Trouble connecting to server using app (but can access via browser)

mikeinbelize

mikeinbelize

Hi Guys,

Got a bit of a problem with the app and I can't quite figure out what is going on.

Firstly, what I've done and what works: I've forwarded the appropriate ports in my router settings (8096 and 8945)  to my server. If I am on my LAN I can access MB via my main PC or my phone (both the app and chrome browser). I can use either the local IP (192.168.X.X), 'name' (not sure what the correct term is, but for example, in my case, if I were to type it into windows browser, it'd be \\SERVER), my proper IP or my NO-IP address to access it. 

I can also connect to my server using 3G connection on my phone (both app and browser, using my real IP or NO-IP address).

However, here is the problem (finally!): if I connect to another wifi, I can no longer access my server via the app. I can access it via chrome and I can stream content (the streaming is a bit hit and miss, but I suspect that's the strength of the wifi at fault).

I cannot figure out what is going on here. Anyone got any idea?

Thanks,

Mike

Vidman

I'm guessing the other WiFi you are trying to connect thru has some kind of firewall or port blocking goin on.... have you tryed a number of different WiFi s ? Or just the one?

I have experienced this with a number of company and public WiFi hot spots.

I have thought about setting the server to use port 80 which is the used for standard web pages but I'm not sure what issues may arise from that

Edit seems strange that it connects thru your browser tho

Edited by Vidman

mikeinbelize

Hi Vidman, I have only tested the one WiFi. I originally thought the same as you, the port may be blocked (I'm trying it from a university WiFi point) however I can access my collection via chrome (just tried it now to make sure I'm not going crazy!) so I don't think it's that.

I think its app specific, but god knows.

Redshirt

on the other external wifi network, are you trying to connect to the noip address or the actual IP of your router. Have you tried both?

swhitmore

Is it just the one wifi connection that causes the issue? Can you try a different wifi connection from a different router?

• Like 1

I have the same problem with the Android app on two different tablets (Nexus 7 2013 and HP Touchpad running CM9).

I cannot access server with app through host (via no-ip), but can by using browser through host. App only connects to server using local IP address on home network.

The host connection (no-ip) also works fine with iOS app on iphone.  It is only the Android app not able to connect to server through host.

Redshirt

I use either dydns.org or the router IP without issue. I should set up a no-ip account to test.

mikeinbelize

For me specifically, I've tried my external IP and my no-ip address with the app and I can't connect with either. Both work via my browser though.

I don't have access to another WiFi at the moment, but I'll give it a go when I do (not sure when that'll be however).

ubernoob

I have the same problem on my Note 3.  I've tried with my external and internal IP's on several wireless networks, same behavior.   Chrome connects and plays fine but when using the Android client (v1.0.19), it hangs as soon as I try playing a video.  I also tried re-encoding and using different codecs and changing file extension but no change.

Works using latest MX Player as external player but not using native player

Edited by ubernoob

mikeinbelize

I have the same problem on my Note 3.  I've tried with my external and internal IP's on several wireless networks, same behavior.   Chrome connects and plays fine but when using the Android client (v1.0.19), it hangs as soon as I try playing a video.  I also tried re-encoding and using different codecs and changing file extension but no change.

Works using latest MX Player as external player but not using native player

Yep, this seems to be a problem for others on the forum too if you look at some of the other topics posted (I'm not sure how I missed them...). It appears to be a relatively common complaint.

I still haven't managed to figure it out and I've now tried other WiFis and get the same problem. I've pretty much given up on the app which is a shame since it's awesome otherwise!

• 7 months later...

I'm continuing to have issues trying to sign in to the app. Like the OP, I have no issues with the server coming up in Chrome, it shows all of my videos, no problems. But when I try using the app, it automatically tells me that there's no server found and to sign in with the IP/port. I have done this several times and nothing happens. AND I've bought both the app from the Amazon store (when it had been on sale for .99) and just now, the one from the Play Store (at nearly $5.00). I think I've managed to use this app twice for the time I've had it.

Isn't there an easier way to sign in? Like, why can't I just do a normal sign in? What could I be possibly doing wrong? I'm doing the ip/port exactly as they are when I pull up the browser. For a $5.00, I honestly want it to actually work and let me sign in. Suggestions??

EDIT - and for some weird reason, after fifteen minutes, it found the server.

Edited by Gina66

Redshirt

Without client logs and perhaps a screenshot or two I'd just be guessing what's wrong. 

Client logs are stored in SDCard\Mb3AndroidData\Logs

Edited by Redshirt

Cool1Net6

Hi. I'm having the same problem as OP - since updating to the recent "new and improved" android app, it erased my server info and I can't get it to take any server info at all. It literately does nothing. I press OK and it just goes back to "No Servers Found". Also like the OP, verified server works locally via MB Theater, locally via browser, and remotely via browser.

I do have some logs from my phone. Here are the last 5 I generated this morning. Hopefully this leads to a solution; this app is great and it would be nice to see my media on my phone again.

client-3aeb6355-6246-4491-a9fa-bf4fe9ecf435.txt

client-65e54998-a06d-47f8-b8fe-50a66b282e26.txt

client-08581ca0-afc8-453e-ab58-1a6eda10e4b6.txt

client-baa8d0cc-bf55-4e0b-af9a-7403bcf48cbc.txt

client-d8c4dba2-7653-4e9c-88e6-f515c37805cf.txt

Hi. I'm having the same problem as OP - since updating to the recent "new and improved" android app, it erased my server info and I can't get it to take any server info at all. It literately does nothing. I press OK and it just goes back to "No Servers Found". Also like the OP, verified server works locally via MB Theater, locally via browser, and remotely via browser.

I do have some logs from my phone. Here are the last 5 I generated this morning. Hopefully this leads to a solution; this app is great and it would be nice to see my media on my phone again.

Do you have the app running on another device, if so log them off. I had experienced a similar problem with the recent update. Also try shutting down the server and restart it. You could also try deleting the existing device data and re-typing your local ip address in. Or revoke the portable device API Key as an extreme solution.

What version of app an server are you running?

Edited by Damouav

Cool1Net6

I fixed my issue. The problem was the server needed to be updated. Unfortunately I don't remember my old server version (old style config menu, 3.0.5???).

For others with this problem, remember to update your server. I usually skip a couple versions because the Release branch is updated far too often for me to keep up. However, it looks like this time you need to update to get the android app to work. Once completed, the app successfully found my server and connected fine. 

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys,

Got a bit of a problem with the app and I can't quite figure out what is going on.

Firstly, what I've done and what works: I've forwarded the appropriate ports in my router settings (8096 and 8945)  to my server. If I am on my LAN I can access MB via my main PC or my phone (both the app and chrome browser). I can use either the local IP (192.168.X.X), 'name' (not sure what the correct term is, but for example, in my case, if I were to type it into windows browser, it'd be \\SERVER), my proper IP or my NO-IP address to access it. 

I can also connect to my server using 3G connection on my phone (both app and browser, using my real IP or NO-IP address).

However, here is the problem (finally!): if I connect to another wifi, I can no longer access my server via the app. I can access it via chrome and I can stream content (the streaming is a bit hit and miss, but I suspect that's the strength of the wifi at fault).

I cannot figure out what is going on here. Anyone got any idea?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike.. I have a opposite your problem..

I can access webserver via web page or browser of device..and i'm coding a new app to access webserver.. But i dont know how to access? can i Authorize my url to request? or do anything when requesting to webserver?

And how did you access to control webserver via android app?

Do you have any tutorial?

Thanks so much!