Question about mpv scripts

srolomc

Guest asrequested

If you want to use Madvr, I'd suggest using the current version of Theater. I think you reported that it was playing ok? The true test will be using the mpv stand alone, or configuring your own system directshow filters, and test.

Guest asrequested

Because that's not implemented at this point. We have hooked the stats feature into MPV to draw data directly from MPV. We have not taken the time to do the same for madvr as of right now.

Are you replacing the MadVR stats with Emby stats? I'd highly advise against that. It provides much more information. You'll have some major complaints.

Edited by Doofus

I would think you could use the madvr tray icon to toggle stats, no? 

Guest asrequested

I would think you could use the madvr tray icon to toggle stats, no? 

No. Don't fix what isn't broken. Trust me! :)

It's just because we might happen to be using the same keyboard shortcut. Perhaps you can configure madvr to use a different shortcut, or toggle stats using the madvr control panel.

Guest asrequested

It's just because we might happen to be using the same keyboard shortcut. Perhaps you can configure madvr to use a different shortcut, or toggle stats using the madvr control panel.

MadVR can be edited to a different shortcut, but then you'll have a bunch of people complaining about having to do that. I'd suggest using ctrl+s for stats for nerds. S for stats, obviously.

srolomc

Well let me just take a step back here, the whole thing that prompted my testing was that I finally upgraded from 2.5.40 to the latest version (I was away for a while), and I noticed stuttering.  I believe I did update my drivers at some point as well. So I went back to the old version of Emby theater (2.5.40) just to try to get a baseline again with what I thought was my last working configuration before moving forward.  I have been seeing worse performance with live TV, and with the latest Emby version, but I cannot watch live tv with madvr in that version, so that is another reason I went back to the old version - so I could test live tv with madvr.  I expected that in the old version I would be able to have the old madvr stats display, and I was just confused as to why it was not there, unless this somehow is something that changed on the server side?

So to your question about madvr working before - I did seem to get a configuration where that one video I was trying looked ok with either mpv or madvr (this is after watching it for about 5 minutes), but then I tried live tv and that looked worse.  Since I cannot test madvr with live tv on the new version, I went back to the old one as a baseline.  The next thing I am going to try since I reinstalled Windows is going back to a much older version of the graphics driver and just see what happens. So again, I just wanted to see the old madvr stats in this version just to see if it recorded dropped frames.

srolomc

By the way I did just remap the key for now, so I can see the stats, and I am dropping some frames here and there (although less than I was with the new version of Emby according to the stats display).  This was a good test as it's with what I thought was working a while back, so maybe it's a new driver issue?

Guest asrequested

It's a conundrum. I would prove whether or not you have this problem in your system, first. Test with the mpv standalone, and test with directshow on your system, with windows media player, or something. I think you need to establish a baseline.

srolomc

Yes, I have been trying to get that baseline, I saw issues with mpv, and I forgot to mention with vlc as well, so that's why I'm going to try an old driver now and retest those things with a different driver.

Guest asrequested

Yes, I have been trying to get that baseline, I saw issues with mpv, and I forgot to mention with vlc as well, so that's why I'm going to try an old driver now and retest those things with a different driver.

Ah! Well, if you're having issues in VLC.... Maybe take a look at any recent windows updates? I don't recall if you ever tested with your GPU refresh at 59Hz? I know I suggested it...

It seems like nvidia is becoming the problem child among video card vendors. I just see a number of issues affecting lots of different software packages. Look at this one for example, filed against electron, which affects Emby Theater for some users:

https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/4380

You probably have seen that issue mentioned in our forums. In turn it affects all apps that embed Chromium, including yes, Google Chrome. How did google solve the problem for Chrome? They didn't, they just decided they didn't want to deal with it anymore and disabled use of the gpu for these graphics cards.

Guest asrequested

When you took the Nvidia card out, how did you configure you cabling? HDMI? And did you make sure that the iGPU was enabled in your BIOS?

one other difference is the old version 2.5.40 also had an older madvr version, so because of that it's not really a direct comparison anymore.

srolomc

Thanks for the info Luke; I did see some people report issues with my particular video card, but mostly related to gameplay and not video when I had initially looked.  And I agree about the direct comparison with madvr version, although I can just download the version the new one uses.  Do you know which one that is?  It looks like that bug report may affect other video cards too, but it definitely looks like Nvidia is a problem for sure which is a shame.

Doofus, I had tried 59 hz a while back and it did not help with the setup at the time, but I just tried it again and it looks like I am actually seeing an improvement this time; this is with Emby 2.5.40 right now.  I will continue testing this again with mpv and then the latest Emby when I get a chance; I prefer to just change one thing at a time when doing this.  I'm not sure why this didn't help last time, but it looks promising this time. Also, what would that iGPU setting do?  From what I understand if it is enabled it will just not turn off the integrated graphics while I have the Nvidia card installed, is that correct? And I am connected to the TV through HDMI.

srolomc

Well literally right after I hit reply I saw some frames drop, but overall 59 hz does at least seem a little better this time around, it still does not completely fix the issue though.

Guest asrequested

The iGPU (Intel integrated GPU), can be disabled, but it sounds like yours isn't. To activate it for playback, an HDMI needs to be attached to your motherboard. I was just wondering if you were to test again, using that GPU, if you'd see improvement. Which CPU/GPU do you have, by the way?

srolomc

Also the way I tested the Intel gpu last time was that I literally removed the Nvidia card and uninstalled all the drivers for it, then connected the HDMI cable to the motherboard. I wanted to try running it cleanly, even though I don't think the Nvidia drivers would conflict with it. And the igpu setting is disabled in my bios currently.