode with subtitles because we currently burn them into the video.

Not without stopping the video and restarting it (resuming it from the last position). Eventually plan is to support external subs directly so that you can use the brand new closed captioning stuff roku just introduced in the last software release.

Koleckai Silvestri

"Soft" subs just means that you can turn them on and off with a remote control.  Can this be done on the Roku?

Partially...

I can select closed captions on a per item basis when I start the movie or episode. 

If I click the * button on the remote while playing the item, it should allow me to select closed captions but says "No channels defined". However I only have one channel of closed captions usually and select it before starting the item. So I don't know if it is my media or the app.

If I click the * button on the remote while playing the item, it should allow me to select closed captions but says "No channels defined". However I only have one channel of closed captions usually and select it before starting the item. So I don't know if it is my media or the app.

That is a brand new feature Roku just added with last software release. It requires you to load up subtitles externally (basically you give a url to both the video and the subtitle). We currently burn them into the stream since up until a month ago that was basically the way to do it on the Roku and other devices accessing a transcoded video and to ensure it always worked. Like I said, the plan is to add that support, but I'm not sure how it will work with internal subs (those inside the same mkv).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
gcw07

That explains why this happens to me when I use the Amazon Prime video channel on the Roku.  I can only select subtitles before I start playback, but not from within the show.  Oddly, the Netflix channel allows me to turn subs on/off while I'm watching.

Yeah, Netflix actually doesn't use the standard development environment like everybody else. They have direct access with the Roku people to get to a lower level part of the code so they can do things we can't.

barnabas1969

Partially...

I can select closed captions on a per item basis when I start the movie or episode. 

That is a brand new feature Roku just added with last software release. It requires you to load up subtitles externally (basically you give a url to both the video and the subtitle). We currently burn them into the stream since up until a month ago that was basically the way to do it on the Roku and other devices accessing a transcoded video and to ensure it always worked. Like I said, the plan is to add that support, but I'm not sure how it will work with internal subs (those inside the same mkv).

That explains why this happens to me when I use the Amazon Prime video channel on the Roku.  I can only select subtitles before I start playback, but not from within the show.  Oddly, the Netflix channel allows me to turn subs on/off while I'm watching.

gcw07

Does anyone know if this new update went out to all Rokus, like the Roku2

Sent from my generic not my computer device.

What new update? The MB channel? If that is what your asking about then yes it went out to everybody on the beta channel. That is not the same as the store one. We push to the beta channel first to make sure everything is working and then submit it to the store for review. We are also waiting on a server release to happen to push it to store to make the jump into letter feature work properly, so we have to wait until that is released for a store push.

If you meant something else, let me know.

I was referring to this:

Does anyone know if this new update went out to all Rokus, like the Roku2