Subtitles are loaded on the second try

aptalca

aptalca

Hi,

I have emby server running in docker on a xeon server and a few libreelec 8 (kodi 17) based clients with the stable emby plugin.

When I play a TV show episode, almost every time, the subtitles aren't loaded (external srt). Kodi thinks they are loaded and enabled, but nothing is displayed. If I stop playback and start again, this time they are loaded and displayed properly. It's almost as if the first time kodi gets an empty subtitle file from emby.

Is it just me?

Thanks

Edited by aptalca

Angelblue05

How long do you wait? It takes a little bit of time for subtitles to kick in once you enable them. 

aptalca

If you're referring to the delay after enabling subtitles, that isn't it. My subtitles are set to be enabled by default.

During the first play, kodi says the subs are enabled but nothing is displayed. I waited several minutes in the past. Disabling and reenabling subs also did nothing. But if I stop and restart playback they are immediately displayed.

How can I further troubleshoot this? Debug log from kodi or emby server perhaps? I can do that when I get home

Edited by aptalca

Angelblue05

I guess kodi log with Kodi debug enabled. But I can't see what the problem could be. When you start, then you restart, it goes through the same code... so something else must be causing this. I have subs too and never experienced this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angelblue05

@@aptalca

Out of curiosity, does this also happen if you watch something in the web client? Also are you using addon or native playback (check the addon settings > sync options)?

Edited by Angelblue05

aptalca

I'm using the addon playback, not native.

I enabled debug logging in kodi and played a few files. Of course when logging is turned on it is much harder to reproduce issues. murphy's law? :)

I finally had success with an episode of Better Call Saul. In the attached log, the first time I play it, no subtitles are shown. But the osd audio menu shows subtitles as being available and enabled. I turn them off and on, but no change. Then I stop playback and restart it. The subtitles are shown immediately.

Here's the log: http://sprunge.us/WfiU

I didn't get a chance to test the web client yet, but I'll post results when I do. I don't use the web client a whole lot but I don't recall having an issue with subtitles on there.

Thanks

Edited by aptalca

Angelblue05

Can you tell me, does this happen regardless if you resume or not? In your logs, it seems you were resuming Better Call Saul. Does it happen if you start from the beginning too?

Nothing really stands out as abnormal in your log, but I'll keep looking. It sees the subtitles according to your logs, no idea why it's not loading them however.

Edited by Angelblue05

aptalca

It happens when I start fresh as well. It's just that this time, it happened on a resumed one. It's really off and on. That's why I hadn't bothered to report it until now.

Sometimes I start playing something and minutes later I notice the subs are not on. I stop and restart playback and they appear :-)

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Anyone else experience this issue with add-on playback?

@@aptalca

Thanks for your patience while I look into this. Nothing explains it, as I said previous, it runs the same code when you first play, and when you restart playback again (even your log don't show a difference). So it's a weird one for sure. I'll let you know if I find anything or I manage to reproduce this.

Edited by Angelblue05