[FR] - Active Recordings section in all apps

maegibbons

maegibbons

Talking about consistency.... need to get Active recordings section in all apps!

(just a reminder)

Krs

Mark

• 5 months later...

Talking about consistency.... need to get Active recordings section in all apps!

(just a reminder)

Krs

Mark

@@maegibbons, question. Assuming the following conditions are true, do you think Active Recordings can just be blended into "On Now"?

• The programs have a red timer icon
  • The programs have a red progress bar, further helping them stand out as an active recording
  • Default location of On Now (before user customization), is in a prominent place on the home screen

Where does WMC put active recordings? @@Latchmor or @ do you have a screenshot handy?

Spaceboy

@@maegibbons, question. Assuming the following conditions are true, do you think Active Recordings can just be blended into "On Now"?

• The programs have a red progress bar, further helping them stand out as an active recording
  • Default location of On Now (before user customization), is in a prominent place on the home screen
Where does WMC put active recordings? @@Latchmor or @ do you have a screenshot handy?
In wmc they just appeared in the recordings library, displayed no different from complete recordings, because they are the same. There was no separate row for them on the home screen.

I said from the beginning that I didn't think active recordings should get a separate row, they should just slot into the recordings row as the most recent recording.

To put them in on now would be wrong imo as if the user has channel favourites then it's likely / possible that not all active recordings will be seen

Well it's not wrong in On Now if they are actually on right now. They would be there anyway even if they weren't recording.

Latchmor

Where does WMC put active recordings?

Here you go Luke. Same place as previously recorded but with Red dot. Ignore the missing thumbnails, I sometimes get this and a reboot sorts them out.

595422be0c7ca_Capture.png

Spaceboy

Well it's not wrong in On Now if they are actually on right now. They would be there anyway even if they weren't recording.

It would but that takes you to a live program view not the active recording program view where you can play from the beginning.

If you are asking if play from start should be added as an option for all on now items that are actively recording then yes I would agree.

But primarily they should be in the recordings row as per wmc

• Like 1

maegibbons

Sorry been away...

I personally like the seperate Active recordings section BUT I know others do not!!!! it certainly would not be a deal breaker for me if it was merged with On Now with red progress bar and recording icon.

Probably would make a lot of sense.

Krs

Mark

Sorry been away...

I personally like the seperate Active recordings section BUT I know others do not!!!! it certainly would not be a deal breaker for me if it was merged with On Now with red progress bar and recording icon.

Probably would make a lot of sense.

Krs

Mark

They will be in "On Now" by virtue of being on right now but they should actually show up in the "Latest Recordings" row as well (as the first items since they are the newest).

Spaceboy

They will be in "On Now" by virtue of being on right now but they should actually show up in the "Latest Recordings" row as well (as the first items since they are the newest).

i think this is a great improvement, but isnt it overkill now to still have an active recordings row?

i was also wondering what @@maegibbons driver was for wanting a separate active recordings row? one of the most common unanswered requests i can remember over the last year or so is to have an active recording indicator in the dashboard. there was a new one last night. i absolutely agree this needs implementing and i wonder if this better answers the demand for active recordings to be highlighted in the app?

maegibbons

Hi

For me it is common to watch active recordings and hence navigation to that row was just super easy.  Thats it.

I am sure i'll be just fine when/if it goes.

Krs

Mark

p.s With regards to the Dashboard, I would like to see what each HDhomerun tuner is tuned to.

• Like 1

i think this is a great improvement, but isnt it overkill now to still have an active recordings row?

There wouldn't be an active recordings row.  The active recordings would just be the first ones in the "Latest Recordings" row.

• Like 2

Spaceboy

There wouldn't be an active recordings row. The active recordings would just be the first ones in the "Latest Recordings" row.

not sure if I'm being impatient or not understanding, but it's still there

not sure if I'm being impatient or not understanding, but it's still there

It is going to take a bit of time for these changes to make their way around.

• Like 1

blade005

There wouldn't be an active recordings row.  The active recordings would just be the first ones in the "Latest Recordings" row.

@@ebr @@Luke

I would be okay with ACTIVE RECORDINGS section going away ONLY if ACTIVE RECORDINGS becomes an addition to the Dashboard UI and prominently placed. I made this FR request in the past.

The biggest issue is that you can navigate to the Dashboard and restart the server without any warning that Active Recordings will be affected. This is something that you couldn't do with WMC unless you restarted the PC, and even then you would get an ACTIVE TASK warning that would highlight that WMC was running before you could restart the system and kill any recordings. The only way to manage that currently with Emby is for me to place the ACTIVE RECORDINGS row at the top of my Home Screen to remind me before I go to the Dashboard and attempt any tasks that could affect them.

I guess there are two issues to be addressed.

1. Where best to place Active Recordings for general information and easy access for Watch Now users.
  2. Where best to place Active Recordings as system information for ADMIN users to best manage the server and not affect active recordings due to maintenance activity.
  • Like 1

Yes, I believe having active recordings as a part of the dashboard display is also planned in conjunction with this.

A warning on re-start is a good idea as well.

• Like 1