Emby vs Plex

junadlao

Real time monitoring is just that.  It has no relationship with any scheduled task.  If you have that enabled, you certainly do not need a library scan every 15 minutes.

CBers

Real time monitoring is just that. It has no relationship with any scheduled task. If you have that enabled, you certainly do not need a library scan every 15 minutes.

Stated the same here also :)

• 3 months later...
Chyron

I'm a brand new user to Emby, coming over from Plex after the "News" feature was forcibly implemented in combination with the lack of attention to user requested features/fixes.

So... I'm trying to get a grasp on the differences and similarities between the two. Most everything I find on the subject is years old (and certainly Plex's UI and feature set has changed in the last few years); or else it compares multi-stream transcoding performance and such which isn't at issue for me.

What I want to know is, as a HOME MEDIA SERVER for locally stored content, which is what Plex was supposed to primarily focus on but doesn't anymore, what are the current similarities and differences between Emby and Plex?

for example: I notice Emby has "Books" listed in the Libraries I can create. Is that Audiobooks or ebooks? If audiobooks, does it support m4b with chapter breaks?

I would really like a break down of Emby's feature set (free and/or member) with a comparison to what it does that Plex doesn't or vice versa. Is there such a place where I can find this information that is fairly current?

legallink

@@chyron8472 I don't think emby has every done a public feature for feature comparison with Plex.  There are people that comment one way or the other, but I don't htink it exists in a formal format.

Jdiesel

It would be very tough to create a list of features let alone one with enough detail to explain all the caveats of each feature. My advice would be to try it for a month and make the comparison yourself. You can easily run Plex and Emby side-by-side if you choose. 

Gilgamesh_48

The problem about a feature to feature comparison is that both are adding features all the time. Plex in response to what they think is the best money grab and Emby in response to user input, mostly.

Also there are many "features" that both have but are implemented quite differently.

The best way to determine in Emby can replace Plex for you is to run both for a while but make a real effort to only use the new one for you (Emby) for a period of time. That is what I did and I no longer use my Plex setup at all even though it is still active. My Plex runs on my Shield TV so it does not get in the way at all.

I, too, do not use any remote access and I find that for my use Emby is at least as good as Plex in every way and better in many.

BTW: If you find a missing feature just ask. The developers here are extremely responsive (don't get a fat head guys) and you may be surprised when you request something and it shows up a short time later. I know I was surprised when that happened to me. :)

I have moved pretty much fully from Plex to Emby and I do not think I am missing Plex at all. There are a few little irritants but those could be from the fact that I used Plex for so long.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
madbaztard

Wondering if anyone may have a answer of why Plex picks up all my media and Emby doesn't. Meaning my movie library contains 3970 movies. Plex recognizes all of them. Emby only recognizes 3499.. The library structure is the same on both servers. File formats are mp4,avi, and mkv. Title and dates are set to Emby guide lines for each movie. I'd greatly appreciate any help someone may have to offer. Thank you

Edited by madbaztard

Hi there, welcome. Can you please discuss some examples and show us what the folder structure looks like? thanks !

madbaztard

The folder structure is set up within the server dashboard...... I have multi drives.... so the standard would be c:\movies d:\movies f:\movies g:\movies h:\movies.... and each movie has it's own folder for nfo trailer fanart subs and so on. As far as an example not sure what you mean or how I can do that. So ....3 Days To Kill.mp4 shows up on my plex server but not my emby server. Understand the same folder structure is the same on both emby and plex.

dcrdev

The folder structure is set up within the server dashboard...... I have multi drives.... so the standard would be c:\movies d:\movies f:\movies g:\movies h:\movies.... and each movie has it's own folder for nfo trailer fanart subs and so on. As far as an example not sure what you mean or how I can do that. So ....3 Days To Kill.mp4 shows up on my plex server but not my emby server. Understand the same folder structure is the same on both emby and plex.

I have that movie - terrible btw...

Shows up fine for me - is it by chance because the file/folder name doesn't include the year it was released? Here's my folder structure:

[root@hell01-serv01 Movies]# echo /storage/Movies/3*Days* && ls -hlpa  /storage/Movies/3*Days*
/storage/Movies/3 Days to Kill (2014)
total 870M
drwxrwsr-x+   2 root storage   11 Nov  2 21:13 ./
drwxrwsr-x+ 463 root storage  463 Dec  6 17:46 ../
-rw-rw-r--.   1 root storage 869M Jun  7  2014 3 Days to Kill (2014).mp4
-rw-rw-r--.   1 root storage  12K Nov 14 19:24 3 Days to Kill (2014).nfo
-rw-rw-r--.   1 root storage  31K Nov  2 21:12 banner.jpg
-rw-rw-r--.   1 root storage 298K Nov  2 21:12 clearart.png
-rw-rw-r--.   1 root storage 745K Nov  2 21:13 disc.png
-rw-rw-r--.   1 root storage 147K Nov  4  2015 fanart.jpg
-rw-rw-r--.   1 root storage 386K Nov  4  2015 landscape.jpg
-rw-rw-r--.   1 root storage  65K Nov  4  2015 logo.png
-rw-rw-r--.   1 root storage 416K Nov  4  2015 poster.jpg

madbaztard

No it's not a date issue, most of my movies do include the date. A difference of 471 movies from one server to the other....I have always named folders and movies to Emby guide lines and always stayed with only 3 formats but try to keep em mp4 as much as I can. It's not just the one movie example I showed. But thanks for the input 

dcrdev.

Not sure where to find the file structure, other than here

Good day,

Example as where you store your media:

Like mine for that movie:

5a30652a0e9ba_20171213_22232.jpg

My best

madbaztard

That was a example of one of the drives here is a screenshot (not a drive on the server....just a example......Home now so here is a screenshot of the folders5a30682192694_emmby.jpg

So the screenshot not an option for that movie folder?

For the movie: 3 days to kill

As I post mine, Luke was asking for something like that.

madbaztard

No it doesn't I was using that as an example (wasn't home to send screenshot).....above is a shot of the media folders. I used 3 days to kill as a example as well, there are 470 other movie from the different drives that do not show up.......

madbaztard

Guys, I'm just gonna rebuild the library, I must have missed a drive...not seeing it right now, but I must have.....that's all it can be with that many missing. I'll get back to ya and let you know. Will take a while for it all to reload. Thanks for your time 

madbaztard

Okay I have rebuilt the libraries in both Plex and Emby. They are both the same structure. And all is still the same as it was 470 movie difference. But I'm pretty sure I now know why. I have 239 movie collections. Plex counts every single movie where as Emby counts a collection as 1 even if the collection contains 2 or more movies. This is the only thing that can explain the difference. How I over looked this is beyond me. I will verify this by disabling collections in Emby. Hope this is useful someday to someone else. Duhhhh.

madbaztard

Okay after disabling the boxsets plugin and restarting the server rescaning and restart nothing changed, the sever doesn't want to release the boxsets. Not a problem I did the math and it is indeed the count of one on the boxsets that is causing the difference in the total number of movies. Problem/non problem solved. I do thank everyone for their input :)

• Like 1

Good day @@madbaztard

I thought emby "did not see some movies", well if it count matters, then no need to uninstall the auto box set plugins, simply from the emby dash:

Library - Display

Unckeck the box: Group movies into collections

That will solve the problem counting.

If you still want a collection library in your home screen, enable the option: Display a collection view ....

5a31e722cea3c_20171214_54841.jpg

My best