Question about mpv scripts

srolomc

srolomc

I finally started playing around with MPV; I wanted to add a script that I could use to toggle displaying stats.  I tried adding it to the following two locations:

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\mpv\scripts

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv\scripts

But it does not seem to work when I watch a video through Emby theater:  If I use C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv\mpv.exe, that instance of MPV does recognize the script that I added and it works just fine, so I am a little confused as to why this does not work when watching a video through Emby. I also wanted to try using my own mpv.conf file at some point, but I can't really tell if it is being used or not.  Does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem might be?  Thanks!

theater-63634527537.txt

Edited by srolomc

At this point we have not documented any process for custom scripts so we don't really have an answer about this. It's something you'll probably just have to keep hacking at to figure it out.

Guest asrequested

I have my own conf, and it works well. Depending on what you put in it, the settings in the UI will override them. What are you putting in your conf? What stats script are you using? Theater is getting it's own stats. You can test it out, here.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/page-1

Edited by Doofus

srolomc

I had found a stats script a while back that allows you to toggle displaying video stats with a key press. I have not tried a custom conf file yet because I wanted to be able to view stats to make sure that what I had in my conf was being applied. I can try the test build out and see if that helps, but I was hoping to be able to use scripts in the future to create different video profiles and things like that as well.

Doofus, where did you place your conf file?

Guest asrequested

There is a modified stats.lua that works, but can't be toggled in Theater. The keyboard shortcuts aren't enabled. You can see if your conf works by enabling logging in the conf. My conf is in 

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\mpv

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Here's the mpv logging info. You'll need the full path, including the log file. I just called mine log.txt

5958298785cdd_Snapshot_34.jpg

srolomc

I updated to Emby theater version 2.8.1 which has the stats display.  One thing I notice on a particular video (the original framerate is 30 fps) is that I notice a quite bit of stuttering; however, the stats consistently displays 0 dropped frames.  I've tried this with minimal video configuration settings through Emby as well as some higher quality settings.  I have tried this both with and without my own config file, and I have also tried running mpv through Emby as well as standalone, and I see the same issue in all cases.  Also, I tried this with and without the autospeedwin script, and I see the same results either way.  One strange thing I did notice in the display statistics it shows "Display sync active: false" even though I have that option enabled in Emby theater.  It also shows that the Display fps is 60 even though autospeedwin is changing it to 30 (I confirmed it actually is changing by checking the monitor refresh rate in the Nvidia control panel).

The only thing I have to compare against this is the old Emby version 2.5.40 or running in MPC-HC, neither of which have this stuttering problem, so I am at a bit of a loss as to why this is happening.  If anyone has seen this before and could help that would be great.  Also if this is the wrong thread to post in I can post it somewhere else.  Thanks!

Guest asrequested

Try running with no scripts, HWA at Auto (copyback), and everything else at default with no mpv.conf. Did you enable logging?

srolomc

That does seem a bit better, there is much less stuttering although I notice it every now and then; I had already tried it without any scripts and a config file, but this time I just put logging and hardware auto copy-back in that file; no scripts are running.  My ultimate goal here is to try to get quality at least closer to what I had before with madVR, it does not have to the same, just good enough. I'll attach that log file here.

log.txt

Edited by srolomc

Guest asrequested

MadVR is available in the new Theater. I'm not seeing anything wrong in the log. I see you are playing an MPEG2 file. I wouldn't have thought that would be problem, but maybe... Did you choose audio settings? If so, can you post a screenshot? Also, try playing with MadVR and see if you have the same issue?

srolomc

Playing with MadVR seems fine to my eyes, I don't notice any issues when using it through Emby.  I have attached a screenshot of my audio settings in Emby.

post-32402-0-19761200-1499034545_thumb.jpg

Guest asrequested

If you look at the video page in a browser, at the bottom it will give the details. Can you post a screenshot of that?

srolomc

Right now it is set to 60 hz.  Also, when I was using the script to change the refresh rate it would set it to 30 hz.

Guest asrequested

Right now it is set to 60 hz.  Also, when I was using the script to change the refresh rate it would set it to 30 hz.

The script has proven to be problematic. For now, if you want switching, use MadVR. 

I'm not sure if this will help, but it'll be good to test. Set your GPU to 59Hz. 

srolomc

Fair enough, I will try 59 hz a little later tonight. Are you able to run with interpolation on? When I tried it earlier today Emby failed to load any video, it would just sit spinning and I would have to kill Emby theater to get out of it.

Guest asrequested

Try a clean install. Completely remove and reinstall.  It's staring to sound like general glitchiness.

srolomc

Actually the interpolation issue prompted me to do a reinstall earlier today, I even wiped out all of the old config data and everything else during the uninstall. Even after that I could not use the interpolation setting after I installed a clean version. I just tried it again and I still can't use it. I'll add my latest log to this post.

theater-63634623640.txt

Edited by srolomc

Guest asrequested

And if you want to instantly test. Add this to your scripts folder and play the file in the standalone. Remove the .txt .When playing, press shift+i

srolomc

If I turn interpolation on in Emby that is when it hangs and never loads the video. It also never creates an MPV log file even though I added one to the config, so it sounds like mpv is never getting started. If I turn interpolation on in the config file the movie does play in Emby, although Im not 100% sure if it's actually enabled or not. If I run it standalone with your script and interpolation on, it does say enabled in the stats.

Guest asrequested

I think we need to get Luke involved. There seems to be some kind of conflict, if it won't play with it enabled. Your GPU drivers are up to date, I'm assuming?