Support for Streaming services? PS Vue,Sling etc.

speedingcheetah

speedingcheetah

I Love Emby for its Live TV, Guide and DVR functions. Far better than Comcast cable box and their expensive X1 stuff.  Paired with a HDHome Run Prime cablecard network tuner...so nice to be able to make use of it on my computers and even remotely. 

However, Comcast is getting too expensive for me, even for their normal non X1 setup....they are sneaky bastards and  have been raising their other fess by a few $ every month...

"Cord cutter" TV streaming services I am been looking at....PS VUE, Sling...etc....some have their own DVR features, but I am pretty sure those recordings are locked to that service and are not downloadable.(Emby recordings are normal .MP4 files.)  PS Vue looks the most appealing to me as they are the only ones that have Discovery networks and I do watch those.  

Any possibility that Emby could somehow tie into online services like Sling, PS Vue, DirectTV Now....etc and still function as it does with a normal hardware TV tuner?  

I guess I could always just resort to certain websites to download tv rips of the shows i do watch...but thats not reliable or convenient..and risky...and...of course...not entirely legal.

None of those have an open api that we could utilize, and they don't really have much reason to create one either.

speedingcheetah

None of those have an open api that we could utilize, and they don't really have much reason to create one either.

Reason that would profit them....and not the customer.....sure, their service cost more than half what Comcast cost to watch the same channel...but you're locked into only using it via their website or app....i guess.

Edited by speedingcheetah

When your service is compelling enough you can make people come to you rather than having to open it up. And right now this is all very new so that is probably how they feel. 

tdiguy

I am betting it won't open up partially because they offer things like HBO who love to have their stuff under lock and key.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

BAlGaInTl

Yeah... those services are never going to create a public API. The control is too valuable to them for a multitude of reasons.  Even if they did, it would be extremely limited, and would probably block the features you really want/need.

Much better off using a separate device/interface with apps.

I use Android TV as my main interface along with Netflix, Amazon, and Emby (Live TV, DVR, and personal media).  I'll consider adding a streaming option at some point, but for now I'm good.

speedingcheetah

I tried the trial for these services. Like PS Vue the best...but kinda weird the way their "DVR" works.  More like an "On-Demand Plus" kinda thing.  But yea, only there for 28days. Would have to screen capture record anything i wanted to save locally.  Hate their guide layout.  

Anyway...also just tried Silicon Dust's HDHome Run DVR software thats kinda an extension of my Prime tuner itself now.  UI is rough and clumsy, but it works. Good backup in case my Emby server gets borked or something.

Dumb random question:   How do you pronounce Emby?  I have heard it both ways:  Em-bee  ... or...Em-bye...?

mastrmind11

I tried the trial for these services. Like PS Vue the best...but kinda weird the way their "DVR" works.  More like an "On-Demand Plus" kinda thing.  But yea, only there for 28days. Would have to screen capture record anything i wanted to save locally.  Hate their guide layout.  

Anyway...also just tried Silicon Dust's HDHome Run DVR software thats kinda an extension of my Prime tuner itself now.  UI is rough and clumsy, but it works. Good backup in case my Emby server gets borked or something.

Dumb random question:   How do you pronounce Emby?  I have heard it both ways:  Em-bee  ... or...Em-bye...?

Like "M.B", as in Media Browser.

speedingcheetah

Like "M.B", as in Media Browser.

I heard of Media Browser in the past....may have tried some software called that years ago...isn't that what Emby used to be called? Or has evolved from?

Edited by speedingcheetah

mastrmind11

I heard of Media Browser in the past....may have tried some software called that years ago...isn't that what Emby used to be called? Or has evolved from?

yep. Emby = new M.B.