TVGenre Icons

Starkadius

Starkadius

I have created these genre icons for the community to use for TV shows. Currently MediaBrowser does not support genre icons for TV shows but instead uses the movie genre artwork so basically I made these with the hopes that maybe one day when the server does support TV genres we can at least have these available to start off with.

I created the icons using the psd that is provided on the github (designed by Tikuf) so it can match the genre icons of the other media types (Movies/Music). All dimensions are the same as the movie genre thumb/folder images.

Hope you guys approve.

5305963f3bac9_1.jpg
5305965408739_2.jpg
530596669448b_312_zps01f0394b.jpg

Update: 2/28/2014 - Added "Supernatural Drama"
tv-supernatural_zps9f511490.jpg

Update: 3/2/2014 - Added "Cooking"
tv-cooking_zps0fb42b3a.jpg

Update: 3/3/2014 - Added "Anime"
tv-anime_zps458c5937.jpg

Update: 4/26/2014 - Added "Film Noir", "Home Videos", "TV Shows"
535b971ca6948_tvfilmnoir.jpg 535b972a2f89f_tvhomevideos.jpg 535b97327cbd0_tvshows.jpg

Update: 4/28/2014 - Added Multiple Language Genres
535e525241d9e_1.png

535e526201f17_2.png

535e528c24702_Swedish.jpg

Client Sample - Windows Phone MB App
530596d02eb69_4.jpg

Download
Includes (24 Genres)
  • folder.jpg (cover)
  • background.jpg (720p resolution)
  • thumb.jpg

Download
Includes (19 Language - Genres)

• folder.jpg (cover)
  • background.jpg (720p resolution)
  • thumb.jpg

Anime Genre Icons
547e92d17f655_anime.png

Asian Drama (Dorama) Genre Icons
547e953d7a413_dorama.png Edited by Starkadius
  • Like 16

buddyweiser

Starkadius is there a way to implement these genre icons manually so that the server doesn't use the movie genre icons for TV shows? Also, is there anyway you can create a genre icon for "Supernatural Drama"?

Starkadius

Starkadius is there a way to implement these genre icons manually so that the server doesn't use the movie genre icons for TV shows?

Disclaimer: I don't recommend anyone doing this in case TV Genres IS added at some point in the future. Since there is no way of predicting when that will be you can continue if you wish.

Yeah I am currently doing it manually. What I did was I added a prefix before the genre name.

For example any of the following will work:

Adventure --->  (TV) Adventure

Drama ---> (TV) Drama

53113d6e26490_228201455025PM.jpg

Adventure --->  [TV] Adventure

Drama ---> [TV] Drama

53113da1af186_228201455131PM.jpg

Adventure --->  TV Adventure

Drama ---> TV Drama

53113dc67f7e2_228201455211PM.jpg

In this example I used the first method with (TV)

53113f15601c5_228201455733PM.jpg

Then I made sure to lock the genre setting for the shows so that the metadata fetcher doesn't overwrite them.

53113edb8fb06_228201455549PM.jpg

53113f6febfd3_228201455607PM.jpg

Sometimes I have to restart the server for the new genre images to load properly.

Also, is there anyway you can create a genre icon for "Supernatural Drama"?

Sure, what shows do you have in mind? Give me at least 3 series names.

Usually I try selecting one of each era: Classic, Retro and Modern so that the genre icon can represent a broader range of shows. I don't always follow this method but hope it can give you an idea. You can always just give me modern series as examples, it is up to you how you want it.

Classic: 19XX-1979

Retro: 1980-1999

Modern: 2000-Today

buddyweiser

I can do that

Bitten(2014)

Grimm(2011)

The Originals(2013)
Sleepy Hollow(2013)

Teen Wolf(2011)

True Blood (2008)

The Vampire Diaries(2009)

Supernatural(2005)

Under the Dome(2013)

Lost(2004)

These are the only modern series I have as examples.

buddyweiser

Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Xena:Warrior Princess, and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys would probably fit the retro time

• Like 1

Starkadius

@@buddyweiser

Okay, done. I updated the original download link to include it. Hope it is to your liking. If not I can just try a different variation of it.

buddyweiser

@@Starkadius, that is great! Thanks alot bud! However, I was looking through  the images and found that in the suspense folder, the thumb is the same as the suspense background, but it says "Mystery" on it.

Starkadius

@@Starkadius, that is great! Thanks alot bud! However, I was looking through  the images and found that in the suspense folder, the thumb is the same as the suspense background, but it says "Mystery" on it.

Oops! Fixed. Glad you liked it.

buddyweiser

Starkadius, I used the Genre Cleaner Plugin to "Map" each genre to its (TV) Genre counterpart.post-963-0-81545200-1393798198_thumb.png

post-963-0-96018000-1393798203_thumb.png

I think this will be easier to change if/when TV genres are added to server functionality, no?

Also, I don't think I should have any trouble with the metadata fetcher overwriting the changes that the genre cleaner made?

Starkadius

Starkadius, I used the Genre Cleaner Plugin to "Map" each genre to its (TV) Genre counterpart.attachicon.gifGenre Map.png

attachicon.gifGenre map2.png

I think this will be easier to change if/when TV genres are added to server functionality, no?

Also, I don't think I should have any trouble with the metadata fetcher overwriting the changes that the genre cleaner made?

I was using Genre Cleaner to do this in the beginning and worked great. Problem is I also have Asian Drama/Dorama and an Anime Genre sets within the TV genres.

TV View

(TV) Adventure

(Anime) Adventure

(Dorama) Adventure

Genre Cleaner assigns the genres based on Media Types (Movies, TV) and not folders at the top level. Since Anime and Asian Dramas are TV, Genre Cleaner will assign my Anime shows as (TV) Adventure for example instead of (Anime) Adventure. Genre Cleaner cannot assign Adventure to (TV) Adventure AND to (Anime) Adventure for example. This would be resolved if we could base the Genre assigning on folder locations.

My hope is that eventually we will get Anime separation and I can use my own anime genre icons for those (which I am currently working on and not yet made available here). Asian Dramas having it's own media type is highly unlikely since I don't believe there is any demand for it unlike Anime.

Here are other examples where we can use our own sets as sub TV genre icons

(Documentary) Nature

(Documentary) History

(Documentary) Marine Life 

(Fitness) Flexibility

(Fitness) Strength Training

(Fitness) Aerobics

Since not everyone shares the same collection types it is assumed that all of these fall under TV when technically they don't. This is probably not a problem for you or most people though so yeah Genre Cleaner will work fine for you. No need to lock the genres either.

buddyweiser

I was using Genre Cleaner to do this in the beginning and worked great. Problem is I also have Asian Drama/Dorama and an Anime Genre sets within the TV genres.

TV View

(TV) Adventure

(Anime) Adventure

(Dorama) Adventure

Genre Cleaner assigns the genres based on Media Types (Movies, TV) and not folders at the top level. Since Anime and Asian Dramas are TV, Genre Cleaner will assign my Anime shows as (TV) Adventure for example instead of (Anime) Adventure. Genre Cleaner cannot assign Adventure to (TV) Adventure AND to (Anime) Adventure for example. This would be resolved if we could base the Genre assigning on folder locations.

My hope is that eventually we will get Anime separation and I can use my own anime genre icons for those (which I am currently working on and not yet made available here). Asian Dramas having it's own media type is highly unlikely since I don't believe there is any demand for it unlike Anime.

Here are other examples where we can use our own sets as sub TV genre icons

(Documentary) Nature

(Documentary) History

(Documentary) Marine Life 

(Fitness) Flexibility

(Fitness) Strength Training

(Fitness) Aerobics

Since not everyone shares the same collection types it is assumed that all of these fall under TV when technically they don't. This is probably not a problem for you or most people though so yeah Genre Cleaner will work fine for you. No need to lock the genres either.

I see. Well, I do not have that wide a variety of anime, so I just have all of my shows under a TV-Anime genre under TV Shows. Speaking of which, do you have a basic anime genre icon? I see you said you're working on some, but I didn't know if you had what I am looking for.

Aphid

Added basic Anime genre icon.

I don't think trying to spot the odd one out in that icon would be very challenging. 3 kids shows and one that.. probably isn't.

Starkadius

I don't think trying to spot the odd one out in that icon would be very challenging. 3 kids shows and one that.. probably isn't.

Hmm I went with that selection since I figured most people that don't have a huge anime collection probably have the more mainstream shows so I went for iconic anime. Evangelion (the odd one out) was selected only because it is a classic. This icon is suppose to be generic overall since I do have another set of anime icons in the works that caters to people that use the Anime plugin. Personally I wont use this "basic" Anime icon since I plan on having Anime being its own collection with its own icons. I don't mind remaking it though, I am open to suggestions  :).

• 2 weeks later...
Eiffel

Starkadius, great set of icons!

Would it be possible to add a 'Film Noir'  icon, as well as one for various nationalities or languages ('Indian' or 'Hindi', 'French', 'Spanish', 'British'), etc.?

Starlionblue

Hiya. Loving these but I have a request for a couple of additions.

- "Feature Films". Generic for any feature film that is not for kids.

- "TV Shows". Generic for any TV show that is not a miniseries or kids.

- "Home Videos". Generic for home videos.

If you have time, those three would really round out my MB installation.

buddyweiser

I never thought about it, but I would really like to see an icon for home videos also. Though, it would be way cooler for it to be personalized to the persons/family's home movies.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk